FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Skyway Scott

Default Looks like fraud to me.

So, he has NO clue what kite I have. His associate is going to pay me, blah.. blah... blahh... and he sends it on Xmas. That's a real winner
The odds this guy is actually a kiter.... 0%. This stuff really pisses me off. I was sincere with him, you think he will get back to me?
Who else has had this exact message?

(My reply)....I will tell you what, don't waste my time. Do all kites on Ikite get this response? Nice.

----- Original Message -----
To: <sfears2@tampabay.rr.com>
Sent: Monday, December 25, 2006 6:17 AM
Subject: Reply To Your Ad at the Classifieds : 35390..Ur Kite Advert

> You have received the following reply to an ad that you posted in the
Kiteboarding section of the Classifieds:
>
> Mack (Speak_Paker@yahoo.co.uk) writes:
> Goodday,~nl~I mail to know if your: " KITE " still available for sale.I
reside in United Kingdom.May i know more of its condition,pics and your Last
asking price.~nl~~nl~Be sincere with me i shall enclose and sent you a
Certified check or Money Order by my associate.My shipping firm will come
ahead on my behalf for the inspection/pick up after payment has been
deposited .Do let me now if still available, get back to me with the
following:~nl~Your Name.....................~nl~Full contact
Address....~nl~zip code......~nl~Telephone...............~nl~Once again get
back to me immediately you do recieve the payment .~nl~Merry Xmas & Happy
New Year In Advance.~nl~You can also reach me
at.....Speak_Paker@yahoo.co.uk~nl~Tel:+44 7031957187 ~nl~Best
Wishes
.~nl~~nl~~nl~~nl~~nl~~nl~~nl~~nl~~nl~~nl~

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 12-25-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:17 AM
E-Bone

Yeah, I met the same guy or someone with the same idea the last time I tried to sell a kite on ikitesurf. Eager to meet my asking price, same crap about a certified check and an agent who will come to pick up the kite. Asked Mr Big Shot about Paypal, however, and of course he doesn't have a Paypal account.

I think the scam ends up being a bogus certified check that takes a few weeks to bounce, so by the time your bank tells you the check is no good, the "agent " has already picked up the kite and you are left to try to track down someone using only a Yahoo address.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:18 AM

Angry

Yeah Scott, that is a scam where they say that their "associate" who owes them money will pay you with a fake money order and you won't know any better until the kite is long gone...

I had 2 such messages on my kites today. I had some choice words for them and tried scare tactics by copying "FBI@FBI.com"...(obviously not a valid e-mail address but they don't know that) I know it won't stop them but I bet it at least opens their eyes to the severity of what they are doing some...
Old 12-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Skyway Scott

That's what I thought. My reply was actually quite offensive and aggressive, but I didn't want to post it on here. Pathetic these guys were send that type of stuff on Xmas. Oh well, didn't put a damper on my Xmas, I got a Bounce board for the trampoline and some other stuff too.

Now we just need some wind today
Old 12-26-2006, 03:53 PM
tomstock

I get those all the time. I received the money order from one guy and then kept running him around for 2 FULL MONTHS telling him I'd sent the money already, etc. He'd get upset and ask where I sent the refund to and then I'd give him the name and info for a DIFFERENT scammer.

It was hilarious watching the two of them battle it out.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bone
I think the scam ends up being a bogus certified check that takes a few weeks to bounce, so by the time your bank tells you the check is no good, the "agent " has already picked up the kite and you are left to try to track down someone using only a Yahoo address.
more like there accountant or whatever supposivly accidently sends you $5,000 instead of $500, so asks you to take 500 out of that check and send back 4,500, along with the kite.. then the check bounces and your out 5,000 and a kite.

I had someone try that on me before.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:55 PM
tomstock

Josh is right, they usually do not even pick up the equipment. They just get you to send the "difference' for the accidental money order for $4500 instead of $450.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:34 PM

Sounds like the same guy that contacted me about buying one of my kites for $150. He used the name Peter Reiss. He said he would send a cashiers check and to cash it at one of the check cashing places and not to deposit it in my account. That tipped me off that he was up to something. He kept e-mailing me about whether I received the check. I also received another e-mail from his "shipping agent". I got fed up with his games and told him the deal was off. About 3 weeks later I received a counterfeit cashiers check for $1,900 from the First Credit Union in Tempe, Arizona. There was nothing to trace the envelope or check to him. I never heard from him again. He was probably waiting for me to tell him that he overpaid me and then he would tell me to send the difference to him. Typical Nigerian scam.

Last edited by Jake; 12-27-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:09 PM
tomstock

Next time play along and tell him you already sent the money to a western union near him. He will drive there and get skunked. Repeat until satisfied you have wasted his time beyond frustration.

If you REALLY want to have fun, give him the number of a payphone and have him call you. I had this guy calling me over and over on his dime. It was great!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Skyway Scott

Sounds like a plan. I don't like wasting time, but if its mainly his to only a minute of mine, I will do it to get back at these losers.