FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-17-2006, 09:33 PM

Default any reviews/opinions on the SS LFT 167x49

thinking of getting one for my light wind/wave board, my 144x39 just doesnt cut it at 200lbs
Old 04-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Skyway Scott

Is that the big red white and black thing with the SS star on it?
If so, its average, at best, IMO. I think a skimboard is a good choice.
Cheap, fun and light wind machine. It helps your balance, too.
(I fully expect to see you with the LFT now)
Old 04-18-2006, 05:09 AM

skim boards are great but my home made "door" is better...
im looking for something that i can use on light (underpowered) days in waves/chop, at my wieght my boards just to small for wave riding, plus the guy is selling it $150 so i figure its worth it if its in decent shape....right?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:57 AM

For that kind of money why don't you just throw in like another hundred dollars and try to work something out with Trent Hink on an Anomaly Danny??? I have never actually rode one but Tom SWEARS by his!!! And I think they are pretty customized to your liking...plus, it'd be brand new instead of used!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:18 PM

ive ridden them and they are great boards but your talking over twice the price, and you all keep forgetting that i dont have any money :cry: , if i did id already have me a 9m 'ROO' :shock: , so i have to find deals where ever i can....
plus this boards is almost 2inches wider and 10inches longer then the anamoly, its also 3cm thick which makes it extra floaty so it should be good for riding/carving waves(more like a surfboard than kiteboard) which is what i want
Old 04-18-2006, 12:33 PM

Length and Width don't make the board much better... more in design.

Plus, past a certain length and width you'll lose low end.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420
Length and Width don't make the board much better... more in design.

Plus, past a certain length and width you'll lose low end.
not sure id agree with you, ive been underpowered on my 21m riding a 144x39 and i saw another guy riding a 13m on a 10ft kayak :shock: ,.....i know its not the same but i dont think you lose low end with a bigger board, but youd lose some control in higher wind and the ability to hold the edge when over powered in chop,
and i dont think the boards to big for me, maybe for a 150lb rider but not a 200lb rider, but thats my opinion so it might be wrong :shock:
Old 04-18-2006, 01:00 PM

Dan and I made 3 kiteboards this weekend. From 1 piece of plywood we were able to put together a long Glide-like board, a medium sized 135ish and 120cm wider board.

We've been riding ply boards since day 1. I do have a 160 board I got from ebone that helped me a lot, especially in heavy chop and waves.. its got quite a bit of rocker so I need to be powered up more on those flat water days.

The ply boards we put together in the past, we tried to do the multilayer, adhesive inbetween and putting in a rocker, etc. but I'll tell ya that our little *test* board RIPS. its just a piece of plywood, cut very very crudely into a kinda-kiteboard shape and then sealed with marine varnish. It flies upwind. no rocker, and just heel side fins.

I cannot wait to put our new boards to the test. We spent a lot of time working on the shapes and getting some killer edges cut. Also the graphics we're going to be putting on them should be eye catching. I'll take some pics ASAP and post.

All in all.. 3 board cost us 35$ for the ply and another 20 - 30$ on sandpaper and varnish. Paint optional. Pretty time consuming .. but what else are you going to do on a non-windy Sunday?

-B

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 04-18-2006, 01:08 PM

i got my glide replica, its 155x50, best light wind board ive ridden but you cant ride/carve waves (or even go through big chop) on a piece of ply that well and thats what i want the board for mainly, i built a vice to add pressure to my ply board, every few days i have to turn the bolts a few turns to tighten them which flex's the tips of the board but not the center which keeps the middle of the board flat to plane better, but will slightly bend the tips up to help stop it from nose diving
Old 04-18-2006, 01:10 PM

Danny try a surf board. I use a 6'' 1' and the thing rips. See if you can find one cheap in the 5'' 8' to 6'' 2 range you can go smaller if you want. But surf boards kill in light wind chop especially waves. Plus they scream up wind like no other board ive ridden. DO NOT PUT STRAPS ON IT. It makes it harder to gybe and when starting out you put your back foot in front of the traction pad then move it back. Once you are up and riding on it you stay on it pretty well with the surf wax. Many people around here have seen me ride it and there pretty fun. GET A SURF BOARD you wont regret it at all.