FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-23-2010, 01:58 PM
damion_dark

Exclamation Slingshot Kite Defects

Just wanted to show you guys how a slingshot kite can go from perfect to ruined in mild heat. Its really bad that slingshots have this defect :-?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foTce3n9JDo
Old 04-23-2010, 02:58 PM

I wasn't aware that was still a problem with SS kites. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, it was a HUGE problem circa 2004. I was a loyal SS rider from around 01 to 04/05, but had to stop riding the kites. It simply wasn't worth it to me to constantly be screwing with the bladders and missing sessions due to it. SS customer service (at that time Jim Shephard) was very gracious with new, free bladders for LE and struts... but... the problem was so rampant that replacing at least one bladder every other time I wanted to ride wasn't (even close to) worth it so I stopped riding SS (even before the Links came out )

I really wasn't aware this was still a problem, as I don't see it happening at our launch spots. Seems like SS has some pretty good kites out now too, so this isn't a slam. I am honestly interested in this, more out of curiosity than anything.

I find the experiment interesting. What temp was the water?
What temp can a car reach? Obviously the thermal properties of water are different from air. Not sure that experiment is valid, to be honest.
Placing the kite in your car outside in the sun, then seeing same effect on the glue after 30 minutes (or 6 hours) would be more realistic (from a scientific point of view).

Anyway, no doubt that glue totally sucked a.s.s a few years ago. It was THE reason I stopped riding SS, after owning at least 12 of them.
I thought SS figured this out and fixed it though (?)
Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
damion_dark

Lightbulb

Well this is from an older kite. I don't know if they fixed it or not. I knwo some people that have the same problem. Yeah I guess its a good thing you switched. Your right its not worth the trouble. I didn't record the temperature of the water but it was cool enough for me to put my finger in for a few seconds. There wasn't even steam rising from and and the cup had been sitting there for a while. I don't know that thermodynamics of objects placed in water but I do know that on an August day a car can get really hot. Even the exterior door handle on my car (for the trunk hatch) deformed permanently one day into a "drip-like" formation once lol. And that was outside my car! Wow 12 kites, ouch. I feel for you. Maybe they fixed it. I'm not sure. Aside from other people I know who have this problem too, my kite suffers form this as well. Interesting experiment though.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:15 PM

Older SS kites did have bladder issues galore and placing them in warm to hot water was a fast way of removing the old nipples and preparing them for the replacement Airtime nipples.

Newer SS kites are not as easy to melt off however, and I haven't seen this issue in newer SS kites from 08 on.

Flexi, North, and many others had this same problem with heat, but I believe this is a thing of the past.

Pick up an old FUEL for a few hundred bucks and be prepared to replace all the nipples. Its seems like a good deal until you have 12 nipples that need replacing.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 PM

Sounds like it's from an older kite then. I guess.
I haven't seen or heard much about SS kites having problems here locally.

On a side note, as Steve mentioned, I remember when Flexi made BOMBER bladders, then about 2/3 years ago they had a really bad run. I have a 12m Ion 2 in my garage b/c it's not worth dealing with anymore.

Hopefully the Flexi thing is a thing of the past (like SS).

Again, not sure how this stuff works... but it seems like all kite companies would do everything in their power to make sure the place their bladders are made does it right. I (and at least 3 other people on 2 other brands I know) have totally switched brands and never looked back over bladder issues.

It's been more than 10 years, seems like they would nail it by now.

Leaks Suck
Old 04-24-2010, 12:06 PM
damion_dark

Yes, hopefully it does not happen in the future. Yeah after 10 years you would think so lol. Which brands did they switch to? And from which brand?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:42 PM

It really doesn't matter. My point was that bladder issues can really suck.
Seems like several companies have run into the problem. May be luck of the draw with factory (?), who knows.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:19 PM
damion_dark

I am interested in which brands so as to see if I can find out more information. Currently, I've switched over to BEST and haven't had any problems. Which brand do you recommend? I will be putting another video up soon. It will be a tutorial on how to fix valve leaks. Hopefully it can help people out there who ar experiencing similar problems. Stay tuned

Last edited by damion_dark; 04-24-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:38 PM

I've been on Best since the 08's came out. Haven't had issues with bladders, except on one kite. They just sent me a whole new kite when that issue arose.

We just fixed a kite out there today, actually. (Royal)
and a Best kite blew up so loud (while being pumped up) it sounded like a frickin cannon went off... LMAO.

Seems like lots of good choices out there these days.

Those guys were on SS, Flexi, North who switched, since you seem so curious.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 PM
damion_dark

Wow that is good service. Ouch, sorry to hear that. How di did you end up fixing it? Cool, thanks.