FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northeast Florida
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-03-2006, 09:52 PM

Default New Smyrna?-please help

alright guys, ive recently came upon kitesurfing and i really want to learn. problem is i like in oklahoma and the lake that people kitesurf on is not too beginner friendly and there is no instruction school here. Although, i am going to New Smyrna Beach, Florida this summer for vacation. and i would like to know if there is an instructional school close to New Smyrna because this may be my only chance to go to an instructional school.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: New Smyrna?-please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy
alright guys, ive recently came upon kitesurfing and i really want to learn. problem is i like in oklahoma and the lake that people kitesurf on is not too beginner friendly and there is no instruction school here. Although, i am going to New Smyrna Beach, Florida this summer for vacation. and i would like to know if there is an instructional school close to New Smyrna because this may be my only chance to go to an instructional school.
I don't know of any off hand. I sent an email to David St. John who lives in New Symrna to see if he can offer some prospects. Two operations come to mind up and down the coast a ways including:

Pat
http://www.oceanextremesports.com/
St. Augustine, FL

AJ
http://www.kitetricity.com/
Close to Melbourne, FL

A map showing both locations and New Symrna appears at: http://tinyurl.com/mv3jv
Have a good vacation!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-04-2006, 12:15 PM

Default Re: New Smyrna?-please help

Hi Ozzy,

New Smyrna is not the best place to learn either, unfortunately, although if the waves are small it can be fine (and it's a *great* place once you get over the learning curve). The only instructor I know of in the area is Mike at Sandy Point Progressive Sports. Call (386) 756-7564 and talk to someone about kite lessons. I'm sure they can hook you up.

I'd start with them, but I know both Eddie and AJ personally and they are great instructors. Wouldn't be too far to drive either way, and you might even convince them to meet you somewhere like Titusville (which is an excellent place to learn).

It's great to see you taking a lesson! Be sure to check the wind while you're here. If it's windy, you'll probably find me at the Inlet (E) or doing a downwinder on the beach (N-NE or S-SE). Maybe we'll cross paths.

Good luck, and welcome to a great sport!

David
Old 05-04-2006, 09:21 PM

alright guys thanks so much i'll be calling some ppl
Old 06-03-2006, 09:01 AM

I'm a native of the area also just getting into the sport...if your experience is lake only thus far, I suggest trying to hook up with AJ just south of Melbourne on the River...no current, shallow water launch, he has a catch boat, and a small group of friendly local folks as well.

I've taken a lesson from Eddy out of Matanzas (St. Augustine) and if you are willing to deal with the variables of wind and tide, that's a good option.

PS Wear lots of sunscreen
Old 06-03-2006, 07:06 PM

yea im gonna call mike at progressive sports this week to see if he can give me lessons...im leaving for new symerna saturday so if anyone sees someone learning around that area...its me
Old 06-03-2006, 11:48 PM

Progressive has more toys than you can shake a stick at...have fun! If you are renting a car at MCO, get front wheel drive in case you want to drive on the beaches.