FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-16-2008, 09:33 AM
<jason

Erick....
sorry dude.... my bad....I didnt think you needed a haircut but.... my kite had other intentions....again my apoliges

(The first stupid thing I did... the other thing you were talking about)
I was supposed to meet SteveS there... then I saw him riding up behind me
turned my head to say whats up (stupid) looked again and my kite hit the water...ops:

seriously though imo very diferent kite set to ac rather than aa...but was my fault...
Old 03-16-2008, 10:21 AM

i was on a black and "coral" colored naish raven......
(around 12-4pm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by <jason View Post
yea I was trying to stay upwind of all that traffic....so im sure that was me... ive never rode for that long, im pretty sore...better try to rest today if the race is tomorrow huh....

Man I need some practice jumping...landed a few very small whips slammed into the water backwards when I actually tried to send it...

I cant figure out how u guys have so much control when in the air... most of the time I just get spun around and cant tell up from down :shock: I know its experience... but after hitting the water hard a few times, I got nervous to send it hard.... ouch

Was their someone else up wind where I (we) were with a ckite (naish?)
Old 03-16-2008, 12:21 PM

I had a small session starting at PAG and was riding to the undertow when I did a water relaunch and my kite caught a crab trap bouy... No bueno for sure. Had to ditch the kite and swim in.

Watched my poor kite relaunch and crash, and relaunch and crash...

I finally got a chance to catch my breath and my buddy body dragged me to my kite which I was able to free and fly back to shore.

Its a miracle nothing ripped tore or was damaged otherwise.

Rode down to the tow, had some beers but didn't see anyone riding there, just a bunch of people passing by on DWers.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:06 PM
<jason

Quote:
Jason- If you got to ride the 10m, Was the 'Roo bar able to keep that Vicious Dawg under control? I have had lots of people ask if it will work, but do not have a 'Roo bar to try it on.
Was going to but my daughter was really sunburned so we left soon after we talked... I would like to see how short the depower throw is on that freak bar so I can set my stopperball though..

I do have a dakine impact harness you if you want it...let me know...

Quote:
i was on a black and "coral" colored naish raven......
(around 12-4pm)
I was only asking to see if who was riding on that side with me... I guess scott was on the red roo I was on the white and.....you were on the raven....cool..8)
Old 03-16-2008, 02:30 PM

If those were some lessons going down at the Undertow, I would like to know who it is and address the issue head on. That is just not acceptable in my book. If they are certified, I will work to get the certification pulled. That is just total BS.

I think Bobo would agree that is a true circus act. WTF!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Skyway Scott

All I have is a voice message and I don't even know who it is from.
If anyone sees a lesson on the beach in front of the Undertow that seems shady, let us know. It's probably the worst candidate spot to have a lesson.
Literally hundreds of people their to hurt and see you screw up when/if you do.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:32 PM

Sat. Randy and I were at sunset/beach point or whatever that beach is just north of Upham. We were there from about 3 - 6. I saw a blue and white ion(I think) in the air far to the south near the Undertow. I’m going off the shape and colors from a far distance, so it could have been anything. But, thats the first thing that pop in my head when I looked. To far to see if it was a lesson or who it was.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Went to Bongos for a d-winder w/Eric after a good morning session. While passing T.I., saw someone teaching. Looked as though 3 newbies and 1 instructor. Newbies all had kites in the air and at the waters edge. Did not see any boards. Lots, and I mean lots of tourist and spr.breakers crowding around.

However was teaching, waved me off as though I was to close to his inexperienced riders. Didn't think I was close to any of them I was really only trying to get a look and see if indeed they were all students.

Couldn't realy tell, looked unsafe IMAO so we kept on going. Good luck teaching with that many people around.
As mentioned, the lessons I saw were at T.I. and the instuctor had one of the newbies by the back of his harness. At the time we went by, it was honking good. It may have been me you saw on my Bl. 15m Ion but we didn't even stop as there were just to many people on the beach. Its was this reason I thought lessons at that location on that day was probably not a good idea....
I guess the teacher knew what he was doing and when he waved me away from his student, I decided not to stop and we just kept heading downwind.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Skyway Scott

I threw it out there thinking the guy that left the message maybe would read this on here and contact me. I didn't recognize his voice and it was loud in the background.
I haven't heard a peep since the message and this post. The message was from inside of a bar. I assumed the Undertow. I heard a ton of racket in the background.
Let's just assume nothing happened at this point and this was some sort of drunken inspired joke (lame one.. but when you are drunk....).
If anyone sees a lesson in that area though, I wouldn't hesitate to at the very least ask for the instructor's name.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:34 AM

I usually don't call people out on the forum for mistakes on the water but I did happen to meet Jim Wilson from Fort DeSoto (great guy by the way, super cool) Saturday and we were discussing safety and his support for us so here goes:

Whoever the kid on the blue and orange SS Turbo Diesel on Saturday was may want to seriously consider taking some more lessons. After said decapitation close calls and rescuing his inverted kite in between the two, this rider also crashed his kite right in the middle of the launch area on a botched launch attempt later in the day. Had there been bystanders on the beach, that could have meant the end ot EB for us all. If you are the rider in question, I strongly suggest taking those lessons or at least learning a lesson and/or NOT riding on a crowded day like Saturday was until you have better kite control. Maybe using a trainer kite would be a good idea? It is pretty hard to invert these bow kite too, not sure how you managed that one but you will notice that I am always one of the first people to go running to help someone in trouble. I usually keep my cool as everyone makes mistakes but crashing your kite just feet in front of me so I had to bail to avoid you 2 times in one day on a crowded day like that earned you the earfull I gave you on the 3rd of the 4 issues that I saw you have Saturday.

Remember: DOWNWIND rider has the right of way (I was the downwind rider and was on Starboard tack in BOTH instances) and you should NEVER do any jump or trick that could put that downwind rider at risk. Most times the downwind rider cannot see what is happening with the upwind rider and his kite so if you want to ride in the lanes of traffic, you should have good kite control. If you have the control you displayed Saturday and insist on NOT taking lessons, at least do everyone a favor and ride DOWNWIND so noone else gets hurt or killed WHEN you do.

If your life and others are not worth the price of a trainer kite, you are MORE than welcome to borrow mine, my cell # is 941-400-2696. I'll even help you with setup and launch, I ended up breaking a rib on a botched double backroll with an accidental kiteloop thrown in for good measure on my downwinder back to where I launched at the backside on Saturday. Had to ride 3/4 of the way from EB to BS after that and was alone, NOT fun with your harness pulling on it and you can't breathe, believe me. So I am off of the water for a while and would be MORE than willing to help you if you want it. PM or call me.

The ONLY right way to learn to kite is by taking lessons my friend.