FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

View Poll Results: are kite race organizers correct to allow riding inside no wake zone buoy's
yes 8 38.10%
no 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2010, 03:00 PM

I believe those markers along the beach north of John's Pass are "No Vessels" markers.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Some interesting thoughts to add...

1) the poll shows who voted for what, so come race day I don't want to see the people who selected no to be inside the no "wake" zone, except at take off and landing...although at irb I believe the bouys reads "no combustion" motors/engines. how does a no wake zone bouy make sense where there are already waves of some degree most of the time...don't quote me on that though. They may say "no wake" in the intercostal.

2) of all the down winders I have done over the past 3 years I have rarely if ever seen anyone go much past the bouys at all for more than just passing them on a tack... I will admit that the only time I stay outside the bouys is when I see surfers or swimmers. This time of year though it is especially important to stay a few kite lengths away as mentioned earlier. Also even when not in the gulf I see a majority of riders riding close to shore, so i don't think its just a swim zone thing.

3) this may be old news but still interesting since many kiters also do standup. The Coast Guard has classified sups as vessels that have to follow the same rules outside of designated "swim zones" or bathing areas...this means among other things wearing life jackets and carrying proper safety gear... never seen anyone do that either...http://www.hoviesup.com/hovie-sup-bl...s-Vessels.aspx

anyway I thought it was interesting since they actually have different rules depending on where they are operated.
Danny
Old 03-16-2010, 05:02 PM

Let me explain my vote.

I think the matter of riding inside the buoy on a normal day with no one at the beach catching a wave and during a race are 2 different things. I do think the race organizers should keep everyone outside them. So you are telling me in a downwind race, a racer who is riding inside the buoys is going to slow down and take out cause they notice someone swimming? I really do doubt everyone will do this. So you are creating an advantage in the race for those that would coast right upwind of bathers, and creating a disadvantage for those who are for those who will tack back out when they see bathers in the buoys. Also people are going to be pushing themselves, making them more likely to have an unfavorable situation next to shore. A bunch of kiters ripping down the coast will attract attention and spectators. Don't you think everyone should be setting the best example possible? What about the "I didn't know it was a 'swim zone' I thought it was a 'wake zone'. I like many will enjoy the wave break when there is no one on the beach.

But if we look at four major components I think the gray starts to turn black.
1. Distance race creating more chance of human error / gear malfunction.
2. Extra spectators watching the kiters.
3. The competitive spirit and adrenaline clouding judgment.
4. Rider racing down unfamiliar waters not sure what buoys are what.

This is my opinion on the matter and would like to thank those responsible for putting together this event and apologize for those who did not present there thoughts in a respectful manor.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 PM

I did a little research and I also heard about the Coast Guard new regulation that a SUP board is a vessel. Well in the conclusion of the law it states:1 U.S.C.&3 states that "The word 'vessel' includes every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water." Given the answers to the questions above and the definition of the word "Vessel" in the US Code, when utilized beyond the narrow limits of a swimming, surfing, or bathing area, a paddleboard is a vessel subject to regulations administered by the U.S. Coast Guard.
After reading what the Coast Guard defines as a vessel ( A Kiteboard is a vessel) Some will disagree but it is a vessel and it is required to follow all the laws that pertain too a vessel. Also any vessel under 16 feet without a motor does not require CG approved registration numbers. Also each state can have different laws about what is required as far as PFD and registration. Arizona had a law that required PFD's while windsurfing. Not sure if that got changed in the mean time. You can also search some of the other kite Forums and find regulation from local government that put restrictions on how close to swim zones your allowed to kite! Having spent 20 years in the Coast Guard as Flight Mechanic and having a brother that Kiteboards and is still on active duty I called him and he also told me a kite board is considered a vessel. I hope people will use a little common sence while Kiteboarding, Windsurfing and SUP so that everyone is playing safe not only for the riders but for the spectators, swimmers, surfers and if something goes horrably wrong the rescuers because if something happens you know who gets the call. We Coasties will always be ready to help! So this is why I voted No! Keeping it safe is the only way to ensure that no one has to worry about closures and restrictions and the racing can only get bigger & better! Warm winds! Mike T AMT1 USCG RET
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 PM

guys/gals
it sux but the party IZ over.
member when we started back in '02 or earlier?
people couldn't get enough of us.
"what do you call that?"
NOBODY CARED WHERE WE RODE.
well, it's all changed.
GET OVER IT!
sorry if i missed the sensitivity training coarse
peace
Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM

I literally had to do a double-take here...I find it hard to believe that ANYONE would suggest or promote the idea of running a race inside the buoys. This is very disturbing to believe that it's even suggested. But this time I don't think it was a "typo".

IMO this would be like running a car race thru St. Pete and saying...go ahead and take a short cut over some spectators. Many people do training sessions for these DW races, so this would also imply that it's OK to do your practice sessions inside the buoys?

Citing the local maritime rules is one thing...but The reality is that - on an average day, when you might see a few kites on a 10 mile downwinder - people will ride inside the buoys occasionally and with discretion to hit the best sections of waves. In MOST CASES these riders are considerate to swimmers and surfers and give a wide berth. And in MOST cases I would say these downwinders are being done safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
... I'm not sure of the distinction between racers and kiters. If anything, those racing are far more aware of obstacles in the water and have been warned as such. Freeriders are often far more into relaxed riding and probably not as aware of their surroundings. It's probably different for everyone, but I know that this is true for me.
Are you serious???

The problem is that when you have 70 racers who are told that it's absolutely fine to go inside the buoys, going as fast as they can, sometimes at close quarters, fighting for position, it would be counter-intuitive to believe that they would be able to give the same level of attention or consideration as if they were doing a chilled downwind session. Running a race inside the buoys could potentially ruin it for everyone...as in...banning kiting near some of our beaches. Why would anyone even tempt such a fate????

On big days the hardest place for many to ride is somewhere just off the beach and out to the sandbar because of currents, shorebreak, obstacles (people, swim buoys, etc) in the water. What I see - when a rider cannot bust thru the shorebreak he takes the inside line with as much speed as possible, usually within a line length of the beach, so he can break out at the next opportunity...or keep riding the smooth water just off the beach, which is NOT cool.

If people aren't good enough to ride the conditions outside the buoys - then get off the race course. Plain and simple. Make your donation and go out for a session in a location/conditions you can handle. No shame in that.

Please run the races well away from the shoreline at all points along the course.

PS...also, there are sections along the St. Pete/Clearwater shoreline where there are fixed objects, jettys, etc in the water (e.g. the groins North of Johns Pass). Depending on tide sometimes these are not visible until the last second and could be deadly. I get spooked every time I ride past them. Local riders may know about this, but visiting riders probably would not, and even if covered in a skippers meeting, these are serious hazards to be avoided, especially on a big day. This sort of situation probably exists anywhere where you will do a big DW race and best to avoid them by setting a safe and proper course.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas

Last edited by robertovillate; 03-19-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:29 PM

Default beach access in miami.....maybe gone

looks like miami may have lost rickenbacker causeway due to the antics over the weekend and someone being rude to law enforcement....maybe Ricki I is checking to be sure if it is only rumor or fact.......so lets be careful around here!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:05 AM

Default siesta key/sarasota

my buds and i are constantly telling tourist kiters (and even some of our local crew) to stay out of the swim areas, stay well off the beach

what a PITA

os/sarsota
Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 PM

come on people
get you vote recorded

Last edited by bayflite; 03-22-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 PM

I am not completely understanding the following:

-Swimming buoy restrictions.
-No wake restrictions.

Is there any swimming allow in a no wake zone? I thought wakes are created by vessels. And if there are vessels, usually swimming will be prohibited. ???

Thanks for the clarification...