FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 11-25-2007, 09:00 PM

Default What kite would you choose?

Let me start, first, by saying that I ride a quiver of '06 kites. (9) and (16) waroos as well as an (11) sonic. These are my first set of kites and have served me well thus far. Being my first kites, they've taken some abuse. I'd like to buy a new quiver once I graduate (december ) but, with all the recent introductions of new kites I'm honestly not sure what to get. Obviously, I will demo before I buy but would like to hear what some of the local riders think. I know we can all get some great unbiased reviews from this forum and I've seen quite a few kite brands lurking these waters lately. I've been reading a little bit on kiteforum but we all know how that place is when discussing manufacturers. If you guys were going to buy a new quiver, what kite(s) would you choose? Any year...2007...2008...
Old 11-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Skyway Scott

I think a lot of the 08 kites are very good. Many of them are very well priced, and imo, there is no need to buy the expensive brands when they aren't that much (if any) better. Just more expensive.
We have Steve who has the freak dogs, Bayflite has Ocean Rodeo, Toby with Eclipse and a couple other brands (like Best and Royal) that have good prices for good kites too. I noticed WSW carries Ozone now. The Instinct and Instinct Sport have insane wind range and are good kites.
The 11m kite is like having a 13m and 9m Waroo all in one. It's a hard sell though, due to the bar and line setup looking all weird.

I would try to demo first if possible. It will probably just come down to preference in what you like.
We haven't had much wind lately, so demos have been sparse.
I am really happy with the new Waroos and got a 9m.
Besides that, my 15m Hyper is currently being fixed by Keith at Advanced Sails. I am going to try to make that kite last one more season.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Tom Stock

Well, I was in the same situation... my 06 waroos have been good to me BUT they are slow, fluttery, and prone to invert if pushed past the limit. However, they jump well, behave well (ie: don't hindenburg) and are predictable.

I was going to ditch my waroos and move to Era's or the OR Rise, but then I tried the 08 waroo. It's totally NOT the same kite. It's more of a hybrid, doesn't flutter at all, turns ultra fast (or slow depending on how you set the rear bridle) and it jumps to the moon. I rode it once and bought a 9m 08 waroo (even after I swore no more waroos). It also has a different bridle configuration with two pulleys on each bridle and none on the back lines, and the bridles are completely different (more lines, attached in different places). Battens are reduced to one at the trailing edge. It will also complete a kite loop without stalling at 9:00 or 3:00. I talked to Daryl at extreme when I ordered my kite and he's been riding the 9m from 17 and up (and nothing else)... so it's almost a one kite quiver (but not quite).

So before you buy anything, ride a bunch of kites. So far I've liked the Ocean Rodeo Rise, the Royal Era (in size 14+), and the 08 waroo. I've heard the SS rev and the new Eclipse thruster is pretty good also. All of these kites are a huge improvement over the 06 waroo. Also, if Scott bought a waroo you know it's good... he's ridden just about everything (having worked at extreme kites) and was never a big fan of Best kites. So the kite won him over this time. He describes it as a hypertype without the over flying tendancy.

Also, if you get a waroo and don't like it you can return it for a refund within 30 days no questions asked... so you can't really lose.

BTW I'm not brand loyal... I was ready to ditch the waroo until I tried the new one.

Bayflite sells Best kites at good prices, send him a PM if u r interested. Extreme kites is also a good choice, they have a ton of them and you will get them next day no matter what.

Last edited by Tom Stock; 11-25-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:41 AM

Good advice guys. I've demo'd the Rise (liked it), REV, and switch3 (although i was too overpowered to really get a feel for it). I'll buy any brand of kite, as long as it performs great and has a good price point. Sounds like it's the '08 waroo that has won ya'll over so far....or at least the 9m anyways.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:42 AM

all kites rock.
the thing i'd be willing to pay good money for is clean wind for several days in a row.
best has the 30 day guarantee(even if your dog eats it).
ocean rodeo has a lifetime warranty for repairs.
slingys and cabbys are too expensive and way too many models.
billy always has plenty of flexifoils to demo.
sean...congrats on gettin through college without a trust fund.
it says alot about you.
major props bro.
l8
Old 11-26-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayflite View Post
sean...congrats on gettin through college without a trust fund.
l8
Thanks bro, I appreciate that. Sometimes I wish I had a trust fund. My bank account would look much better! lol
Old 11-26-2007, 11:02 PM

Ditto, all kites rock and we just need some good wind!!! I always have Thrusters up for demo as Scott and Tom previously stated. Just ask and you can take them out for as long as you like.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:53 PM

Thanks Toby, I may have to give you a shout in the near future.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Hey Toby,

I would like to demo a 08 Thruster. Any chance to fly one soon?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:37 PM

I am calling Dimitri now to see if I can get a demo day set up. More to come shortly...

EDIT: I just spoke to Chris Cousins at Eclipse. He is going to try and get a demo day set up, has a whole bunch of kites coming in and will either be sending someone down for a Florida tour in the near future or will send me some demo kites for a few days. I'll keep you guys updated as to when and where!!!