FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Skyway Scott

I take that as a very nice compliment that you would say that Amber.
I think we have a bunch of people that could do a great job.

I spoke a reporter last year after the CK power line incident and he twisted everything I said.
Then they sent a lady out to "talk about the safety stuff". Yeah, right. Al, Bob and I did safety stuff for ten minutes and they clipped it all out.
I don't think it matters who talks to them. Maybe "how" though. I would record the interview.
That way if they seriously misquote you, you have it on tape. I couldn't believe the stuff the guy whipped outta hiz as.s. last year.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:32 AM

Just throwin out things to think about. Spoke to some riders from East Beach yesterday, and the wind didn't get side off until late in the day. That is beside the point.

I always look for the best possible riding scenerio. That's just me. On an E or NE I always choose EB. For me, it feels like the safer option.

Yes, the wind was fine yesterday, but what if a nasty squall came through and caught just one off guard. That is all it takes right.....just one incident.

On those evenings of huge spikes out of the East, it seems riders at the Skyway are always the ones to suffer. Dragged onshore, released kites going over the interstate.
Remember the kid that got dragged into the rocks? The only reason Chris got into his mess last year at Dunedin was other riders were riding that spot and made it seem acceptable and ok. Well, those riders don't ride there anymore. They have images of Chris to remind them that it's a bad idea to ride the north side of the causeway.

The scene at Tiki beach was about as gruesome as it gets according to Neil. It has changed him, and how he is going to do things down there. One incident can have that kind of impact.

The biggest thing I have gained from the incident, is to spend a bit more time training new students about bad weather and what to look for. We should all make an effort to continue spreading the word about our weather. Scott and many others are leaders out there trying to get the word out especially as it is happening. Kevin is likely that rider that has been told 1000 times, but just doesn't listen. Well, he might listen now if he makes it through. Some have to learn things the hard way.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Skyway Scott

If you want to really affect change locally Steve-O, you have the opportunity. WSW sponsors several local riders. I encourage you to put your efforts toward making them the absolute best role models possible.
If they prove to fall short, simply take away the sponsorship.

Once others witness WSW sponsored riders practicing what you preach, it will surely have a positive impact.

It's fairly obvious that this approach could work nationwide to affect rider behavior. What's not obvious is anyone actually doing it.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 AM
kitekristrudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
Just throwin out things to think about. Spoke to some riders from East Beach yesterday, and the wind didn't get side off until late in the day. That is beside the point.

I always look for the best possible riding scenerio. That's just me. On an E or NE I always choose EB. For me, it feels like the safer option.
East Beach is covered with palm trees, steel signs, steel poles, channel markers, and cars very close to shore. I was always taught it is an advanced riding location due to the obstacles. As far as I remember there have been more serious accidents at East Beach than at the skyway. Some required an ambulance and one a helicopter. Isn't that where bayflite earned his unfortunate nick name? As far as I am concerned both locations are dangerous regardless of wind direction because wind direction can change in an instant especially if it is a squall.

Quote:
The scene at Tiki beach was about as gruesome as it gets according to Neil. It has changed him, and how he is going to do things down there.
Have you ever heard the phrase a day late and a dollar short?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitekristrudo View Post
East Beach is covered with palm trees, steel signs, steel poles, channel markers, and cars very close to shore. I was always taught it is an advanced riding location due to the obstacles. As far as I remember there have been more serious accidents at East Beach than at the skyway. Some required an ambulance and one a helicopter. Isn't that where bayflite earned his unfortunate nick name? As far as I am concerned both locations are dangerous regardless of wind direction because wind direction can change in an instant especially if it is a squall.
the reason EB has had the most accidents is because it has the most people riding it.... simple as that

and i think the point stevo was trying to make (atleast what i was thinking) was that on a NE wind, EB is sideshore, this means that is a strong gust hits and you lose control, you get drug along the shoreline instead of onshore like at the skyway..... much safer

and even though there are signs and trees... its still in my opinion one of the safer places to ride... i cant think of a safer place off the top of my head...

beaches have people and deep water
LP is onshore
SW has rocks
Sunset has a small launch area

maybe north beach (if theres not alot of people)
Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 AM
kitekristrudo

They are both side shore in NE. But to tell the truth the skyway safety subject seems like it was meant to be an insult to one particular person or group of people who ride at the skyway. Thats how it seems to me.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:00 AM

SW is not really side shore on a NE... more side on.... (depending where you launch from)
Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitekristrudo View Post
Have you ever heard the phrase a day late and a dollar short?

thats a little xtreme dude.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 PM

I wouldn't take anything Steve-O says as insulting. He is a very safety oriented rider who I have ridden with on many occasions.

His point is, if you have two places to ride the same wind direction and one is safer than the other, why go ride in a riskier spot?

I'd rather run into a palm tree or sign at east beach than the mangroves, rocks, or multiple roads at the skyway. There is a very close access road, an on ramp to 275, and 275 itself with cars doing 70+. Not much room for error.

There have been some bad accidents at the skyway as well as east beach, the extent of damage for ones self at the skyway could very well be beyong the scope of what anyone has seen before if the right conditions are present...

I posted earlier that I rode the skyway yesterday and I did this ONLY because you can't ride EB on a straight north wind.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:03 PM

we've had the east beach vs. skyway discussion before. I personally choose not to ride at skyway because for ME, it makes me nervous that there is a smaller window of error. When it comes down to it, we are all adults and as long as people are aware of possible hazards at launches (if you're not sure, ASK!) they will make choices that not everyone agrees with.

Everyone should make it a habit to ask experienced riders about potential hazards anytime you're at a new launch.