FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Default Gulf DW report

I did a brief DW starting at 26th ave to around central yesterday. I saw some pretty disturbing riding practices.

Since the weather is still awesome there were a ton of people in the water and some surfers trying to cash in on the swell.

I witnessed 2 people riding right through where the surfers were surfing and way to close to people that were in the water. An orange cab and a medium blue SS RPM.

Another gentleman on a green cab was about 10 feet from shore and crashed his kite feet from the beach. I approached this guy and asked him to stay off the beach(in a nice way) and he actually said that he didn't think he was going to go back out because he wasn't comfortable in the condition. I commend this guys decision.

Just a reminder to everyone people that don't kiteboard are one of our biggest assets. Its their complaints and injuries that are likely to get action against us.

Keep it safe,

Danny
Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 PM

crickets....
Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 AM

Thumbs up

I gave up a long time ago on pointing out kooky behavior (well, sorta)- its far too time consuming, and being that there's no accountability around here anyway, why bother?
Instead, I chose to look for other solutions which would help preserve access, promote personal responsibility when kiting, and help create instructor accountability, all of which will be discussed in the near future, both at local assn. meetings, and in an online, collaborative environment.

Meeting/ season kickoff party later this month.

Happy Chirping
Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM

I wrote you a PM the day of posting, Danny.
I was basically commending you for caring, but advising you not kill your own stoke by wasting energy on it.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Well done Danny, please keep it up and encourage other kiters to do the same. I get sick of doing it myself, bigtime. Still, if I see it, I can't help myself but have to speak to the guys. It isn't fun or pleasant but if we want to keep at our sport it is something we need to do. Just turned in an article to The Kiteboarder on the subject. There are successes as well as ongoing problems.

On a positive front, I visited two launches that I hadn't been to in sometime. I was impressed by how well coordinated riders were in riding among one another, staying out of out of bounds areas and the surfer lineup far more than in the past. So, people are improving, lets help the trend continue. Keep the faith ... and our access!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi