FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-18-2018, 03:11 PM

Default Any ideas of how to fall safely off hydrofoil?

This year picked up hydrofoiling with a kite and have scoured every video imaginable. There is not one tutorial about how to safely get away from your foil when crashing. Recently, cut myself; that with 2 people I know of getting stitches and an eye injury made my think, there has to be more info out there…so, am requesting the collective experience an knowledge of this group to hopefully prevent some injuries.

Here is what I have found thus far. There is one roughly 30 minute video on hydro foiling SUPs in Hawaii. These guys had a bunch of good info on body stance. The takeaway was that one should not have a twin tip stance, but angle your front foot and place it off center it along with squaring your shoulders.

While riding I have done this, but also find that a twin tip stance seems to be quite comfortable especially when in shallow water and launching initially trying to angle the mast a bit to avoid running aground. Additionally when I shift my front foot while in the angled stance I seem to lose balance a bit more easily.

Most people say try to get away from the foil when crashing. I have tried by jumping off the board, but quickly became afraid that the added foot pressure on the board would send the foil going quickly in the direction it is on its way to crash.

I have falling forward over the front end and had the board catch up to me and hit me.

I have fallen forward over the right rail and had the wing cut me.

I have fallen backwards over left rail and luckily, not hit.

Can anyone help me and hopefully the rest of us with some good advice/pointers?

What do we do with our foot pressure? Do we bail each time it feels a tiny bit sketchy? Do we tuck and roll?, do we deliberately add foot pressure with some better understanding of how the foil will react? Do we try to add toe or heel pressure to slow the roll rate if we go over each rail? Do we try to redirect the foil while falling? Is the angled (squared shoulder) stance better than the twin tip stance?

Thanks all
Old 08-20-2018, 10:24 PM

Every time I fall from a foil board at full speed I pretty much pray for the least possible damage .

The point is to send it as far as possible, in, preferably, opposite direction.
Unfortunately, at those speeds, foil boards, when let go, tend to travel as they wish, usually exactly to the point where you are going to be... just my experience ...
It's pretty amazing, even when they jump with the foil and drop it in midair - it will end up exactly where you are going to touch water ...

After getting a "boxer" scar on my eyebrow, it is 100% helmet/impact vest/shatterproof glasses (for foiling) for me.
When crashing, try minimize possible damage - if you can, cover you head/face with your arms, tuck your feet in, etc.
Also, when crashing at speed, try to "duck" the board's nose into the water - it will stop and stay stationary that way.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I am a newbie at foiling myself, taking time off from learning to heal other injuries so as not to make them worse learning to foil? I would pick "more ideal" conditions to train in in terms of wind range vs. kite size & direction, absence of waves or chop. In short make it easier for yourself to hopefully reduce the quantity and violence of wipeouts. Avoid areas with sandbars or other sudden shallows to strike or times of heavy seaweed. Pick a good learner foil, some are more forgiving of early skill development than others also the foils may be more cut-prone in some that others.

Regarding protective gear, a good helmet, impact vest make sense, perhaps gloves too. I bought some soccer shin guards to reduce shredding the skin over my shins when I was thrown over the edge of the board. I grew tired of slicing that area up. One very experienced foiler even started wearing Dyneema socks, to reduce the odds of foot lacerations on the foil. https://www.getfyf.com/products/fyf

Other suggestions out there? Also, tell me again why we foil because ... ? (just kidding)

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-22-2018, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I put a request out on Facebook. Here are some of the responses starting with Nick:

"Nick O'Bea Go down with the ship. Don't jump away, it'll load and pop the board. Try to have the board stay on your feet when you crash and if you can get a surf wing, it'll prevent the tamahawk effect. The impulse wings just come to the surface and then sink back down. I wrote an instructional at https://kitehouseinstruction.wordpress.com/

Ty Luckett So you are saying foot straps, to stay with the board?

Nick O'Bea Yes at least the front strap. I need to up date the lesson since the surf foils came out. If you're on a impulse, onda, H4 style wings. You need the rear foot to be in front of the mast so just keep the front strap. High lift wings require more front foot pressure. Regular stance is way too far apart to ride comfortable

Nick O'Bea Keep strap lose enough to come out easily, you should be able to wedge your foot to the innner side of the front strap

Ty Luckett Nick O'Bea Good advice

Ty Luckett Nick O'Bea I had a student that brought his own board the other day that was strapless. And he had a hard time manipulating the board for water start. However Once he got going he was good. We’re talking about putting on the front strap which was not on the boat at the time

Nick O'Bea Front strap gives now control and sets a starting point for foot placement

Nick O'Bea He's going great. Front strap will help for the falls. Single strap in center to begin with. Make sure both hands stay on the bar to keep from going up wind too much in the beginning"

Discussion at https://tinyurl.com/yayggpta

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-22-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Some additional input:

"Al Power If you ride with a strap, keep it nice and loose. It’s very easy to fall in the opposite direction of the board, and if you are locked in a broken ankle will result. As far as falling just fall down wind, in the direction of the kite, the kite will pull you away from the board, which you should do with or without a strap. And I would say bail as soon as you know you are going to fall, get clear of the board and nothing bad can happen."

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi