FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM

Default Email alerts for wind conditions.. who would use it!??

I see that in my domain hosting I can create a mailing list. This would be something that folks would need to sign up for manually and then they could send an email to the default mailing list and it would blast it out to all members.

As many of us have email capable phones I figure technology can work for us in helping keep riders aware of current conditions....

Would you be up for this? I'd pony up the 9.95$ per year to buy a domain (tampawindalert.com or something) and manage the list.. but only if people would sign up and use it.

anyone?

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Id use it but you still run into the same problem of having to have people access it and send out an accurate report of the conditions.... I think you would still need a internet capable phone, so why not just use the site here as it is frequented by most of us? Are you going to be the only one able to send the alerts?
Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM

I like the idea, I definitely think you should try to go through with it!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:53 PM

Bryan-

I would use it. I know Steve S. is trying to come up with something as well. Regardless of what it is - if most of the community in Tampa uses it -I am in. I ride mainly with the crew at Sunset Beach and we are always emailing each other the conditions over there. If something similar could be achieved on a wider scale for all the spots around here - I would definitely use it.

Tonh
Old 09-22-2009, 06:53 PM

Default lets all keep thinking

this is a good thread with a lot of good ideas. bryan i liked your idea and would contribute whatever is necessary. however, there is no time limit on this thread so lets continue to banter this around till we come up with a good solution. good job to all!!!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiekanobie View Post
Id use it but you still run into the same problem of having to have people access it and send out an accurate report of the conditions.... I think you would still need a internet capable phone, so why not just use the site here as it is frequented by most of us? Are you going to be the only one able to send the alerts?
I believe what is being sought after here is this -

Enable multiple users to send & recieve wind reports via cell phone.

This might be worth a look. I sure would like to know, who's going to EB when or if it's good. It's a heck of drive just to see.

http://www.tweetfunnel.com/

http://www.diaryofareluctantblogger....izational.html

Last edited by jetpack; 09-22-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 PM

Default great idea

I am currently working on developing a website with these functions in mind. If you are familiar with Gulfster.com that will give you a good idea as to what im modeling it after. Except instead of being geared toward surfers it will be focused on kiters and wind driven sports in the Tampa Bay area. I am currently working on getting permission to install a live camera at EB that I think would be a huge help! I was going to wait to post about it until I got more developed but this thread seems like the perfect time for your input and suggestions! I look forward to hearing about what you all think and launching the site!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:09 PM

Default site up next week!

Just talked with my friend who is a web designer. We will have the site up by the beginning of next week. The template is going to be very user friendly and I think it will keep everyone from missing sessions or making long trips to the beach only to get skunked! Stay tuned for more info!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:39 AM

A live camera at EB would be awesome. Cams are the way to go, over sensors.

I think this approach is probably the easiest and most flexible/powerful in terms of communicating updates-

http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8676&page=4

It can be accessed by phone via text alerts, the web, and can also be linked to email, twitter, you name it. Easy sign up, etc. as well.

http://www.textmarks.com/WINDY

Through use of the share feature, it can easily be linked to almost anything, including gmail.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 AM

Default i am in!!

i joined and will participate. thanks, allen