FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-21-2008, 08:02 PM

Guess "reaming" didn't express what I meant properly, and it actually wasn't just to Steve-Os response. Just seemed like multiple people responded negatively to his post, and I felt his pain, because my biggest fear other than making a mistake that hurts someone is everybody thinking I'm a kook cuz I'm still learning. Guess I'll add a "smilie" after I use certain words like Scott said.

Honestly, I really appreciate this forum and all of your responses, because although I rarely post, searching through the threads has taught me more about safety and kiting than I could have learned in 2 years of just heading out to the beach.

Richard
Old 01-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Skyway Scott

Cool. I really wish more guys would hop on.
Although I think we have doubled our numbers (this area's forum participation) in just the last month, so that's pretty good.

We need a couple more SorrySotans (hint Phil) to be regular on here, and then we will have all the way from S. to up N. covered for info.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:39 PM

WLLIX,

If this helps, every new rider goes through all the excitement and uncertainies of learning something completely new.

I remember when I started kiting, I took 2 lessons, bought my gear, and headed out to remote locations where no one was around, partly because I didn't want to get in everyones way, riders that is, and partly because I was affraid I would hurt people if I got out of control.

Let me tell you though, after about 5 or 6 times by myself, with a friend watching of course, I decided to head to east beach at ft. desoto.

My first time out with other kiters I met Chad and found out he lives about 4 minutes from me, and met about 6 other people that I ride with regularly.

In addition to that, my learning curve when through the roof! Just being around other kiters, watching, trying, asking questions, you will learn quickly.

The most important thing is getting a solid foundation to build upon.

You will find on the forum people can unitentionally get very defensive when it comes to safety and preserving the riding spots. Its nothing personal and Scott is right, it can be hard to tell the tone of text on here.

Bottom line, be safe have fun and all kite rock! (had to throw it in there)
Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 PM

Not so long ago, I would had welcome anyone that can advised me with any safety guidance that I can get. Now a year and a half later since I started my first lesson, I still try to listen to any experience kiters that can offer me any advice. I think this sport is one of which you will never stop learning.

I am from the Fort Pierce area and most of the local kiters are not into posting on this forum. I wished I have had this kind of guidance when I started. Although there were many from the Fort Pierce area that were very helpful at guiding newb to a safer beginning.

This is very helpful to newb because there are so many different type of kites and their own different system of rigging of the kite to the bar. The only one that can help with this issue are all the experience kiters that had gone through this. Experience is the only thing that can help with the feel of every new kite setup. There are so many different combo out there.

For most newb, they do not even know what wind speed would be optimum to even try to launch and try to learn. In the past I had been so frustrated just trying to launch and learn in low wind. Not to mention the danger of not being able to relaunch because of low wind and getting stuck in out the water. That is why you need GOOD GUIDANCE and GOOD SAFETY SYSTEM (like some one that can help you AKA rescue boat ) when you are new and not aware of the danger that you can get yourself into.

Keep up the good work to all the experience kiters who had posted.

THANK TO ALL.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 PM

Cool Free Noobie Advice

PER SKYWAY SCOTT'S ADVICE :-D :mrgreen:
AS A FAIRLY NOOBIE (FNOOBIE) MYSELF:mrgreen:
I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND :-D
TAKING THE STEVE-O, INTRO/SAFETY CLASS
WELL WORTH THE 50 BUCKS
I TOOK MY LESSONS, ABOUT 6 HOURS, WITH RANDY
AGAIN, WORTH THE MONEY AND VERY SAFE
WHEN RANDY CUT MY CORD AND RELEASED ME INTO THIS CRUEL WORLD I STAYED AT THE SPOT WHERE I HAD MY LESSONS, BECAUSE I WAS COMFORTABLE WITH THE AREA UNTIL I FELT SAFE TO TRY KITING AT A DIFFERENT AREA NOW, I HAVE FOUND A GREAT GROUP OF GUYS THAT I REALLY ENJOY KITING WITH:shock: AND THEY HAVE ASSISTED ME WITH MANY QUESTIONS MY ADVICE, FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH: FIND ONE PLACE THAT YOU FEEL SAFE & COMFORTABLE WITH, WITH A GOOD "SUPPORT GROUP" UNTIL YOU FEEL 100% CONFIDENT, THEN TRY ANOTHER SPOT, IF YOU WISH JMO