FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-19-2006, 01:50 AM

Default Kidneys, how safe are they in kiteboarding?

Here is the deal, for all practical considerations i only have 1 kidney...so i need to protect it....so i will definitely get a impact vest....

but should i get a waist or a seat harness....will waist harness potentially have the possibility of causing damage in a worst case senerio...i would guess yes but would like the opinion of some riders....

maybe for regular riding wear a seat, and then if i want to go tricks (once i learn how) use a waist?

if a seat harness...one with a high back (back support) or normal cup..advantages/disadvantages...

any specific reccomendations...

thanks
Old 09-19-2006, 06:14 AM

check this out. http://oceanrodeo.com/harness.php
it can be used az a seat or waist harness.
and the seat harness allows mad style options for board shorts.
L8r
Old 09-20-2006, 12:24 PM
tomstock

My 2 cents, I think the seat harness is the way to go... check out the Dakine Nitrous.

Waist harnesses look good and are good for toeside tricks but damn they kill my back, legs and ribs. I am sore for days after riding.

There is a reason rock climbers use seat harnesses... and it's very similar to what happens kiteboarding. All load is at your center of gravity not your back or torso. You can edge harder for jumps and go upwind better with a seat harness too, and if you get the shorts it's one less thing to carry or forget at the beach. When overpowered you get pulled to your but, not onto your face.

The Nitrous shorts look just as cool as a waist harness and are comfortable..I can ride all day without being sore as long as I wear under armour (lycra sports underwear) to prevent chaffing from the leg straps. I can ride toeside with them, no problem you just twist a little harder.

Some still go for the waist harness. Personal preference.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:32 PM

i have toms old pair of nitrous shorts in my garage if you want them, they are size 36...
let me know
Old 09-20-2006, 01:28 PM
tomstock

I was talking to someone out at backside who was asking about them...Venice maybe? Maybe he will take them off your hands...

(basically they are free to whoever will use them, size 36-38)
Old 09-20-2006, 01:49 PM

I'm a waist harness guy, don't want to bother with the chafing issue. Chafing is always going to be inevitable at times, but I'd rather minimize it. I don't get any extra wear on my legs :?: with a waist harness, I would think that a seat harness is harder on the legs due to the straps but I do agree with Tom that my back and ribs do get sore sometimes, mostly when it's honking or if I haven't ridden in a while. I think your legs take a beating from seat harnesses (chafing) so I think I'll probably always wear a waist harness or an Ocean Rodeo Session harness is probably the closest I'll ever get to wearing a seat...like Tom said, it all comes down to personal preference in the end...
Old 09-20-2006, 04:08 PM
tomstock

Hey Toby, if you get a pair of under armor you won't chaffe. I use them surfing. Most of the chaffing I get is from walking back up the beach with the board when surfing or walking back upwind with the kite on those light days.

Since wearing these, I never chaffe. I can surf or kite surf all day with no problems. I definately recommend them regardless of which harness you are using!

The nitrous harness itself doesn't really chaffe all that much because the leg loops are up higher and not around your theighs, and they are nice and soft and do not move around.

I got torn up more by the waist harness than the seat harness because it was always spinning around my waist and sliding up and down when jumping... I'd get those nasty red rashes around my waist, sometimes to the point of bleeding, and the stupid bar would dig into my sternum!
Old 09-20-2006, 04:26 PM

Thanks Tom, I'll have to go pick some up. I usually wear a rash guard so the rash on my beer belly and back is minimal but I am sure the Under Armor will help with the chafe! I DID just start to jump though so maybe it'll be another story once I get some good wind and jump a little higher, who knows? Tom, you said waist harnesses bother your legs, is that because of where the pull of the kite is from or something else?