FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-11-2016, 07:34 AM

Default Surfboard for La Ventana, Mexico?

I will be in Cabo San Lucas (Mexico, Baja California) area for a week in the end of March... mostly for diving/spearfishing.

La Ventana and Los Barriles (world class kiting spots) are just a couple of hour away - so, of course, I am thinking of taking kiting gear, too.

Questions...
1. Do I need to bother with bringing a surfboard? Love to kitesurf waves but are there any kite-able ones on the Sea of Cortez?

2. Will I need a big kite there (my "big" one is Ozone Edge 13m).
Will a 9m only be enough?
Old 01-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I have yet to make it down there but I spoke with Tom with Capt. Kirks Resort in La Ventana, http://www.captainkirks.com/resort/resort.html

This is what he had to say. For March, he would expect about 15 kts. for several hours each day. Winds may boost to 35 kts.+ at times however. He said as the wind is often side to slightly side off the wind can be punchy on the bay side with a gust range. He said Kirk, who weighs about 185 lbs. and lives there spends most of his time on an 8 m kite. He suggested bringing your 13 m in the hope that you won't need it. Your 9 m may cover things if you are careful depending on your weight. Or, you may want to bring something smaller as well. I would try to research that further locally for March. I asked about the surfboard, he said the bay side is fairly calm with 3 to 4 foot waves about once or so a week. He also said you might rent a surfboard if you were so inclined. He did say you might consider driving to the Pacific Ocean side to Todo Santos about an 1 1/2 hour away if you wanted to some large waves. I don't know that many people kite there however but it is a surfing spot.

Have a good trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russky View Post
I will be in Cabo San Lucas (Mexico, Baja California) area for a week in the end of March... mostly for diving/spearfishing.

La Ventana and Los Barriles (world class kiting spots) are just a couple of hour away - so, of course, I am thinking of taking kiting gear, too.

Questions...
1. Do I need to bother with bringing a surfboard? Love to kitesurf waves but are there any kite-able ones on the Sea of Cortez?

2. Will I need a big kite there (my "big" one is Ozone Edge 13m).
Will a 9m only be enough?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-17-2016, 07:53 AM

Great info, appreciate your call to the locals, Rick...

Yes, I have been thinking about the Pacifc side of Baja - even considered Todo Santos as a place to stop by for a couple of days.
Big ass pacific waves there, surfers classic paradise... It gets the opposite of Venture effect La Ventana gets, so during the day winds change from light onshore breeze to strong straight offshore ones. Pretty much no kiting zone at all to my taste.

I probably skip on bringing the surfboard, taking the twintip with a small kite.
If it's light then it's time for wahoo spearfishing ...