FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-05-2007, 10:56 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimog Bob View Post
, or maybe my perception was of after freezing my ass off in that god forsaken hell hole called Boston
Hey hey there Bobby, you're talking about where I grew up...Boston rocks! But you're right, it is TOO cold!!!!!!

Quote:
Whattaya talkin" about?!?

I waz in my shortie, it waz toastie!
Yeah, I was in a thin neoprene shirt and board shorts all afternoon at Backside. Got cold at sunset but the afternoon was nice and warm! You can come up with a better excuse than that Kev, like "my dog ate my homework so I had to do it over and couldn't come out Sunday because it was due first thing Monday morning"!!! LOL!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:02 PM

Thumbs down

scott- i feel your pain. Apparently everything other than equipment failure happened to me yesterday. I was so excited to be up and riding on my offside that I failed to notice the exposed sand bad and rode right into it. boom!!! got drug on my back all the way across it till the kite finally crashed. According to Toby i did leave some cool skid marks.

Kite decided to tea bag me into the air about 10 feet and I freaked and tried to turn the kite and I landed on my shoulder in about 1 foot of water. Then...(yes there is more) kite inverted. not fun. got tea bagged a couple more times and tried to overcorrect when i was diving the kite and landed on my shoulderblades and my head bounced off the bottom. If I wasn't wearing my helmet...guaranteed concussion. It was a hard hit and my head knocked around in the helmit a bit, but took the majority of the impact.

After the kite hindenberged a couple times and decided to taco on me, I finally gave up and walked back in. NOT FUN! I guess I took a lickin and kept on kickin, but it definitely took a toll on my ego and dampered that spirit I had last weekend. Its good at least to hear i wasn't the only one who got worked and at least we're all still around to bitch about it on the forum. Good stuff. hopefully we'll get some more wind this weekend and my luck will change. Still looking forward to playing with the big kids.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:24 PM
invisible

Congrats Amber, that is part of the learning process. Learning how quick things can go wrong and what happens when they do. The surprise sandbar has gotten me so many times! Especially at night..... one time I was racing Scott at lassing ... really hauling butt ... no moon out.... BAM! Surprise, its only 1cm deep. Full speed, fully powered up on my 15M C kite dragged across the sand bar at mach 5 in the dark.

I had enough time to pray that there were no oysters or horse shoe crabs on the sandbar. I guess my prayer was answered and I laughed it off.

Problem is I forgot to include crab traps in that brief oh sh#$ prayer. I found those 15 minutes later when I was dragged through and over them in 1ft of water. Cut me up pretty good.

If Guardian Angels exist they are slackers.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Skyway Scott

Amber,

The question is: where did you LEAVE the skidmarks? and when did Toby see them?

I have run aground at full speed too, many times.
It's hard spinning and not pulling on the bar, but with enough experience wiping out, you learn. It might be best to just let go of the bar and let the kite go limp. Hope you are alright.
Donna got whacked big time once while just learning as well. She was on a C kite and it went from about 12 to solid 20 in a heartbeat, lofting her and then drilling her with a kiteloop. Stuff happens, but it is usually a lot less gruesome on a non-C, especially if you sheet out.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:51 PM

peter lynn kite might help for that stage of the learning curve
Old 03-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Talking Sunday Bloody Sunday

Yeah, Amber showed how tough she was yesterday! Took some pretty hard hits and just kept getting up and trying again. Rough day for her but she sure took it in stride!

Like Tom and Scott said above, we all have those days. After Amber gave up I was riding in those epic flats between Backside and EB when Gary's kite (that I just sold him) blew a LE and he had to walk about a mile back to shore with his kite and board in tow. He said it was a great time when he got to shore and wishes he could do that every session. (I didn't tell him about the bb gun that I was shooting at his LE while riding upwind of him).

So after I helped him get the kite folded up and started off on his leisurely stroll, the flats had gotten considerably more shallow. I tried to make it back and was trucking along good until a gust or two hit me and litt up my kite. I also noticed that the water had gone from 6 inches deep to 2 inches deep all of the sudden. I had about 10 seconds of that slow motion thinking "oh shit, I am screwed", looking ahead of me for oyster beds, conch's, horseshoe crabs, etc. Then all of a sudden SSSSCCCCRRRRAAAAPPPEEE and head over heels I went, tumbling and sliding across the shallows. It didn't help my ego when I came back into shore and tried to hop out of my board real nonchalant like with about 30 spectators looking on and my right bootie stuck in my foot strap. My foot came out of my bootie but the resistance sent me into a face plant into the sand!!! I'd rather get worked under a kite any day (as long as I come out of it okay of course) than be sitting here at work tho!!!

When I got home, (no exaggeration) about a shovel full of sand came plopping out of my compression shorts. At first I thought I crapped myself when I fell but upon further inspection, I confirmed that it was in fact sand. SO I GUESS I HAD SKIDDIES TOO!!!

I think a lot of people got worked yesterday. It happens, just learn from your mistakes and have a good time Ambs and it's all good!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Skyway Scott

LMAO. Best post ever possibly.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:56 AM
invisible

oh yeeeah the sand. Once I came back from a lassing night ride, still in my harness shorts. Wipped them off in the shower to find about half a gallon of sand and vegetation. it was tough explaining to Becky that I had been carrying it around in my underwear all night ops:
Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 AM

aint nothing that smells quite as foul as a that backside skyway mud.... let it sit a couple days in your vehicle and it develops its own atmosphere.

yummy yummy gumdrops.

glad everyone is OK.

bow kites do not help against low tides. i have also had my experiences w/ this.

:P

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa