FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > STANDUP - Standup Paddleboarding, Beach-Boy Surfing, Standup Surfing or Hui O He'e Nalu
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-30-2008, 09:24 AM

Default Circumnavigated St. Pete Beach

Got some great new SUP's for the summertime from East Coast Paddleboarding located over in Jupiter decided we'd try our luck with a long distance paddle amidst the summer storms. Myself and four other local tampa kiters (wells, john, ty, and erick) started from the wharf in Pass-A-Grille and went north on the intercostal to blinds pass then back south on the gulf to the southern tip of the Grille and back up to the wharf, totaled about 12 miles i think and definitely saw a wide array of marine life, rays, dolphin, tarpon, bait bait bait & more bait, as well as a shark or two in the passes.

Great way to exercise and spend a saturday, the cooler we brought was a life saver, i'll make sure to bring a camera next time we're thinking about eggmont key. Let us know if anyones interested in going the distance!

I give up i can't figure out how to link a google map but all of st pete beach from 20th ave on pass-a-grille way north and back again if you want to see it.

Last edited by TritonKiteboarding; 06-30-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 06-30-2008, 09:35 AM

Talking

got it figured out, we deffinitly poorly timed the winds too we had head winds on both the east and west sides at certain points, Summer........

Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 PM

Thumbs up

Hey, I had a great time paddling for hours and hours. You guys definitely tested my endurance. Matt you're right great exercise. If I would know the path before starting must probably wouldn't have joined you guys. LOL
Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Well done guys! About how long did the paddle take? Good luck on your run to Egmont Key, hope it goes well. Be sure to grab some pictures on the way and put them up.

Reminds me of the time I went to cross to Egmont with my roommate at USF on his antique sunfish. It was in early March, we were hit by the squall line of a wet front (cold now, no wetsuits) and the thing started to sink about half way across? I should have stuck to diving or waited for kiting to come along.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-01-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
Well done guys! About how long did the paddle take? Good luck on your run to Egmont Key, hope it goes well. Be sure to grab some pictures on the way and put them up.

Reminds me of the time I went to cross to Egmont with my roommate at USF on his antique sunfish. It was in early March, we were hit by the squall line of a wet front (cold now, no wetsuits) and the thing started to sink about half way across? I should have stuck to diving or waited for kiting to come along.
Took us about 6 hours with some nasty head winds at points in both directions, we'll be sure to get some pics next time i'll bring my olympus. That must have been a trip on an old sunfish
Old 07-01-2008, 09:25 PM

Default stand up

6 HOURS! thats insane I needed my my backpack cooler with cold heinekens just to go down the beach at Smathers
Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsedave View Post
6 HOURS! thats insane I needed my my backpack cooler with cold heinekens just to go down the beach at Smathers
Yep, it was insane. Actually they had to wait for me like 10 times because i was getting behind. Dam kids!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 PM

Default wow, long paddle!

wow, long paddle!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:03 PM

it was a good warmup, I ended up heading up to manhattan for the seapaddlenyc.org paddle. It was an autism awareness event and a fundraiser for some great surf oriented causes. 28 miles around manhattan, that was intense