FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 12-19-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Anclote Key

Had a free day today and decided to try a little fishing and search for some gear that was lost this weekend on anclote key. No sucess on either account, but i did however have a great conversation with the resident park ranger for anclote island. I asked if he had spotted any gear on the beach, which sparked a conversation about kiteboarding. Turns out he's all about us riding there, loves to watch, wants to take pics, etc. and i also gave him this website where he agreed to post any gear he finds. He gave his card and said to call if we ever have any trouble out there. It's a killer spot to ride and it's great to have him on our side, so lets keep it that way!!! Everyone always does a great job out there cleaning up their trash, etc and im sure if we continue to do it right we'll always be welcome back!!
Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Skyway Scott

Very cool. I know Jim Wilson (Ft. DeSoto Park Superintendent) frequents this forum as well. He is always interested in "what's up".

I asked on here about Sand Key, and the next time I saw him, he brought it up, because he did see it on here.

Glad you guys are doing such a great job up North.
I only rode there once, it's a great spot. It's an awfully long drive from here otherwise I would love to go more. The one time I was there, I found the windsurfers exceptionally friendly. That came as no surprise, I actually think non-friendly windsurfers are imaginary creatures.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:25 AM

Default This Monday

I'll be in Port Richey for a few days, and last I checked, there'll be some good NNW winds on Monday. Is this the right spot to go?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:21 AM

if you'll be in port richey the closest place is probly sunset park, unless you've got access to a boat. Anclote is unfortunately only accessible by boat, which is a bummer but also i think helps preserve the spot. Sunset park is great for NW, NNW, doable on N but no good for any east. Launch spot is tight but riding area is huge
Old 12-20-2007, 11:36 AM

There will be some West NW winds tomorrow.

tampa bay waters-englewood to tarpon springs out 20 nm-
englewood to tarpon springs out 20 to 60 nm-
1231 pm est thu dec 20 2007

...small craft exercise caution in effect from late tonight
through friday morning...

.tonight...southwest winds 15 to 20 knots. seas 2 to 4 feet. bay
and inland waters choppy. chance of showers.
.friday...northwest winds 15 to 20 knots. seas 3 to 5 feet. bay
and inland waters choppy. slight chance of showers in the
morning.
.friday night...northeast winds around 15 knots. seas 2 to 4 feet. bay
and inland waters a moderate chop.
.saturday...northeast winds around 15 knots. seas 2 to 4 feet. bay and
inland waters a moderate chop.

Definately hit up Sunset Park. Do not go to Howard Park. You can ride around it but can't launch or land from it. The park is closed to kitesurfing.
The lower the tide, the smoother the water. It is shallow forever. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad085 View Post
if you'll be in port richey the closest place is probly sunset park, unless you've got access to a boat. Anclote is unfortunately only accessible by boat, which is a bummer but also i think helps preserve the spot. Sunset park is great for NW, NNW, doable on N but no good for any east. Launch spot is tight but riding area is huge
I looked on Google maps and found a 'Sunset Beach Park' just south of Howard Park. Is that the one you're talking about?

iKitesurf is flaking out.. Does anyone know if they're still forecasting wind for Monday?
Old 12-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Skyway Scott

Some forecasts are saying East 15 for Monday.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:49 PM

Sunset Beach is just south of Howard Park, but keep in mind, does not work on any kind of East. Skyway North will be the call for an easterly wind, especially in the am. Earlier the better.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for looking!

Chad...thanks a lot for looking for that board I lost...much appreciated. BTW, excellent PR move with the Ranger in Anclote...always great news to be welcome in a great spot such as Anclote. Well, at least I have become a pro at getting all the hard lessons in kitesurfing out of the way in my first months into the sport!

See you soon!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:18 PM

no sweat man. It was a beautiful day with zero wind, so i really had to pry myself out of bed and into the flats boat The ranger's a pretty cool dude and that's gotta be one of the sickest places to ride in this area!!!