FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 PM

I think part of the reason Hobie is such a clownshow is because nobody claims it as their "local" spot, so nobody feels the responsibility to enforce the rules. Matheson used to be pretty bad, but now their are people there who will literally blow a whistle at you if you ride through the bouys or jump too close to the shore. These people are there almost every windy day, and don't want to see their favorite spot get closed down. Hobie, on the other hand, is only rideable on a West or SouthWest, so everyone only goes there a few times a year.

Sorry, not much of a solution, but I guess just something to chew on.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:29 AM

I went to the cswy yesterday to check it out. On my why, i noticed that there were 4 riders that rigged just to the west of sailboards Miami (the windsurf truck). I stopped by and let them know that we really don't kite in this area and that Hobie was better anyway. The guys were really cool and were from the Mead St. area and didn't know. I'm sure next time they will ride at Hobie.

I got to Hobie to check it out. I must say that nearly everyone was kiting on the outside sand bar. I couldn't believe it. There were 1 or 2 people teaching, but at least one of the instructors took their student well away from the others and it was obvious that the guy had some riding experience. There were only really 2 guys f'ing up on the inside, but compared to normal it was very good.

I think that the main reason for the behavior change had more to do with the wind being mainly from the South and not the SW. At any rate, maybe we will be able to keep this place open.

If we don't want to end up like Ft. Lauderdale, please take the time to police your own beach. If you see someone doing something that is not acceptable, just let them know nicely. The guys from Hollywood were totally cool and just didn't know.

It looked like a killer day out there.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for the update Kent and way to go guys! There are so few uncontested launches left, we need to step up to tactfully protect them as effectively as we can. I was even thinking of bringing Laura down for some windsurfing across the causeway. I thought somebody might get taken away in an ambulance, send kites into traffic or worse in the squalls associated with the front/SW winds at Hobie. Seeing a fat wad of guys ripping inside the buoys, around bathers and up to the cars would be depressing given what has already happened there. I blew off coming down largely on the basis of that alone. I am relieved to hear about what you saw. Sounds like progress, keep it going guys and thanks.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi