FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 AM

If money is an issue the guys at Triton offer a very nice discount for high school and college students. Not to mention you get to meet alot of people your age.

Check out www.Tritonkiteboarding.com

Feel free to call me and I can get you the info you definately need.

727-542-8022
Old 01-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Skyway Scott

Wilix,

I am just curious, did you take a lesson? Everyone seems to be concluding that you have not, due to this question about line lengths, but I haven't actually heard you say that on here.

If you had a lesson and you didn't get rigging basics in the lesson, that's a real shame. Some instructors are getting lazy (or greedy) imo, and just putting you out there on the kite right off the bat and letting you get a feel for kiting, then going to the next guy. 3 guys a day style.
That's not a lesson, that's just popping 'em out to make money.

Past lesson or not, get one from someone who gives a good one and get back on track.
Steve-O is one example of a good instructor. That class time he mentions is a good investment to hear about stuff, including safety.

I know the sport looks easy and safe, but few sports can turn on you as fast as kiting in terms of getting totally screwed. It's not until most people get their ass handed to them that they believe this statement, no matter how many times others warn them. It's sort of natural. A truly wise person learns from other's mistakes and advice though, and doesn't need to repeat obvious mis-steps.
No need to learn how bad you can get hurt by actually riding in the am"BOO"lance.

Here is an example of an exceptional athlete not having all the training and understanding necessary to stay out of harms way.
It's obvious the kite hits harder than a defensive lineman and that he just didn't know this.

http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t...jupiter+injury

Good luck. Have fun, but be safe.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:20 AM

Yup have and have. The question on the lines was trimming them not rigging. What happend wasnt a result of training just very stupid thinking. Kind of the "wtf was i thinking" sort of moments. I just didnt take the hazards seriously as i should have. Thanks Scott for the info.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Skyway Scott

We all just want you safe and having fun.

Don't put the rear line setting on the knot closest to the kite! It will be too powered up. Put it on the knot 3rd in from the furthest from the kite, to start.

When you launch (before actually), depower the kite all the way at the pull/pull strap. Tune it/trim it to ride once you are out in the water.
It's possible the front lines might stretch a little after riding the kite a few times. If they do, you will want to attach the rear lines even further away from the kite on the knot setting to compensate.
I would go to the WSW course. It can't hurt, the price is right, and you will meet people.
You will most likely learn a ton of stuff that sometimes takes a full year to learn on your own. Especially about local conditions.

The above advice about rigging assumes the kite lines are "just right", out of the bag. They may not be. (Relieve me of responsibility).
I personally NEVER launch a kite in serious wind for the first time. I always tune the kite with the new bar and lines in light winds, first.
There is literally no one in hell I would hand Donna a kite "out of the bag" in anything more than 12 knots.
Best to check it in lighter stuff first.
Most kites today come "ready to rock", but better safe than sorry. I have seen kites be WAY off on the line set, and have whacked guys pretty good.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Skyway Scott

I just got out of the shower and was trying to put myself in your shoes, Wllix.
Most importantly, as Chad pointed out and you are already doing... ask questions. When a new rider comes up to anyone on the beach and asks a question, I have never seen him/her met with anything but a friendly answer. So, just to reinforce was Chad said, we are all friendly and here to help out.
That's not the case with a lot of sports or other settings in life, but it is around here with kiting.
So, don't be shy or purposely stay to yourself.

Also, I bet I rigged my kite at least 15 times before I felt comfortable with it.
Your instructor may very well have shown you all this stuff. It doesn't mean it is going to stick the very first time. I know for me, (Jayson witnessed it for 3 solid months) I would rig and re-check my kite ad nasueum, over and over.
My point is, don't hesitate to ask someone to double check your setup at first. It's not a poor reflection on you or your instructor. It's a good reflection on you wanting to get it right. .
Old 01-21-2008, 06:11 PM

I'm not gonna add much here cuz I'm a total newb, but what Scott is saying is true. My third lesson was in higher than I was used to winds, so my instructor and I decided to use my smaller kite(an 11m that had never been out of the bag, and neither had the bar). The instructor helped me rig, and let me launch the kite for the first time. As the kite launched it flew slowly, but directly to the right side of the window, directly over everyone sitting on the beach and the parked cars. I kept directing it to the left, but it kept flying right fairly uncontrollably. Luckily the instructor ran over and helped since I didnt know what to do.

The culprit was uneven lines that just needed to be stretched. Needless to say I'll never fly a kite straight out the bag without checking the line lengths.
I know you kinda got slightly reamed unexpectedly over your question, so I didn't want to add to it, but I thought my experience was a decent lesson
Good luck out there
Old 01-21-2008, 06:21 PM

I just want to be clear that I wasn't intending to school or "ream" this guy. I just saw a very very poor choice of location to kite which indicated to me someone that is very unsure of what he is doing.

Again, I would rather be wrong and overly protective than say nothing at all and wish I had.

Just want to say that I am here to help in anyway I can.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Skyway Scott

I don't think Steve meant to come across that way either.
It's hard to tell tone on here. I think he just wants Wllx safe.

He actually wrote me a PM about something else, and I told him thanks for making the post. I think it's better to error on being a little cautious/harsh, than not saying anything. Anyone can say "Cool dude" all the time. Speaking your mind, especially in attempts to insure access or safety, takes some guts and it shows he cares.

Steve, use those stupid little smileys... it helps set tone
Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 PM

constructive criticism to preserve our sport, i didnt get a hint of any "reaming" steve-o. 99% of people don't even know what kiteboarding is, they might see a quick pic in the newspaper after a cold front, or know of us as "that thing they do at the skyway." I don't have any statistics, but i imagine the injury rate in our sport is probly the same or less than most mainstream sports. However, lack of knowledge leads people to believe the bad stuff, so ONE bad yardsale could really give our sport a black eye. How many times have you been asked on the beach "what happens if that thing keeps pulling you underwater?" or "will it just make you fly away?" And people that think they know something about kiteboarding will always bring up the kitemares we've all heard, and usually with their own "twist." So just keep in mind the effect your actions can have on all of us, and thats not just directed at you, wllix, that's everybody, myself included. Accidents can and will happen, but every precaution should be taken to avoid them, and lack of instruction is a REALLY bad excuse. Just get some lessons, take your time and be careful. Come on out and share the stoke, bro, see ya on the water
Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 PM

An often overlooked fact is that it takes most kiters 3 or 4 sessions of 3-4 hours each with an instructor, for them even have a chance at covering all the essentials of being a competent, independent kiter. You should not be practicing by yourself until your instructor agrees you're ready and has TESTED your abilities. You shouldnt buy anything but a helmet, harness, wetsuit and booties until you have taken lessons and tried some different kites. Thats how it used to be, but times have changed, and it makes everyone's job of protecting our spots much more difficult.