FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > Central Florida Downwinder Race
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey AJ,

What issues does Patrick AFB pose to this downwinder? We don't want to cause any problems.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
Hey AJ,

What issues does Patrick AFB pose to this downwinder? We don't want to cause any problems.
I tried to get a hold of AJ via email on this last night, asked for input via email or on here with no reply then or now. I am concerned about possible problems with a kite ride by of Patrick AFB. I recall years back we had some issues with Air Police chasing down kiters riding near there. It would be good not to aggravate the situation with a mass of kiters going through their take off corridor with training flight touch and goes. At least without permission or some assurances from the base that this wouldn't be a problem.

AJ, this is your que to speak up. Tried to help get the word out about the race per your request but lacking further input on the situation, this segment of the race appears to be ill advised.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-17-2009, 04:26 PM

I hope it's not an issue. I understand that they down wind through this area quite frequently. It's such a short area, I wonder how far off the coast you need to be in this zone to be legal.

I can see that they don't want riders there all day, but given that the race start is just to the North, all riders would be through the area with in 30 minutes at the most.

I hope that this can be worked out.

On another note, if it can be worked out, AJ had better start pumping it now to get some interest. It's a pretty long drive to do so I'd like to see at least 50-60 riders there in order to make it fun.

Rick, is there any way you can toss up a poll to see how many riders are planning on attending? From my side, we have a good group coming, but only if there is going to be some good attendance, if not we will just do a fun down wind ride. Let me know. AJ WHERE ARE YOU???
Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I am still trying to find out how to setup a poll on here. Used to know how to do it on the last software package. Hope it is an option with the current setup.

Didn't you say guys regularly do downwinders off the airbase Kent? That is some pretty useful local info, as I've said my knowledge of issues in the area is years old. At that time there were problems heating up. It has been suggested running further offshore of the base. I think I was close to a mile off the south side of Lake Worth Inlet the 60 mile run before last to Ft. Lauderdale. It isn't that hard to do and could make a big difference in this case. Once again, this would be a great time for AJ to provide some input on his race. There is interest but there are also concerns, time for some information exchange.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

AJ just gave me a call with a summary of things. He spoke to various USCG, Air Force and related personal at five offices related to Patrick AFB and the area. He described the race, what is involved and verified there were no problems with the activity. All parties he spoke with said they didn't have a problem with the race going past the airbase baring landing there or loitering off the base.

AJ told me after the start he will drive down to the north area of the base where to the boardwalk and verify that kiters stay a reasonable distance off shore, several hundred yards or more and successfully get past the base. He will intercede with issues that arise but from current statements, there shouldn't be any.

This is AJ's deal, not mine, but it sounds like fun and seems to be ok with the authorities. NOTE: this doesn't mean it is OK to launch and kite off the base because it is not. Locals likely know this already from years past. He will provide a lot more detail in the party and Captains meeting.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 PM

Default Downwind Race

I was VERY concerned about the race crossing through PAB. I know that they do not want kiters there at all. I called A.J. and asked him about it. He seems to think it will be OK. But I am still very concerned about it. Especially since this is my backyard and not his.

Anyone participating in this race PLEASE STAY AS FAR OUT AS POSSIBLE! You do not want to be greeted by a helicopter and machine guns.

Also...It is SPRING BREAK. The beaches have been PACKED! I do not see how tons of riders are going to possibly launch from Cherie Down. We rode there today at like 3:00 and the beach was very crowded. The race is going to be on a weekend too! You couldn't possibly launch 40 kites there on a Saturday. Not to mention all the swimmers up and down the beach!!! PLEASE STAY FAR OFFSHORE IN COCOA BEACH if you do participate.

If you are in the Cocoa Beach area and need anything for the race...stop by the Ron Jon Surf School and check out the ONLY kite shop in the area by Good Breeze Kiteboarding. The Surf School is two blocks north of the main Ron Jon Shop behind the Pizza Hut. We are also doing a Kite, SUP and Surf Demos in the main Ron Jon Surf Shop on the next two Fridays (3/20 and 3/27) between 2-4. Ride safely and call me with any questions about Cocoa Beach.

Billy Bosch (386-235-9804)
Old 03-17-2009, 07:26 PM

I just want to make it clear that Good Breeze Kiteboarding and the Ron Jon Surf School are NOT involved in anyway with this race. I hope that it is successful and runs smoothly. I will try to get away from work to check it out. Good luck to all riders!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 PM

Great points Bos. I spoke with AJ as well and he is planning on addressing the distance issue around PAFB. As far as the launch is concerned, if we are off the beach at 10 am as planned, i can't imagine that this will be an issue if i can use Miami Beach as an example.

Apart from the base, i think that bringing a well attended event to this part of the state is a good thing. The area has suffered by not having many organized events and i think that it will probably be a benefit to the local kite scene in the long run. I for one totally understand the need to preserve access and will do my part to minimize our impact.

I'd sure like to see how many riders might be attending. Shout out if you plan on heading up.

Kent
Damo
Gebi
Josh "the npx guy"

are all in. see you there.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM

Default Race Info..PAFB..

Hey Guys. I am sorry that I have not been on this forum, but I have been busy with issues. I have talk to "People" at PAFB, they have said it will not be a problem. I will make sure of that after the start of the race, and put myself down at the boardwalk, to make sure everyone stays off the beach. If there is any law enforcement issue's, I will handle them before I start the race myself..I do know that this is Spring Break Time, but the race is going to happen early in the morning on Saturday, hopefully before the crowds get there. I too am from this area, and have been here kiting for over 10 years, so I can call this my own backyard, per say. I too do not want anything to happen to this Sport, and the business that it generates.I will be posting more info on the race in the morning, so be sure to check back on the forum..I want to give a "Shout Out" to Rick and Kent for helping Me to make this happen, Thanks Guys...Hope to see everyone at the party, if not, at the race site Saturday morning, 9:00...
Old 03-17-2009, 09:13 PM

Default Hotel, Location to Race Site, etc..

Hey everyone, its me again, I have figure out how to use this forum, scary..to you Jayson, there is a place to stay after the race, Caribbean Court. this is the place that We will be holding the Trophy presentation and it is the finish line also...Google it...Vero Beach...google Cherie Downs, Cocoa Beach..If you can not find it, Rick does have a aerial photo of the Start site coming soon, and it will show more. I am getting emails about PAFB, and I have all the answers to give, but this why you need to attend the Skipper's Meeting Friday night or one hour before start on Saturday, which will be at 10:00, therefore the meeting will be at 9:00..Just to let you know, this Race is for experienced kiteboarder's and there will be no chase boat to help you, but all Lifeguards along the route are aware of the event.

Overall route of race, about 55 miles

Approximate starting line in area of:
Cherie Down Parks
8492 Ridgewood Ave, Cape Canaveral

[img][/img]
A view to the NE, may or may not have land wind shadow at this location depending on actual wind direction. Would be good to watchout for rotor and stalling kites on launch anyway.

Patrick AFB approximate 10 miles south of starting line. Aside from aircraft flying in and out, is there a real obvious landmark near the northern boundary that out of towners will easily remember and recognize from the water?

Sebastian Inlet, the only inlet crossed by the race

Approximate finish line in area of:
E Causeway Blvd & Highway A1a, Vero Beach, FL 32963 US

All the locations shown are approximations as I am not totally certain of your exact starting and stopping locations.

Approximate intervals between waypoints of race:

Start to Cocoa Beach Pier (stay 300 ft. away minimum) 1.7 miles
Pier to Patrick Air Force Base 7 miles
North to south distance along Patrick AFB 3.5 miles
Patrick to Sebastian Inlet 26 miles
Sebastian Inlet to finish 17 miles

Last edited by ricki; 03-18-2009 at 09:25 AM.