FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 07-06-2006, 06:40 AM

Agreed. He has the experience necessary and the means to do so. I also think that Ikite will pay for the sensor which probably aren't cheap!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:23 AM

I'm not volunteering to ask my neighbors if we can place a windmeter on top of their house for commercial purposes.

Ikite isn't going to make any money off of this, sorry.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:17 AM
tomstock

iKite has dropped the ball too many times.

Kev there are a bunch of sensors out there. It doesn't necessarily need to be ethernet either... serial will work too. We can always use a microcontroller with ethernet to read the sensor and send the data. There are also some Serial-Ethernet adapters out there we could use.

I'll email guru and see if he has time to look around for a sensor... I dont unfortunately.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:51 AM

Instruments: Contact Mike Young at RM Young in Traverse City, MI. He's a friend and a kitesurfer too...maybe he can give you a good deal and probably offer some advice on setup.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/projects/mar...nts/Young.html

http://www.nohowinc.com/Rmyoung.htm

Location: Have any of the local hotels, restaurants been contacted? Don Cesar, Undertow, many others obviously? Isn't there a guy (kitesufer/windsurfer) who runs the beach chair concessions down their that might be well-connected for getting something like this done?
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 07-06-2006, 11:09 AM

Yeah, his name is Mark, he's at the building just North of the Undertow. I think he and his bro may even own that place and it's at least 3 or 4 stories tall. I'm not sure of his last name. I think Randy knows him pretty well. We could definitely use a sensor along the beaches, that's the only place we're really lacking one.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:50 PM

This is the perfect spot around the beaches...

Right in the middle... There's already one up in clearwater... and one down south at the skyway.

I'm not in too much a hurry now that nobody seems interested. A wind meter wouldn't be much to fix... I have some basic electronics knowledge (and by basic, I mean very basic) I'm sure Danny would know how to fix it even(not volunteering you here Danny).

Shit, the things cost about 200-500 dollars depending on what you want (from what I've seen at least) it wouldn't even be worth hiring somebody to come out and fix it for what the price is to replace.

It's a freakin weather meter though, it's been designed to be outside in all types of weather, I'm sure it'd be fine for a few years.

I've got very limited amounts of money at the moment... so if nobody else wants to jump on board for a good weather meter for all of us, then this would be a lost cause really.

I really thought this thread would get SLAMMED with posts... but I guess it all was scott lol.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:03 PM
tomstock

Serves him right for moving away! hehehe
Old 07-06-2006, 09:58 PM

Good luck, I've seen this thread too many times to get excited about it until it actually happens. I don't mean to sound negative here but I'll believe it when I see it. Actions speak louder than words and we have all talked a lot about it and each time we get close to making progress, there is always some sort of occurance which negates any effort(s) set forth in getting a wind meter set up. If it does happen, count me in to chip in once I'm employed again but for now I'm just gonna shut up on this thread and see if it finally actually happens...hope it works out!!!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:45 AM

John's Pass bridge has a wind sensor, is there anyway to upload the info to the web?
You can call 727-368-0795 to reach the bridge tender and he will give you the current wind speed/direction. Appears to be accurate with SW-W-NW wind.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:34 AM

i'll put in $40
westmarine has em 4like $250
tom...you rock breh
l8r