FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 07-20-2009, 04:08 PM

Cable Park Sunday went great. Had a wide mix of riders show up from brand new beginner to seasoned rider and everything in between. There was something for everyone.

I spent most of my day working with beginning board skills on the beginner cable. That is an amazing teaching tool for the sport of kiteboarding and definately plan to use that more in the future for my students. We can work on things like, waterstarts, edging, posture/stance, and ultimately riding switch foot. What a fantastic tool for someone getting into the sport of kiteboarding.

Will be doing it again soon, so keep an eye on the forum for a new date and time.

Only downer was it got pretty crowded after 12 o'clock.

PS. I believe the cable is open 7 days a week right now, so call for latest hours.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 PM

Default Great Place

Steve-O
I had a great time and learned a lot about riding the board. Goofy foot is definitely my weakness. I will be going back again this week. It has to be the best way to hone your skills on a kite board. I've learned from the cable park site that the cable is actually higher than anywhere in the country. Perfect. Please post as soon as you know when your going again. I will move my day off just to be there. As of now my plan is to go Friday. Thanks again for the intro to the park. Has to be the best learning tool for kite boarding other than a trainer kite.
The Blackman
Old 07-20-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Steve-O
I had a great time and learned a lot about riding the board. Goofy foot is definitely my weakness. I will be going back again this week. It has to be the best way to hone your skills on a kite board. I've learned from the cable park site that the cable is actually higher than anywhere in the country. Perfect. Please post as soon as you know when your going again. I will move my day off just to be there. As of now my plan is to go Friday. Thanks again for the intro to the park. Has to be the best learning tool for kite boarding other than a trainer kite.
The Blackman
Glad you had a great time. Your right in that the cable is very high. Being as it is one of the newest out there, cable riders like it high, and definately makes it feel more like you are riding a kite.

I actually think this is equal to a trainer kite. Both have there benefits. You will see the fruits of your labor in the very near future.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:15 AM

That place looks cool. We've got the SkiRixen in South florida, but in the summer time, camps and kids crowd that place. Sometimes waiting 45 minutes just to get on. In the winter, the shallow lake can get in the 50s if there had been a cold front coming thru. You can ride all day with only a couple guys out there. There is only one cable loop tho, no straight cable. It's always fun when injured to post up on turn 1 with my camera, and capture some great bails.

Here's one on a wakeskate
Old 07-25-2009, 06:55 PM

Were hitting the cable again Sunday 7/26 @ 10am if anyone wants to come out.

Randy, Steve S., and myself will be there with some students working on board skills. We hope to get a little time in ourselves on the expert cable.

Plan to be there till around 2pm
Old 07-26-2009, 06:18 PM

Default Rained Out?

Steve-O,
I'm interested in trying out some boards that would fit my next purchase.
I would think that having a demo day at the cable park would also attract
some of the more experienced boarders. What do you think? Maybe next Sunday?
By the way, did you get rained out?
I was planning on showing up but the weather kept me away.

The Blackman
Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 PM

We definately got some rain, but we definately got some solid time on the cable as well. More time on the cable than rain. It got bad around 3pm.

Had four students show up with 3 of them able to get around on the bigger cable. Kudos to them....they are well on there way!!!!

You are welcome to try out some boards there, but I think most want to see how they really work with a kite under actual conditions.

How does the board handle chop?
How well does it go upwind?
Is the size working the wind range I'm looking for?

Those questions really can't get answered on the cable, however, getting the feel for different boards and bindings is nice thing to check out.

Maybe we will go for 3 in a row and hit it again next Sunday.

By the way, wasn't nearly as crowded as last week.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:42 AM

Default Demo?

Steve-0
Let me know if you are planning another trip 8/2/09.
And if you are would you bring some boards that might fit
my quiver. Looking around 138-16.
Thanks,
The Blackman
Old 08-01-2009, 12:37 PM

Default Sunday 8/2

Cable Sunday has been going great. Again going to bring out some beginners and some boards to try.

Meet @ 10am on Aug. 2
Why: Train new riders and get people aquainted with the expert cable.

The beginner cable can only handle so many folks, so let me know if you plan to use that one. 4 is a crowd for sure.

Steve-O
727-542-8022
Old 08-02-2009, 05:06 PM

Cable Sundays have been going great! This has been the third 3 weekend in a row and 8-10 riders have shown up to get a taste or return for more practice.

The beginner cable is an excellent tool for getting that new rider introduced to a board. Waterstarts, balance, weight distrubition, edging, body posture, and ultimately working switch stance are all things that can be tackled in a short time under a controlled environment. We have complete control of how fast the cable will pull on each try. It pulls up out of the water much like a kite. Only downside is if you are close to 200lbs or over, the beginner cable will not pull you out of the water unless you have impeccable technique and a big board. Not a bad thing for the bigger rider as they are going to need to have the same great technique with a kite.

The advanced cable is much more challenging in that it is in constant motion. The controller can slow it down, but more often than not, he doesn't. It takes a few tries, but with some determination and effort its not that bad. You have to have immediate board skills on the pull and instantly have a great stance in order to make it off the dock. Again, takes a little getting used to.

Hope more of you can make it out. I would say there were about a 15 kiters there today. Definately dominated the place.

Super fun to watch Bill P., Matt Sexton, and Alex Fox tear the place up. They inspired us all to keep pushing and try new things.

Hope more of you can make it out and join in on the fun.

McCormicks also has a new site up. Check it........

www.skimccormick.com