FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 AM

Default where to go on miami beach??

I am getting burned out on matheson and i am looking for a quite beach launch somewhere. I see alot of kites in north miami. I live in south dade so the farther south the better.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by windydayzz View Post
I am getting burned out on matheson and i am looking for a quite beach launch somewhere. I see alot of kites in north miami. I live in south dade so the farther south the better.
I am not sure about the relative distance but you might consider going to Homestead. More at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2499

I don't think we have managed to get ourselves banned there yet.

This is unlike Miami Beach where technically kiting has been banned for about five years! It just isn't regularly enforced. Most of the more popular launches that I am aware of are in the North Miami Beach area.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-16-2007, 01:59 PM

Rick I already kite at bayfront(acually the nation park next to it). With all the windsurfers. It is a drift launch and self land. Since i have no kite buddies it is a little risky. I am looking into setting up and anchor out there to hook my kite to and do a launch from there.
I was looking for a new spot on the beach so my girlfriend could enjoy the day. I have a boat a kite from a sandbar alot but it is a hassle for a short session.

i live in homestead so if anyone else lives down here hit me up.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Too funny. How is riding down there anyway?

Yes, I would embed a good anchor to make things easier for you. Just make sure it won't shift if things gust up much.

I know some guys head off around 3rd St. but there have been some lifeguard issues particularly when it is crowded.

The rest that I know about head off 21 and 87 St.'s. Still, there are issues at those launches as well.

Good luck.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-16-2007, 05:21 PM

rick I make an anchor out of two conrete blocks. i filled the cells soild with concrete and put bolts in both. I plan on throwing those in the mud out there attached to each other. They weight about 50lbs each do you think they will hold a kite down( bullaroos)..
Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by windydayzz View Post
rick I make an anchor out of two conrete blocks. i filled the cells soild with concrete and put bolts in both. I plan on throwing those in the mud out there attached to each other. They weight about 50lbs each do you think they will hold a kite down( bullaroos)..
I am not familiar with how much, if at all, Bullaroos load up in strong gusts when secured by the chicken loop. Still, 50 lbs. in air x 2 submerged sounds like a pretty effective anchor.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 AM

I'd recommend using an anchor for a boat that is 30 feet long and putting about 15 feet or better of 1/2 inch chain to it and the thing should stay.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 PM

I have seen one guy at south beach a couple times, but he shows up after the lifeguards have left, which is after 6pm. Usually there aren't many people by that time. But you would have to self launch and land. Next time I see him I'll ask how he does it.