FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-10-2006, 12:01 PM

danny can you post link to the JAW site or more info on their boards?

thanks!

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 05-10-2006, 12:04 PM
E-Bone

Yeah, whatever the cost, a lightwind board that actually works is worth every penny when you get to yell to your buddies, "hey, it's awesome, come on out" when you are the only one at the session who can go upwind. I've had that moment on the skimboard, then on the Glide, and I love it.

For summertime, is it really worth trying to ride on a small board? In my view, not unless there is a wind event. Otherwise, you are just dragging ass anyhow.

Scott, fine, we'll throw down for a Wendy's combo. I can afford that, even if you go for the triple.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Can't Re-member

wrote:
Quote:
when you are the only one at the session who can go upwind

Thats only cause I'm not always in the mood to rig the 23.5M with the directional board

Yeah, I'll make that a triple please! :lol:
Old 05-10-2006, 12:23 PM
E-Bone

F*** that 23.5! I am still sore about you killing my electric pump with that thing at the Skyway last year. I had to pump up my 20m by hand as a result and my shoulders still feel it.

Monster kite. You can never get lost while kiting in Tampa Bay with that thing because one of the wingtips is always over land.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 PM

I can't wait to pump up the 25.5 Machine!!! :shock: :twisted:
Old 05-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Skyway Scott

I know everyone has a different approach to all things and that is cool.

For me, I would rather pay 3 times an amount, but do it only once and be completely satisfied for a long time frame. In kiting, IMO, the place to sink your cash (if anywhere) is the board. In our light winds here, the board is much more important than the kite, IMO.
I hope this board lasts 3 seasons (longer than a kite) too, so, that's how I rationalize it.
My 157 UG is going on its third year. I rode it almost every time I rode for three years That comes down to about 30 cents an hour... I think.
I am thinking this Aggression is its replacement (or at least my 14 knot less "go to board")

With the cost of gas these days, I BETTER be riding and having fun if I drive out and its only blowing 11 or so. And, I'd like to be doing my THREE tricks and attempting one more with a board that doesn't feel like a plank in the air (no offense to some other light wind boards)

To each his own.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:47 PM

I agree with Scott in some ways, only my approach is a little better I think. I wait for some chump to have his fun with a kite or board for a few months and then realize that what they bought wasn't actually what they needed at the time.

I am all set for summer's light winds with a 20.5M SS Machine in perfect shape that I paid $800 for, a 25.5M SS Machine that is like new that I paid $800 for, and an Underground 152 Pro Carbon Magic Carpet that I bought for $400 off of some chump who paid full price named Skyway Scott!!! :P :lol: :twisted:

EDIT: Not insulting you Scott, just having a little fun here...at my friends' expense!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Skyway Scott

I paid $475 for that board used and in mint condition off a guy in Cali and gave you a great deal on it. Your approach would not be possible without people cutting you deals (such as the UG)

Buying used gear is a good idea, especially if off of people who kept it in great shape and are selling it at a great price.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:54 PM

Great boards, I'm not really sure why noone has scooped it up yet...blows my mind because if I had the cash, I'd buy it as a backup!
Old 05-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Skyway Scott

Unreal.

I just got back from RIDING... yes I said Kiteboarding!!

Okay... here is the scoop (get some coffee.. this is E-bone'ish)

I got my board, put it together.. kissed it.. took pics of it.. you know .. new board luv!

I am jonesin to ride it, so I hit Cypress at about 3:30. It is blowing ALL of 8-11 (11 max). I forgot my 20m (great I am thinking :roll: ) so I rig my 16m calling myself a loser the whole time.

I hop on in the water in next to nothing and........ UNREAL.. I am riding and going upwind at will. (Oh yeah, it was choppy too.. HOW come its choppy at Cypress ALL the time??!)

Long story short... I was in shock. The board has zero drag.. so it is honestly like riding on ice skates or something. 4 years ago the line of thinking appeared to be.... let's make the biggest kite with as much POWER as possible to power these inneficient POS boards we got.

The new, wiser thinking (IMO) seems to be - let's make a board with the most efficient design to minimize the amount of power necessary to ride, especially in real light winds.
This board is definitely good at doing that. I was planing and moving forward (at about 12knots) with about 8 knots of wind and was really moving out in 10 knots of wind (on a 16m) and jumping (about 5 feet) and having a good time.

Awesome feeling, being powered up in next to nothing. :P