FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Skyway Scott

Default Rules

I will be surprised if we don't get some sort of regulation within a year at one of our beaches.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...1m30kites.html
Old 07-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Tom Stock

Quote:
The kite knocked off Mires' hat, then a cord wrapped around the neck of his 10-year-old daughter, Tapanga, who had waded over for a better look. Mires, quickly untangled the cord and freed her.

“All I could see mentally . . . was that it could cut her at the neck or worse,” Mires said. “I thought. 'Oh my God. I have to get her out of it.' It bounced again and more wires came down on her but I got her.”

After the incident, Mires' father, also named Ron Mires, wrote a letter to the general manager of the Coronado Cays, who forwarded the letter to city officials. The letter was then sent to state parks officials, who began working with the Coronado Cays Home Owners Association and kite surfers to come up with the new rules.
If that 10yr old had been seriously hurt or killed they no doubt be coming up with a ban instead of just rules...
Old 07-02-2008, 02:26 PM

I don't think regulation will come if we continue to police ourselves the way we have. I think bans are more likely in other parts of the state. Because this areas riders put such an emphasis on safety and help the newer riders understand how important being safe is, we are labelled by other riders in other parts of the state as being too vocal. In my opinion, we are just good at communication and I think that will play in our favor. We have Jim Wilson on our side so at least Fort Desoto is safe. He knows how much we care about safety and I think he respects us for that. So I think a ban or regulations (other than self-regulation) is still pretty far off for our area...Just my opinion...
Old 07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Tom Stock

I think PAG and T.I. are likely to face bans.

A few months ago I watched a well known long time rider on a down winder from PAG. He rode directly through obviously marked swim zones, actually jumping kids. He (appeared to have) intentionally sprayed a young kid in the face, and then botched a jump and kicked the board off, missing another kid's head by a few feet with the board.

Parents were pissed, and a lot of people were jumping up and down yelling and cursing, and a few people were talking about calling the cops... and the rider...saw them, ignored them, and continued down wind through the swim zone jumping.

If he had come to shore there would have been a fight with some of the beach goers I am fairly sure of it.

So much for our self regulation, East Beach is just one place and it lacks swim zones and swimmers.

Self regulation ultimately means people regulating themselves and not everyone is willing to do it.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM

My money is still on no regulation for quite some time...
Old 07-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Peace
www.tbka.org

Last edited by TBKA; 07-02-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:04 AM

Not to kick the dead horse for the 100000th time.. but anyone that does not think this is inevitable for some of our primary beaches is smoking something fierce.

The one thing in our favor is that *most* of our best beach days are those that are too windy for the huge crowds. obviously there are those days where its a wall to wall people and that perfect seabreeze is just enough for us, but not enough to swirl the sand in all the beach-goers faces.

I've seen behavior exactly like Tom describes.. agressive and intentional ..

Look how much press the sport got locally when that kid got lofted into the power lines. That was just a solo rider injury. Imagine how it would be if a non-rider got hurt.

But I agree that the argument could be (if it was a result of someone showboating and getting another hurt) that it was the fault of that solo rider not being safe and not a problem of the sport as a whole.. while that may sit fine in our minds.. it will not sit fine in the publics minds. People are f**king crazy. They read one headline and freak out. It would be a mess. Ban or regulations or whatever.. it would be a massive headache for all..

and.. thats my soapbox speil for the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stock View Post
I think PAG and T.I. are likely to face bans.

A few months ago I watched a well known long time rider on a down winder from PAG. He rode directly through obviously marked swim zones, actually jumping kids. He (appeared to have) intentionally sprayed a young kid in the face, and then botched a jump and kicked the board off, missing another kid's head by a few feet with the board.

Parents were pissed, and a lot of people were jumping up and down yelling and cursing, and a few people were talking about calling the cops... and the rider...saw them, ignored them, and continued down wind through the swim zone jumping.

If he had come to shore there would have been a fight with some of the beach goers I am fairly sure of it.

So much for our self regulation, East Beach is just one place and it lacks swim zones and swimmers.

Self regulation ultimately means people regulating themselves and not everyone is willing to do it.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 07-03-2008, 09:42 AM

Uhhh... if they ban you guys, ride there anyways.

How are they going to catch you doing a downwinder all the way down to PaG?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420 View Post

thats jsut the mentality we do not need in our area
Old 07-03-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420 View Post

kevin,

marine patrol can and will be on you in minutes.
don't kid yourself.
l8r