FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Bahamian Kiteboarding Forum
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-30-2006, 08:06 AM

Default How many kiters?

Just stumbled on this site. I think I am the only kiteboarder in Abaco. How many in Nassau?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:28 AM

Welcome to the BKF, how much of us, that’s a good question I know there isn’t that many, there’s
1 Myself, Shuman, aka, Superman, aka , Prayfawind
2 AJ aka Mocean,
3 Mark aka , Moyle muncha
4 Dave aka, Balloon boy
5 Metteo aka ?
6 Peter aka, Pedro
7 Robby aka, dillette53
8 Robby Mayers aka ?
9 Jason aka, ?
All new kiteboarders are welcomed and would find no trouble for info, transportion and riding advice. How's the Adacos ?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:04 PM

Default welcome man

thanks for joining us here.
there isn't that many of us but the guys that ride here are all cool, and Passionate about this sport.
whats the wind like in abaco? and is the wind ina good dirction for winter to ride kitesurf in the waves?
aj
Old 10-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Can't Re-member

Went to Great Guana cay about five years ago in december and it is da Bomb! nice sandy beaches for launching and big surf on the east side with flat water a few hundred yards away on the west side

I just wish bahamasair hadn't lost all of my kitesurfing gear up until the last day of my vacation :twisted: :evil: ops: cause it was blowin' 25 the whole time :roll:
Old 10-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: How many kiters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guana Cay
Just stumbled on this site. I think I am the only kiteboarder in Abaco. How many in Nassau?
Are you the chef at a local restaurant down by the harbor? If so, we met while I was over for my wedding on Hopetown last May. You sure do have a great riding spot!

How has your wind been lately with these nice cold fronts and waves?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-30-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Abaco

Abaco is great spot. Guana is unusual because we have beaches on both the Atlantic and the sea of Abaco sides. There is tons of flat water but also great wave riding. Good ferry service to all the outer Cays means long downwinders with no boat needed to follow.

The cook is a guy named Sean. He just started this spring. I've been flogging away(as my wife says) since 2000. I go back to two line wipka's and a lot of prayer.

Treasure Cay, Hopetown, Green Turtle and Guana Cay all have great beaches and orientation to take advantage of any wind direction. Just watch out for the "cruisers". I'm sure you guys get them in Nassau. I have always believed they can't swim as fast as I can sail....right.

Contacted Niel Hutchinson to see if we could put together a Bahamian Team for the Bimini race. Seems like it has been put off. Any interest in a team race from Sandy Point to Nassau? I bet Ministry of Tourism would be interested.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 PM

Default man that's a long way

I was asking rick in one of his posts if he new of any1 that would like to add a comp in the bahamas to there circut itenary ,but didn't get a respose back.
I think a long ride like that would attract some good press but that's alot of money in fule for support boats to get from FL to abaco or here and back.
so it kinda narrows down whos going to do it.
but I would be willing to help organize an event if any1 is will to help make it happen.
aj
Old 10-31-2006, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Abaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guana Cay
Abaco is great spot. Guana is unusual because we have beaches on both the Atlantic and the sea of Abaco sides. There is tons of flat water but also great wave riding. Good ferry service to all the outer Cays means long downwinders with no boat needed to follow.

The cook is a guy named Sean. He just started this spring. I've been flogging away(as my wife says) since 2000. I go back to two line wipka's and a lot of prayer.

Treasure Cay, Hopetown, Green Turtle and Guana Cay all have great beaches and orientation to take advantage of any wind direction. Just watch out for the "cruisers". I'm sure you guys get them in Nassau. I have always believed they can't swim as fast as I can sail....right.

Contacted Niel Hutchinson to see if we could put together a Bahamian Team for the Bimini race. Seems like it has been put off. Any interest in a team race from Sandy Point to Nassau? I bet Ministry of Tourism would be interested.

The two times I was over there in the summer the wind wasn't on. It looks like the riding would be insane there during frontal season through. You have so many launches, flat water and wave spots. I feel like hoping a plane this afternoon!

Small world, we visited the UW Park and Guana on one day and I stopped by the shop. I told him about this site, hope he is progressing well.

Riding in the Abacos since 2000, that adds new meaning to the term "Lone Ranger." Bet you have had some great rides.

AJ, that hurts! Look again, there was a response at:
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?p=9866

Let me know what you have in mind and we'll try to put something together. You have an excellent venue.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-01-2006, 05:58 AM

Default secret lagoon

Hey Guana

My memory is a but rusty but I allways am thinking of a spot I saw years ago before I started kiting. I think it was between Guana and Scotland Cay. Big shallow lagoon flanked by buffs on either island.

do you know where I mean and if so have you tried it?

MM
Old 11-01-2006, 05:58 AM

Default bluffs

bluffs that is