FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-07-2008, 06:47 AM

Default Surfer Hassles was The good, the bad, and the ugly

The good is I got my 2006 17.5 machine complete w/ bar and lines for $325 shipped to my door.
I recieved my dakine harness and protec helmet for $145
I bought a RRD twister 150cm x 40 for $100 shipped and its in great condition
Super stoked to get the whole package kiteboarding for $570 ( now a just need one more kite)

The bad is Ive only been kiteboarding for like 2 months and Im constantly hearing stories of bad experiences people have had w/ kiteboarders in my local area.

The ugly is that I havent been surfing or kiteboarding for two weeks because my knee is all fubar right now....I think im going insane!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Congratulations on your new gear, hope your knee gets sorted out quickly. Where are you located and what sort of complaints have you heard about kiteboarders?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 AM

Default yep

jacksonville beach florida
Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 AM

Default yep

Ive heard complaints anywhere from message boards to me going out to the bars at night. The issues are always pertaining to the kiteboarders almost hitting surfers. I understand how in windy conditions the surfer may be hard to see at times but it still pisses me off that just a few bad apples could be causing so many problems.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftfast180 View Post
Ive heard complaints anywhere from message boards to me going out to the bars at night. The issues are always pertaining to the kiteboarders almost hitting surfers. I understand how in windy conditions the surfer may be hard to see at times but it still pisses me off that just a few bad apples could be causing so many problems.
Sorry to hear that. Some kiters may not accept the obvious hazards to others and even themselves in riding too close. We really don't want to be responsible for scaring the hell or injuring anyone particularly in a stupid, avoidable fashion. Problems have happened already establishing the realities in this situation. Surfers are FAR more numerous than kiters, have more political influence and should have no reason to feel threatened by us, if we're using our heads.

Some general guidelines to try to avoid problems:

- If there are reasonable kiting areas outside of the concentration of surfers, go there and avoid riding through the lineup. If you can ride well away to the downwind side of the surfers, even better.

- If you MUST pass a surfer, do so on the downwind side if possible. IF not, then pass as far to windward as you can EVEN if this means tacking a few times. Passing too close and upwind of surfers is a real bad idea and likely to cause problems someday.

- If you are going to cross the path of a surfer and it looks like he is going to catch a wave or is on one already, don't cut him off. Turn around or give him broad leeway.

- If you are going to launch a jump, make sure there is no one, kiters, surfers or swimmers in the downwind landing area. Surfers can be hard to spot particularly in failing light, still no excuse for not seeing one. With the newer kites it is amazing how far you can drift downwind too in stronger wind, so have a care. If you downloop by accident which can happen, even to the best riders among us, the necessary buffer zone just grew a lot larger.

- If you are doing a downwinder, stay away from surfers (and out of bounds swim zones for that matter). There should be plenty of large enough holes to catch some waves without threatening or pissing anyone else off.

Common sense and courtesy will go a long way in avoiding complaints and problems.

Other ideas on this?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 05-07-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:39 PM

Default yea

personally I have no other ideas to contribute, safety guidelines and common sense can prevent alot of the issues. Even in my area everyone I have met seems to be very respectful. Its just a shame that these stories still come about . Personally Im aware of these issues because of this website and the instructors I worked with. i feel that self teaching may be one of the root causes for this problem but at the same note just use common sense.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I added a little something to the subject line of your post. I think this is an important topic, people may ignore impacts on other water users and our access as a consequence.

It would be good to receive other input on this, as I think awareness could be stronger out there.

btw, this deals with ways to avoid hassling surfers not the other way around. We are so much more mobile, why not use that to find and use clearer riding areas whenever possible?

What do kiters do to try to avoid problems in the surf?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-09-2008, 08:19 AM

After an incident here on the West coast, we narrowly escaped a ban on kiting in our area due to kiting near surfers. We are somewhat lucky here in that, the surf sucks and most of the surfers congregate in 3 or 4 areas. We are trying to avoid rigging and riding in these spots, and being as friendly as possible when passing through. The Skimmers seem pretty stoked on kiting over here ,and a local kiter assembled a contest for them last year.(They are still talking about it!)
Using hand signals:
When doing downwinders, the lead kiter can spot the surfer or swimmer in the water and point where they are, then point offshore. This gives other kiters a visual as to where to avoid, and where they should be (offshore).
Another positive move is to get to know the surfers, attend their functions,support their shops and cleanups, and show your respect for what they love. Consider coordinating beach cleanups with surf shops to build relations- its a simple thing to do, and benefits everyone.
Several local kiters have joined Surfrider Foundation and become active participants in their meetings. Our local shop (Watersports West) is leading the charge to protect access at Dunedin Causeway, and made a detailed presentation at a local Surfrider meeting to help build support.
Local instructors have also offered free intro to kiting clinics to surfers to build interest in our sport.
Please give way to all water users!
Stay out of the swim zones and look before you leap!
TBKA
Old 05-09-2008, 08:36 AM

Sounds like you guys are off to a good start. Last year, we had a few incidents with the surfers off the water. They destroyed the interior of my 4Runner by squeezing transmission fluid through the small cracks I had left in my windows for ventilation. They waxed a windshield and broke a window of another kiter's car. We figured out who it was, but the law couldn't prove it. In any case, since then, we have talked to any visiting kiters and all local kiters at our spot about the rules of the water regarding the surfers. We do get decent surf, and with the beach restoration, it has changed the amount of beach, where the surf breaks best, and therefore where the surfers have the tendency to congregate. At times, they are all spread out, especially when they see us catching waves away from the big group. In any case, we never go through the line up, unless we are coming in and can't avoid them. Never jump upwind of them, and jibe well before getting too close. Many of the guys out there are really nice and are happy to share the stoke, yet a few others remain agro.
However, yesterday, a kiter who comes in town from Ft. Rucker, Alabama, decided he would be a total jackass. His name is Mark, was riding a 16M yellow Bularoo, and is originally from Peurto Rico. He has been kiting "for years, since the beginning days...." One of the guys surfing, was his buddy, however, the entire time he was riding, he was flying through the line up, spraying surfers, and snaking waves. The surfers were in a small area yesterday, and the waves were just as good a little further down wind. When it came to riding around the other kiters, he made it as though he had the right of way despite which tack he was on, rode right up your ass, cut you off, and simply did not give a damn. It's not as if he does not know any of us local kiters, as he recently dropped off his kite at the shop for repair, was looking for other gear, blah blah... but he never came up to our group yesterday. Instead, acted like a jackass and left. Of course, we are the ones who live and kite here all the time, and we are the ones who will have to deal any negative issues that are a result. Always the one bad apple!!!
Sorry, I kinda hijacked the thread with my complaints, but it's kiters like this who ruin it for the rest.