FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-14-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd RT View Post
No other launches anywhere on hmi or caladesi???? Just that one spot on HMI? What about other wind directions??

Will this be lifted when the birds are not nesting anymore?
I did my best. I did not make the rules up just passing them along to others so that I can keep access to the place I most love to ride. Other wind directions will require riding other places. Too much north in it go to sunset, if it is dead onshore and the riders ability does not allow them to get out off shore this is not the place for them.

For those that have not been to Honeymoon Island, Please note to this is not a beginner friendly location. Mega current from the pass. People everywhere down wind of you. Boats of every size hauling ass in every direction with no concern for you. Jet skis jumping the same waves you are riding. The water is deep and fast in the area that we are allowed to ride in. There are concrete channel markers everywhere. You must know and check the tides, and then understand how the tides work in the area.

I would suggest that we all show the park that we will change our habits to meet their requests at this time. Once we have shown them that we are working with them I will go back to the manager and discuss options for the winter. As I said he was very cool in wanting to work with us. In the winter when it is cold, windy, and the birds are gone I will ask for more (let me know what specific area you would like access to). Right now I was trying to get a spot to ride. We have been shut out of Honeymoon for three weeks and there were lots of days in that three weeks that I would have been out there riding the flysurfer and glide. One step at a time.

There is a small island just east of calidisi that is just covered with nesting birds right now. Any kite launced on the north end will result in spooking those birds. That is what we need to stop doing.

I was out there Friday and someone was on the north end of Calidisi with a big blue kite. There was not enough wind for him to ride and he was just playing on the beach with it like it was a trainer kite. I am sure he did not know that he was doing damage to our access but he certainly was.

There is a law on the books right now that the manager told me about. If you spook a "lesser tern" off of their nest the fine is $500.00. That is per bird!!! You could ride past a section of beach and technically get a fine for more than your net worth.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:57 AM

THANKS AGAIN CRAIG! We appreciate everything you are doing to preserve our access! I was just makin' sure I understood.

Cya!

"The biggest drawback of kiteboarding is the adverse effects it has on getting anything else done."