FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-09-2007, 11:19 PM

Default one word

I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh... "one word: carnage"
Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite-4-life View Post
I hate to be the one to ask, but what happened to everyone working together to create a sign/banding system to try to manage the rapid growth?
I think reality happened and many of us witnessed it.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Flaccid Member

Lightbulb

Well...I still haven't given up, but I don't know how much I can do alone. I will try to keep talking to those who will listen. I'm sure no one wants to be the one to get us banned from SW. I'm going to try to approach those experienced riders who do tricks recklessly close to the beach and see if they will just try to go a little further out. It is those of us who have ridden for awhile whom all the new people are emulating.
I'm sure I will not be the coolest one out there...I'm sure few will listen straight out. But I feel I have to do my best. I'm sure if/when we do get banned from SW, at least people will take it more seriously. I bet we will be on an even shorter rope at Lassing if everyone has to show up there.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:08 AM

Wolfie, Kite-4-Life...I'm with you. I love how people get on here and preach about whatever it is they feel is the bitch of the week. Then the next week they contradict themselves. You would think that the recent events at the Skyway would have made everyone more eager to get at least some informational signs up for everyone to go by. What I am trying to get across is if you don't mean it, don't post it.

Lets stick to our original objective(s) and get something constructive done in the way of making our launches as safe as possible for the public and our community of kiters...in a POSITIVE way.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 AM

Its taken only 1 week of semi-ridable wind for the smack talk BS crap to creep back on the forum. ugh.

From the beginning my initial concern was beginners at the Skyway launches.

The sign/rules/guidelines got thrown into the mix and while I think its still a great thing for us to have it was not my orignial concern.

Regarding some sort of ID, color tag, harness clip, etc.. I still would be willing to put effort into getting this done but only if its something that the local instructors are going to be 100% behind. Its their call. If even one of them is against it, then another system needs to be in place.

My vote is for whatever system our main local instructors come up with to keep the beaches as safe as possible. I will volunteer some hours to help out and thats all i can do. I think the topic has been talked through more than enough. It really has to fall back on the instructors to come together and get something in place. They are the only ones that have the ears of nearly every single new rider in our area. They have to be the ones to push whatever system they decide on.

I would say to start as simple as possible to see if it catches on.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-10-2007, 09:23 AM
popeye

Well, we spent a lot of time on this sign idea ... what 6 or 8 of us? We hashed out the sign, got approval from the rangers, got funded by both Rick and kite4life, even after some of the early participants disappeared from the thread entirely.

Now all we have to do is make the sign so the other 100 intermediate-advanced riders can safely ignore it...

Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 AM

ye of little faith.

hehe..

I was going to post more about this but I am done with this conversation.

I volunteer to help any instructor or whomever to get the tags and/or signs going. I just dont want to be caught up in defending why I think its a good idea or at least a positive start.

I will always be someone that will help others that look like they need help.. we should all be committed to doing that. New riders just want to share in the same thrill that we are all addicted to.. we all did some dumb ass stuff in our learning phases too..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 AM

i think a lot of our ideas are good ones, but will not be super easy to get implemented and will take some time.... in light of this i was trying to come up with a simple quick solution.....
my thoughts.....
to main riding areas of concern
-SW (N, NE, or E) and EB (E,SE, or S)
some of the main concerns
-to much congestion while trying to lauch and land
-riding/performing tricks to close to shore
a simple and quick remedy
collect a small amount of donations and purchase a dozen or so of the orange bouys with some sort of an anchor, hand them out to whomever is at the riding spots the most and ask them to just throw them out a 150ft or so when they arrive on a windy day (a day that lots of people will be riding)

then every one will see them and its pretty clear that its a no ride/trick zone, and most people arent going to get mad at you for saying, "excuse me, if you dont mind can you try your best to stay outside of the safety zone, thanx"

atleast you wont have people who respond, i didnt see a sign or people who forget to bring there tag, or those who go out and buy there own tag....

not to mention, i know i jump to close to shore a lot , but im not always fully aware that im doing it, im just having fun... the bright orange buoys would be a good reminder for people like me

my, hopefully helpful, two cents