FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-17-2008, 08:04 AM

It looks as though it may not have been an instructor at all and it sounds like its unclear as to exactly where the problem, if any occurred. Sorry if I alarmed anyone.

Things tend to look a little different from the water when looking towards the beach, including what area you’re riding in, as most of the hotels look the same from that side.

Oh, and Bo Bo, I will get my directors chair from you when I see you, maybe later today at the circus. Hollywood Henderson has another later this week and I can’t be without my seat.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 AM

Someone on this forum called me on saturday before I got to PAG to tell me that he was at the undertow and that someone was lofting on the beach and jumping very close to shore.

I was asked by this guy on the forum that when I made my way to the tow on my downwind to try and say something to the lofter since he seemed to be disregarding safety advice that BoBo the Safety Clown and all other instructors teach.

From my earlier post my downwinder was delayed a bit due to a crab trap buoy so when I reached the tow all I saw was a cold beer(s) with my name on it.

I will contact this guy on here unless he reads this and wants to post who it was lofting on the beach at the tow.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Skyway Scott

Danny,

Please PM and let me know who called you. It had to be the same the guy that called me and left a message. I can't figure out who it was. Thanks.

Toby, why do you think we would lose EB due to one incident or a guy doing something wrong?
Did Jim give you that impression? I am under the impression he is willing to ban individuals if necessary, but not us all.
If he told you otherwise, I would like to know. I am under a different impression and have therefore been pretty laid back out at EB when I see somewhat about to do a semi kook launch, etc., but maybe things have changed recently.
Did he say something to make you believe that we could all be banned from EB? If so, it's a no brainer that we need to talk with him and figure out more strict self regulation steps out there pronto.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:32 AM

so.. off the subject did any one ride this morning....
scott you hurting to much?

you should see the bottom of my foot, i cant beleive i let you guys talk me into doing more loops.....
Old 03-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Skyway Scott

You did 4 to 8, I did 40 - Imagine how I feel.
I am going out in ten minutes.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
Danny,

Please PM and let me know who called you. It had to be the same the guy that called me and left a message. I can't figure out who it was. Thanks.

Toby, why do you think we would lose EB due to one incident or a guy doing something wrong?
Did Jim give you that impression? I am under the impression he is willing to ban individuals if necessary, but not us all.
If he told you otherwise, I would like to know. I am under a different impression and have therefore been pretty laid back out at EB when I see somewhat about to do a semi kook launch, etc., but maybe things have changed recently.
Did he say something to make you believe that we could all be banned from EB? If so, it's a no brainer that we need to talk with him and figure out more strict self regulation steps out there pronto.
Well if we have guys slamming kites down on tourists I just don't think that it would follow the safety that you and I preach each and every day Scott. I did discuss access with him and he said we were okay because we didn't get any complaints except from one windsurfer that was frustrated that we had monopolized the area. He told them that the ocean was big enough for us all and I agreed telling him that we liked riding with the polesurfers. He did, however say that he would need to reassess that if we started getting complaints (which we haven't, YET). But then again, no innocent bystander has gotten cut by lines or smashed into by a kite or drug down the beach that I can remember...once again...YET. Nipping kooky behavior in the bud is what I thought we had discussed prior to now and if we want to approach it 'laid back', that if fine but if I had been a newb, I would have been hit by a kite (and lines) not once but twice by the same rider Saturday. If someone had been standing downwind of this rider, they would have been hit by the kite. And if noone had helped this rider like I did, he was screwed because the kite was inverted and dragging him and he didn't have the sense to unhook and depower the kite. So seeing as Jim was super cool but and expressed his interest in us and support, he did also mention that if issues started occurring on a regular basis, he would need to reassess. Imagine how many kites will be on the water in 3 years at EB on any given day. Should we start now or just wait until access is threatened? I vote for showing Ft. DeSoto and Jim Wilson that we are a proactive, responsible group and not reactive. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the signs and tagging system never happened and I personally thought it was the best approach...
Old 03-17-2008, 09:35 AM

toby... as i was leaving on Saturday I saw Jayson talking to the kid on the TD.. not sure if he laid down the law or what .. but it looked like he was giving him advice on his obvious lack of skill.. hopefully this helped the situation.

i was out on the water for 4 hours on Saturday and he was an obvious newbie.. didnt see him doing anything intentionally reckless but he definitely was struggling at times and didnt have great control of his kite.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 03-17-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <jason View Post
Almost crashed my kite on some slingshot(fuel-machine?) rider, man he was pissed yelling at me and sh1t...i apoligized a bunch of times...but he didnt seem to care
So I told him to go FU_K himself.......................
ahaha.. i was directly behind you guys when this happened (green 13m 2008 waroo)..

you really had your kite too low..

i assumed that there had been some other incidents and thats why Erick got so riled up.

good to see that there is now an understanding..

i got called out at Sunset Beach last week when i riding too close to shore.. completely justified and the guy was *slightly* more rude that i would have been .. but that was cool..
i understood what he was saying and didnt take offense.

i did have a guy fly his kite into mine about 3 or 4 months ago and my mouth spat a sea of vulgarities.. so it happens..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa