FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Skyway Scott

Default Seabreeze

is on. Someone nail it
Old 04-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Seabreeze

Scott-

Hope all is well. I am Roy's friend the just bought the RRD. I met you at Skyway a few weeks ago. Question for you -what is the best indicator of a potential sea breeze? No wind out of the east during the day? We thought it would blow yesterday evening - went to pasa grill and it was dead. Am I going to the wrong coast line? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks -

Tony
Old 04-03-2007, 02:16 PM
invisible

Cool morning with light east breeze... gets hot fast, falls to zero at noon and then switches west hard by 1:30 (will not usually show the west on the skyway sensor). If it's not blowing by 3:00 it's not gonna blow from the west. If you read 10 from the south west, ignore it, it's a trap.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:53 PM

Hey Scott,

What sensor(s), if any, are you using to see if the sea breeze turns on?

cheers,

Chris
Old 04-03-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Seabreeze

Invisible-

Thanks for the insight. Have a great day.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Flaccid Member

Thumbs down

I was just out in time to see a seabreeze just start at Picnic Island at 3:45. Saw it go from nothing to 15Knts in 5 minutes. Got my kite out started pumping and suddenly noticed I had forgot my Harness. It is a very sad day!...but at least they are starting. A little late I thought though.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Skyway Scott

I had a fairly detailed post on Tom's old site.

This year is beyond weird, and none of the "rules" to anything seem to apply.
But in a nutshell. High pressure is a biggie. Once that Hi gets to the east coast... ugh....low chance.

The signs: (This is for PaG... I don't know CLW as well)
The best predictor of a seabreeze is one happening the day before. They tend to happen in groups of 3 days.
If one happened yesterday, add 50 minutes to today's guess and pray. Oddly, the tides do affect our beach seabreeze.

Some signs:

Morning starting off at ENE or NE at 12 or better is a good sign. Then, if the wind goes to zero at the SW, I start looking at the baynews9.com cam. There are NO sensors that will help you with the actual seabreeze. They are all 2 hours late. Seabreezes (in general) last 3 hours, so it's Johnny on the spot type stuff.

It's a dynamic prediction process, kind of a dichotomous key (if you have ever used one). One satisfactory result leads to hoping for another.

In general, I hope for a seabreeze the day before, look for E in the morning, pray for zero knots at the SW sensor (which has been broken and reading zero alot) and when it hits zero, I watch the beach cam for whitecaps. Don't wait for the SW sensor to show wind. I can't tell you how many times I have called and told guys it is cranking at the beach, only to hear "the SW says zero". I know, I say... that's the point. By the time the SW shows wind, you have missed an hour and a half of beach wind.
When it caps on the sensor (back in my poker from home days) I "folded and bolted" to the beach. I commonly just left the house when the SW read zero, if it blew the day before, knowing my odds were good.

Hope that helps. This year has been a joke of a seabreeze season, so far.
Maybe April will hit?

Oh, then you have days it blows NW real good at Picnic or Cypress and not the beach. It's pretty weird stuff.

If I get "a feeling" I will start posting guesses, as long as you guys don't hold me responsible if I mess up.
I had a very good record of prediction the last couple years (it's true, not bragging) but this year, I wouldn't bet a single dollar on any of my predictions... it's a weird year.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Skyway Scott

Oh yeah, NW is a seabreeze, SW is a trap!! Like Tom said.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:25 PM

...thanks Scott....appreciate it!!

Chris
Old 04-03-2007, 04:29 PM

...played Johnny-on-the-spot yesterday to no avail. came up to 12 or so at it's max....enough to set up, but didn't bother to launch...didn't feel like packing up a wet kite...or me

....looks like I shoulda been there to day though....I know my avg. is right down there!!

Cheers,

Chris