FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Flaccid Member

Talking

Yes...Yes
I had to show those surfers the difference between Surfing and Kite-surfing. So I showed them from 25 feet up! Anyway, Right after I had set up and was launching at the furthest North part of the beach (marked surfers only), a life guard approached and said we can only launch outside of the marked off swim area. This, he further explained, meant at the South end just outside the park. I, of course, told him that was fine and he was nice enough to ride me down to the south side. Anyway, We have to launch and ride out/in , South of the park and not ride in the swim zone. We are welcome to ride and taunt the surfers just outside the buoys!! It was a great time and is still a great place to ride.
I too rode there many times last year without any problems...maybe it is the fact that it was the weekend?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:59 PM

The wind was good at NB too, but it hadn't had time to kick up much surf yet so it was just short chop. It was 20+ by the time I got rigged. Adam was already on the water on his 15 totally lit. It was a short session for me but it seemed like the gulf had warmed considerably, or maybe my perception was of after freezing my ass off in that god forsaken hell hole called Boston
Old 03-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Skyway Scott

Glad you guys got wind. I thought it was only going to blow up north of us today, so when Wolfie gave the ground confirmation, I was outta' here heading his way.

Sundays ROCK!! (Did Adam stay on his 15 once it filled in?) Tom was litt on his 12 Waroo.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:21 PM
invisible

Yeah it was just unreal... we left dead st. pete and bang 25mph at IR.

My analog meter showed 25 on the beach, and I know for a fact it was a LOT more 100yards out. I am sure it was 25+ out there despite the sensor readings...

We had some circus music playing at the start and it returned when we couldn't figure out which parking lot we left the car in, but we had a good time. Crystal green and blue ocean, clean breaks on the inside and a washing machine outside but fun anyway. Plenty of girlz2see and waves to ride.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Skyway Scott

Yeah, only 8 or so mini kitemares, not bad. I am overdue for something, so may as well get a full year's worth packed into one day.

I guess you have to hook up the front lines and back lines for a kite to fly?
I guess you have to have foot straps for a board to stay on your feet?
(That kid that ran to my truck to exchange boards sure was cool).

I guess when self landing, getting a clusterf#$k of your lines in not good, and you might get worked (especially on a 15m)?
Oh, maybe hook up the leash prior to launch? (not when getting worked post launch in 25)
Maybe remember where you parked your vehicle?
Don't expect people to have screw drivers handy in their bathing suits.
Don't water launch your kite with a swim buoy wrapped around the lines?
Geez.... whatta joke. (Good times)

What else?
Old 03-04-2007, 10:07 PM
invisible

Remember the screwdriver

practice re-adjusting constantly slipping straps in 20+ on 20 feet of beach bordered by a seawall while flying kite with bystanders grabbing at your bar

Question your buddy when he lends you a board with pads which are not glued down.

Since you forgot to bring the screwdriver, learn to ride the remaining mile of the down winder in breaking waves with no straps

Since your pads were not glued down, do that strapless wave riding with no pads!! Talk about slippery!

Look cool when chatting with the super impressed girls who are asking about your kite in the air. DONT tell them you can't remember where the hell you parked and dont ask them to look in the parking lot for your toyota.

Dont freak when her 8yr old daughter yanks your bar and almost loops your kite

Dont panic while flying your kite and trying to catch your buddies kite which is powered up and out of contorl, flying only by leash and tangled bar out of his reach

Don't forget to start the circus music when you self land a 12m waroo in 25mph on one of the back lines.

Dont turn off the circus music, ever.

wahahahaha

Ok it wasn't really that bad... a ton of minor but comical events. Whoot!
Old 03-04-2007, 11:48 PM

Too cold... my wetsuit hasn't been cleaned since the other day and I didn't want to jump into a cold, wet, wetsuit.

Not to mention I was still feeling last night when I woke up at 11am...

That put a damper on my kiting for today.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Can't Re-member

Whattaya talkin" about?!?

I waz in my shortie, it waz toastie!
Old 03-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Skyway Scott

Yeah, that was the most mishaps I have ever seen in one day. Coming ashore (right where the girls were) seemed awfully coincidental. It seemed much more warm than anticipated, Raul.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:30 AM

i missed out this weekend..

bought a huge top of the line HD tv and could not stop watching it.

could.

not.

stop.

ha...

and.. i took a good beating last thursday after an accidental kiteloop.. my body needed a few to rest...

glad folks got some this weekend!!!

yee haw!

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa