FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-24-2008, 05:44 PM

I look forward to it H, I respect and value your knowledge and opinion. Have a good trip!

My reference to retailers had much more to do with the non-kiters operating out of their cars- with no respect, knowledge, or concern for the local scene.
Seeing gear being sold up and down the beach at non kiting related businesses(surf shops)should be a concern of everyone. Surf shops can blow out gear to anyone and have nothing to lose if we get banned.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 AM

Ok who saw the GMA piece? It was not good. Glad Kevin's doing better but that did not paint the sport in a good light or kiters as responsible individuals. Saying he'd do the same thing again(kite in squally weather) but just come in a little earlier, and the reason he was out in a tropical storm was the summer was really slow for wind. OUCH
Old 08-25-2008, 08:36 AM

Default Good Morning America

speaks for itself - not good

http://abcnews.go.com/gma
Old 08-25-2008, 09:02 AM

Thanks for posting that link.

This guy is lucky to be alive and should count his blessings. I'm glad he is ok, but he def. sounds like an idiot saying he would go back out, next time won't be exactly the same, so at what point is "coming in earlier" when you can't predict the wind?

This guy had a chance to really get in front of a camera and explain this situation and could have eased alot of peoples minds about our sport and his actions, he really dropper the ball.

Its especially bad when the reporter weather man warn the viewers!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:00 PM

Thumbs down What a loser...

I try to get along with everyone and am truly glad Kevin is not dead or seriously injured...but Kevin, you are still a complete douche.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:10 PM

Here is another interview that was posted on youtube.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:22 PM

What an intersesting interview. I hope his snowboard helmet can provide him enough protection in the future. As human I'm glad he is still alive and healing as a kiteboarder all i want to say is shut up your mouth!!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:55 PM

I had written something similar to what many are saying about this interview...I too feel that it is in more or less words that he is a bad representation of our sport. HOWEVER, I would advise everyone to read RickIs post at this thread: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=7078

RickI continues to impress me with his diplomatic deliveries and ability to stay objective.

Danny
Old 08-25-2008, 09:04 AM

Great to get that cleared up alittle. Putting pressure on the manufacturers to stop this crap would also be a plus. I saw alot of stuff that has to do with this thread when I worked at Best. I tried to change it but was very hard to do to a company that just cared about sales. Any joe-blow could sell Best kites on the beach by calling them and stateing that they wanted to be a retailer. You didn't even have to know how to kite or have a retail shop which is still the situation. At one time I found out that they (Best) were going to let a jet ski repair shop be a retailer. None of the guy there even new how to kite. They had actually gone to the shop that was a retailer and asked to barter for lessons and gear in trade for jet ski repairs. When the shop said no, the guys went home and called Best and said how do we become a retailer and Best said "your a retailer now". I put a stop to it but not without a struggle to get them to realize what they were doing was wrong. We must put some blame where blame is due. They still sell to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteboarding Tampa Bay View Post
I look forward to it H, I respect and value your knowledge and opinion. Have a good trip!

My reference to retailers had much more to do with the non-kiters operating out of their cars- with no respect, knowledge, or concern for the local scene.
Seeing gear being sold up and down the beach at non kiting related businesses(surf shops)should be a concern of everyone. Surf shops can blow out gear to anyone and have nothing to lose if we get banned.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:28 AM

that look the weatherman had when they cut to him during the interview was classic!

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa

Last edited by bryanleighty; 08-25-2008 at 11:41 AM.