FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-29-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel View Post
Your kidding right? There were more accidents at Whale Harbor this year than anywhere in the keys. Kites in the trees all the time, a girl lofted to the top of a tree after no body told her the kite was too big. An out of control kite from one of the instructors death looping and hitting a model in the resort next door. Riders hitting sliders that are parked on the beach so know one will hit them. Kiteloops 10 ft. off the beach. The best close call I remember was a pro kiter (no names) going under the WH bridge with the kite still in neutral, he unhooked and let go of the kite. He went under the bridge and his kite went over the bridge and under the powerlines. Do I need to go on.

If anyone models their beach off of WH, don't expect it to remain open for long. I love riding at Whale Harbor but it still has alot of problems. The locals there try to police the beach but the people in charge of the beach don't say anything to anyone even when asked to say something.
Noel,

I couldn't help but laugh as this is such a classic "grass is greener on the other side" isn't it.

Sorry to hear such BS going on at Whale Harbor. Sunset is kiting nirvana compared to WH.....at least so it sounds.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:55 PM

Default Beach rash

Did anyone see the new guy the other day at sunset?
Went in the water fine. Was body dragging for about an hour in 3 feet of water. Came out and had this weird rash from his waist to his knees. He said it was burning like fire. Looked like some kind of strange bites/rash thing going on...said it happened to him the last time he was at sunset as well!!! I think he called the state to have the water tested.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
Noel,

I couldn't help but laugh as this is such a classic "grass is greener on the other side" isn't it.

Sorry to hear such BS going on at Whale Harbor. Sunset is kiting nirvana compared to WH.....at least so it sounds.

Hey Steve,

Yes, Sunset is a slice of paradise. My grandmother lives in Tarpon Springs and I have been kiting Sunset for 8 yrs.. Love that place. I kited Howard Park once. Caught alot of shit back then from some off the windsurfers before going out but got mad props when I got in. Even the ranger was cool before he asked me to leave. You guys got your work cut out for you. Not much I can do except offer help if ever needed.

As for Whale Harbor. Every beach has its own problems. Most people will tell you though that even though it's not our beach per say, we (the locals) police Annes Beach pretty well. If we have a problem that we can't handle, there is always the local sheriff who is always willing to lend a hand to keep it safe. Not to say we don't have our own problems at times. We can't be there all the time but as I have been saying for years. Policeing is the only way.

Where I live for the summers in New Jersey. We have one of the strictest crews of kiters I have seen anywhere and still from time to time a problem arrises. 1 of the kiters works for the township and has made it easier. He is the kite nazi.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel View Post
Your kidding right?
Nope, not kidding.

Of course I only have one experience there and it was awesome, not just because of the water. It seemed as though everyone had a semi organized system being as small of a launch area and so many kites.

So with that said, that is what I based my statement on, oh and I witnessed no accidents.

But by the sounds of it, good luck down there and i WILL be back to ride one day.

Danny
Old 06-30-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester View Post
Did anyone see the new guy the other day at sunset?
Went in the water fine. Was body dragging for about an hour in 3 feet of water. Came out and had this weird rash from his waist to his knees. He said it was burning like fire. Looked like some kind of strange bites/rash thing going on...said it happened to him the last time he was at sunset as well!!! I think he called the state to have the water tested.
Yup, I think his name is Tom? I saw him with the hose down his pants trying to ease the pain. I try to stay above the waterline as much as possible.

"The biggest drawback of kiteboarding is the adverse effects it has on getting anything else done."
Old 06-30-2009, 08:58 AM

Todd,

you guys see me crashing all the time out there no doubt, I even had to drive to howard park and wade through the muck to retrieve my kite after my safety leash failed yesterday, but I have actually never felt the burning or itching that is being described here.

However, a couple years ago when I was just getting into the sport I spent alot of time in the water at Lassing Park and I can confirm that I did have some stinging sensation that lasted over the night.

I did not have a rash though and nothing lasted more than a day...
Old 07-03-2009, 10:12 AM

Check it out. What if everyone at Sunset tries to do the following? And passes the word to folks that don't, that this is how it works at SB.

Always launch as far east as possible.

When you are launching have your board placed by the waters edge BEFORE you launch your kite.

As soon as the kite is in the air get off the beach with a sense of urgency, like you were getting off an airplane full of passangers waiting behind you.

Don't stand on the beach with a kite overhead and have a conversation, if you see this happening just ask the person if they are coming or going, they should get the point. You don't park on the on ramp to the freeway.

Stay away from the launch area unless you are coming in to land your rig or change boards.

If you are coming in and see a kite in the air at the beach take another tack and come back when there is no kite in the air.

When you come in drop your kite wrap up your lines quickly take your kite from the person that landed you and put the rig up on the grass NOT on the beach. Notice the "wrap up your lines", this pratice will keep your lines from being damaged and causing you a potential nightmare in the future, not to mention it makes launching and landing much faster and SAFER for everyone there.

Don't ride even near the swim zone or swimmers that are not in the swim zone.

The few teachers at SB are very very good about getting way way out before starting their lessons, and staying out while the lesson is going on. They are doing that out of respect for the better riders not because it is easy to walk out there. Show them the same respect and give them and the student some room.

If you see kookism don't stand there and wait for the show to unfold, address it with the kook before an event takes place.

Be aware that their ARE power lines on the southern end of the lagoon. Don't tempt fate and our access by riding at the extreem southern end of the lagoon. The winds not good or safe in there anyway.

Realize that you are kiting on a very lush and live grass flat. This ecosystem is the breeding grounds for many kinds of sealife. Respect the grass flat and the life on it.

This time of year there are very small jellyfish that are hard to even see. They sting. One sting or a dozen you don't even notice, 10,000 - 100,000 stings you get a rash. Their stings will not get thru tight nylon or spandex rash guards. If you are going to body drag for hours there get a cheep pair of ladies panty hose wear them under your shorts and booties and you will not get any stings on your lower body (from the jelly fish, can't protect you from fellow kiters though)

The water at Sunset does not need to be tested the kiters do.

I'm not suggesting that most folks there are not already doing some of these things, they are. I'm just suggesting that if everyone made an effort to do all of these things it would be cool.

Enjoy the wind.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:46 PM

Excellent list. Most of it can apply everywhere.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Thanks Uniscott.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:19 PM

Default The "kid" strikes again

The innocent "kid" who was the main topic beginning this thread by riding through the swimmers at SB and probably didn't know better, returned to SB with his mom & dad on Tuesday.
As a squall was moving towards the beach and the wind began to rapidly increase, all kiters on the water immediately came to the beach and landed their kites. The kid had just finished rigging his 8m hp. SEVERAL local kiters told him NOT to launch his kite (with his parents listening) explaining the inherent dangers. He arragantly TOLD his father to launch his kite, which his father couldn't do fast enough. Off he went into the dark haze. About 1 minute later, all Hell broke loose and the Heavens opened up Niagra Falls, with the wind spiking above 30 knots and gusting. Fortuneatly for him, he survived. After being stuck in "no man's land" for about 5 minutes, he was able to make his way back to the beach, where his Dad landed his kite.
They immediately packed up and went home.
So once again, here you have a recurring situation. What can you do?
BE FOREWARNED: THERE ARE MEASURES BEING TAKEN AT SB TO RESTRICT IRRESPONSIBLE RIDERS FROM REVOKING ACCESS AT SB.
I'VE ALREADY TALKED TO MY COUSIN VINNY BRAKAYOUKNEES AND HE'S ON HIS WAY DOWN FROM BROOKLYN.
:shock: