FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Southwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-21-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Venice

Hi
Old 01-09-2006, 04:00 PM

Hey, Just saw your message. Hope you have found the Jetty in Venice. We have had some killer sessions there recently. Big NW winds and waves with cold fronts. Last Friday in particular! There's a couple guys that pretty much just kite in Venice. Then there's 5-10 Sarasotans that go there on occasion because its a little better if there isnt enough West. I am in Nokomis, so it is close for me. Hope to see you out there.
Allan
Old 02-20-2006, 06:16 PM

I live in Tampa, but im from Sarasota. Im down there on the weekends, and normally hit up Nokomis Beach.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Glad to see you guys are getting together over there.

A sectional rendering of the present day sinkhole.

I used to dive there and shoot video and cine for Sonny C0ckerell, State Underwater Archaeologist with the Florida Division of Archives in the late '70's.

Sonny C0ckerell with an unnamed friend

Really strange dive, particularly at the bottom circumference of the sink beneath the overhanging sidewalls. Passing by the ledge or relict "beach" shown in the illustration is pretty wierd too. There are long stalagtites around the circumference of the sink with caverns extending backward under the bank.

A video overview of the past of this unusual archaeological site in Florida. It includes extensive diving footage from within the sink. This is an artist's depiction of the spring during early man times with a much lower sea level. It must have been a startling sight, with steam coming out all over in cooler months from this craggy hole in the ground for pre-Columbian folk. A sectional diagram of the sinkhole, talus cone and relict beaches at depth.
CLICK image to be linked to video

A video of fairly recent free diving drop into the spring. The sulfur in the water contributes to the harsh green cast of the water.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-13-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:18 AM

I live in the Dominican Republic but come to the Venice/Englewood area for 2-3 weeks each winter to visit my parents. I have never kited there, but always wondered if anyone does. I have never seen anyone either. Any info you can tell me about ideal wind direction, kite size, launch's, rules/regs, etc. I will be there from Dec. 22-Jan5 2006. It would be cool to meet some locals since I will spend time there every year.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:12 PM

im from venice
Old 12-31-2006, 02:59 PM

Nose candy,

I am in Englewood, the winds seem to be OK, do you have a way i can reach you. I leave to go back to the DR on Friday. You can email me at jeffdungan@hotmail.com
Cheers
Old 12-31-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nose candy
im from venice
I am in Englewwood and looking for someone to kite with. Winds seen Ok lately. Email me at jeffdunga@hotmail.com. I will be leaving Friday Jan 5th to head back tot he DR, would like to get a session or two in if possible.
cheers
Old 01-09-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanw
Hey, Just saw your message. Hope you have found the Jetty in Venice. We have had some killer sessions there recently. Big NW winds and waves with cold fronts. Last Friday in particular! There's a couple guys that pretty much just kite in Venice. Then there's 5-10 Sarasotans that go there on occasion because its a little better if there isnt enough West. I am in Nokomis, so it is close for me. Hope to see you out there.
Allan
Damn, sorry I missed it, back in the DR the trades have arrived and the wind has been good here. i will hopefully see you/meet you next year when i am back in the venice/englewood area.