FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-22-2005, 06:24 AM

What did you find was wrong with the Sonic bar? You're probably the first person I know of who prefers the X-bow bar over the Sonic bar. All of my friends who own X-bows really like the Sonic bar more, just for the simplicity. They have asked me if they can order just a bar to use with the x-bows they already own. I have to explain that this bar won't work the same way with their kite.

Where did you try a Sonic? Just curious.

GK
Old 10-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
What did you find was wrong with the Sonic bar? You're probably the first person I know of who prefers the X-bow bar over the Sonic bar. All of my friends who own X-bows really like the Sonic bar more, just for the simplicity. They have asked me if they can order just a bar to use with the x-bows they already own. I have to explain that this bar won't work the same way with their kite.

Where did you try a Sonic? Just curious.

GK
Good questions GK. Would you have a closeup image of the Sonic bar that you could upload? I haven't seen one before and would like to see how it is setup.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-22-2005, 06:53 PM

Here you go Rick...

Here's a shot showing how the sheet cleat works.
The cleat is on the bottom of the bar, very nice.

Here you can see how simple the bar is.

Unhooked, no problem.

Hooked in, one handed. Super light bar pressure.

This shows the stopper ball. It uses a small piece of PU tubing
that fits inside the spectra CL line. The stopper jams down
on the tubing in order to stop the bar. To blow the bar
you just push it away. The ball pops off and the PU tube is thin
enough to pass through the bar. You can adjust the tubing
wherever you want it.

The Sonic completely depowered in 20+ kts. If you drop the bar
the kite will fall to the edge of the window and sit on its wingtip
until you recover the bar.

Hopefully I'll have mine next week! Can't wait.

GK
Old 10-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for the great shots GK! That is one simple bar design. There is a jam cleat on the underside of the bar? The front line pressue is sufficiently light at all times that you don't need the normal pulley reduction to be able to pull it?

The minute power control in these bows is impressive. I liken it, in only two VERY light wind sessions so far, to snowboarding in deep powder vs. skiing. With a snowboard it is EASY to have minute control with minimal exertion. Skiing, for me anyway, it takes more technique and exertion to control speed in deep powder.

Neat stuff!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-23-2005, 11:57 PM

i tryed out the sonic in melbourne Australia @ stkilda beach the guys had pulled out the stopper and rigged up a elastic line to hold the bar in a nutral possi it did not look right. It is posibal the guys trying to sell the kites are not up to speed with how the hole depower thing as for bar presure i love it as i am a huge water ski one again to date the x bow is the best kite i have
Old 10-24-2005, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
It is posibal the guys trying to sell the kites are not up to speed with how the hole depower thing
I think you're right Sean. I saw on the Stonker website that Alex had invented his own bar modification instead of using the stopper as it was designed. This could be very dangerous! I think that when they received their first kites the stopper was not a part of it. I hope they have changed this now!
I'm glad you like your x-bow, my friend is very happy with his, its an awesome kite.
Take care,
Greg
Old 11-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Greg,

It was great to see you last weekend and to tryout the 11 m Sonic. The bar pressure certainly is light. I didn't experience the stalling you warned might happen but it seems that most of the new flat kites have some quirks. I was intrigued by the different riding dynamics with the kite from normal C kites. Sheeting in and out during turns is an interesting thing to play with and really can bump the power up. Having all that wind to play with made things even better. I have some photos to process and assemble into an article, coming soon. It was a good session, thanks!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-23-2005, 04:45 PM

Wow that looks like an amazing kite. Wish I could get my hands on one. Anybody selling a used one????
Old 11-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroller
Wow that looks like an amazing kite. Wish I could get my hands on one. Anybody selling a used one????
In time I suspect there will be some used ones out there Felipe. For now it is hard to come by new ones. I understand GK should have some new kites available for purchase in a few weeks. It is great to see the industry working hard on new innovations to help us to grab more fun time on the water.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi