FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-23-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Cabrina Bow Kite Self Launch Question

I have a question to anyone with experience in self launching a bow kite - specifically a Cabrinha bow kite.

I have finally started getting comfortable in the waves so instead of driving out to Matheson or Crandon, I have been riding behind my apt building on Miami Beach. The problem is that I often ride alone and am forced to self launch and land. I am fortunate to live right on a wide rarely populated area of beach so the conditions for a self launch are ideal but I still have yet to perfect it. I usually use the "sand bag" method which is described in detail in an article written by Paul Menta on page 89 of Kiteboarding Magazine - 11/06. (Although I usually attach my Chicken Loop to a fixed post on the beach instead of the sandbag).

I just found this video on you tube of someone self launching an Ozone Instinct in a really easy way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KAMj-K1W8Q

My question is: Does anyone know if it is safe to launch a Cabrinha Contra Bow in the same manner that is demostrated in this video? Has anyone tried this before? Also, is there a safe way to self land a bow kite without affixing your chicken loop to a sand bag or fixed object?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I'll see if Paul can respond to your question personally or one of the guys with Adventure Sports. Anyway, the safest and most reliable way to launch or land a kite is with experienced help and good communication.

That said, as far as launching the Cabrinhas solo launch fairly well as long as you have a good downwind buffer by pretending it is on the water. You stand to the side of the window or slightly upwind in lighter stuff, pull on one side of the bar until it goes edge up. Then you reverse your pull on the bar and it should fly right up. If you don't do it the kite will slide downwind. NOTE: you may need to sheet out to burn off the power so be ready. MAKE SURE you thoroughly preflight to avoid tangles cause if you have one you might eat it but good doing this solo. You don't want anyone to be downwind of you and close by when you do this.

As to solo landing, I prefer to attach the chicken loop to a firm anchor. You can use the several year old C kite solo spin the leading edge into the wind technique as well without an anchor. You can abrade and even pierce your leading edge doing this however.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by admin; 04-24-2007 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:59 AM

Hey, ok, well i am glad people are cpoying what i am doing, 2 years ago people told me i was a kook for launching like that.....p.s. i am still a kook.

What they dont tell you there, is a few important steps:

turn the kite to the winds side, leading edge facing the way you want it to go

if its windy, you can put some sand "behind " the leading edge so it doesnt slide

important......when walking back to tension lines, you back needs to be into the wind, and you must turn the bar hard, the oposite way you want the kite to go, so want the kite to go to the left, you must turn the bar hard right.

once the kite is tensioned and rolls, stop walking back, sheet out on the bar, when kite launches....FULLY SHEET OUT so you will not be draged....also if you launch in light wind and the kite doesnt open up to roll...take 2 steps foward

look also in the next kiteboarder for a drift launch as well, i have photos of this self launch, i will find for you, or i can shoot a quick vid

aloha Paul
Old 04-24-2007, 08:32 AM
Can't Re-member

Paul,

Self-launching , even in 30+ kts is easy. I do it just like you pointed out all the time.

The real trick is to Self-land in +30 kts, they always wanna relaunch even when ditching into the water., esp. the 9m. Not a problem tho' in lower winds
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 AM

sorry my bad, the video i looked at showed self launch......

self land

in the water you always have the option to put kite in water, with out holding the bar and then , go up the out side line pulling in, disconect you bar and keep pulling kite to you. Any time handling lines, you have to becarefull.
When you disconect the bar and let it go, it just drifts downwindbelow the kite and doesnt become a mess.

On the beach....this is advanced

what i do is i let the bar out so the kite is sitting on the beach. i grab center line[the one closest to were the leading edge is pointing] and i start to walk up wind. Once i get upwind of the kite, i pull very hard on the center line and the kite falls over, then i walk towards the kite after its down, still walking up the line.

A point here...you disconect the chix loop from yourself, but leave your leash conected to the chix loop....just incase of a problem, my kite doesnt go godzilla down the beach after everyone.{i sometimes leave the chix loop conected to my harness like in the photos}
Try this is light winds and when you understand the angles of this, it is fine instronger winds......you always can use you safety and let go of the bar as well, instead of any of this.

THE KITEBOARDER will have a whole guide this issue, so stay tuned for great photos and all the text, i hope this helps....i need to go out on the water and test some new stuff!