FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > West Coast Events
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default TAMPA BAY BOARDERCROSS RACE!!! --> PART II

Heading back to Mullet Key for Part II of the Boardercross coverage ...

I am curious to hear this guys story (Ray Leroy, Damien's brother?). That is some height to go up to without a board. Coming down without a board can be a painful experience from even a lower height at times.

A closer shot of Ray ripping it up in the heavy wind. Ray did a great favor for me at Jupiter securing a loose board strap, thanks!

Edging

There were a few guys in helmets at this event. Makes sense particularly in consideration of the conditions. Well done to those riders including Josh shown here setting up.

Steve gives this unknown rider an assist

Andrea with Viking and PJ with Kite Billboard

Damien getting ready to head out and throw some more big moves

Antonio of Kite Billboard gets ready to head out with some assistance from Josh. Kite Billboard presents some interesting concepts of benefit to riders (gear) and advertisers (highly visible ads).

And so on to The Final Heat ...

Time for the big guns to go through their moves

Kent with Cabrinha gets ready to launch with an assist from Raul

Alex stretches to grab his Waterboard

Shawn gets ready with an assist from Ray

Charging out

Racing upwind

Packing in tight around the turn.

Alex takes the lead closely followed by Shaun with Kent riding in. The three guys finished in that order.

Alex throws a victory jump

The rider board for the race

Alex, team rider for Waterboards.net shows off his gear

Shaun showing off his custom board with some unusual bottom features fabricated by Nick. I am not sure if Shaun is sponsored or not. He was riding a Best 7 m Yarga and really hauled upwind at points in the race.

Kent with Cabrinha rode a hard race in front but slipped to third in rounding the final turn.

The event's a wrap, might as well grab some water time and enjoy the more mellow 25 to 30 mph sideshore winds and long swells. Sunset moves on ...

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE IMAGE
Bill gets thrown for a kite loop

The moon is up

Another board off manuver or perhaps Bay riders are refining barefoot kiting?!

Shooting kiteboarders can be chilly business

George with Kiteflix.COM came by later on in the day to shoot some of the action. George has worked on many outstanding video projects covering most Florida events and has launched a recent creative feature DVD, "Aerial Assault" staring Dimitri going off all over the place. And, look to see George riding in the future. His leg injury is on the mend and George is now on the water!

It's getting late, time to head back to the barn

Jayson put on a wrap party for the competitors of the boardercross the next day. Scenes from which appear below.

The winners with the Waterboards custom board bag signed by the competitors. Waterboards put up a kiteboard for the winner.

Going from left to right, Jayson, Kent, Alex, Shaun and Neil, showing the colors.

Mercedes and Melissa with JN Kites walk on to the launch area for the Tampa Bay Downwinder Race on Sunday, but that's another story.
(to be continued ...)

That's all for now,

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-13-2006, 10:10 PM

Rick,

The photo captioned Well done to those riders including this unknown kiter. is Josh Taylor, a local ripper and one of my younger kite school grads.

Awesome photos of the event and we look forward to seeing you and the camera when the Bay race kicks off.

E
Old 02-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Rick,

The photo captioned Well done to those riders including this unknown kiter. is Josh Taylor, a local ripper and one of my younger kite school grads.

Awesome photos of the event and we look forward to seeing you and the camera when the Bay race kicks off.

E
Hello Eagle,

Thanks for the info and for working to put on such a great event. I hope to make the Tampa Bay Downwinder. Had my fingers crossed for this weekend but it looks like the wind gods are vacationing somewhere else.

You should put some more info about your school at:
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=778

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-01-2006, 02:43 PM

Rick, my name is Shaun Keating. I won second in Tampa. thanks for the great shots. You have a picture of me with my board and it say Nick. Nick is my friend that made the board. Your unknown rider is my friend Ray Leroy. You have some shots of him from Jupiter also. Look for his red rashguard. Shoot me a email anytime. wndjunky@aol.com