FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 11-07-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Out of towner...looking for local knowledge

Hello Tampa / St. Pete kiters! I'll be in your area from Nov. 16-27th for a wedding. I'm from Seattle and have been to Tampa / St. Pete many times but have not kited there yet. I'd really appreciate any and all advice. I'm staying in St. Pete Beach and will have a car. I've been riding for 2 years and am a competent rider. Looking for flat water first, waves second. If I bring 2 kites, what sizes should I bring (I have a 9m Fuel, 13m Fuel and 16m Rhino)? Where should I go? Where should I not go? Do you have a link on your forum with beach info? What wind directions work with which beaches? I hear kiting is very popular right next to the skyway. What is the best website for checking the wind?

I know this is a lot of questions so I appreciate any feedback I get. If any of you visits Seattle, I'll return the favor with local knowledge.

Thanks!

Ryan Murray
Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Skyway Scott

Ryan,

I would post on here in the let's ride section the night before you want to ride.
That night, enough of us ride that we can give you advice and ride with you the next day at agreed upon spot (s).

Looking forward to riding with you
I would try to bring all 3, but if only 2, I think the smaller two.

Scott
Old 11-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Thanks, Scott! I'll check the forum for info the day / night before riding. I found this link http://www.epickitesurfing.com/tamaplaunch.html on a "Where not to ride" sticky on this forum. Looks like a lot of great info on your kite beaches. North Skyway looks ridiculous....flattest kiteable water I think I've ever seen. I'd love to ride there. Hopefully we can hook up! Looking forward to meeting some of you guys later this month.

How many days a week do you get rideable wind in Tampa / St. Pete?

-Ryan
Old 11-07-2007, 12:01 PM

it really depends.. we get a front thru and it can be 4 or 5 days in a row.. sometimes its just these morning sessions that drop off before 10 or 11 am..

if you are here for 10 days.. it would be reasonable to think you could kite 5 of them.. possibly more if you are skilled at lighter wind riding..

those that have the schedules that allow can find wind almost daily these days.. seems like every days lately has had some ridable conditions at select times..

north skyway and a few other spots in the area are amazing on NE

tho nothing compares to ft. desoto east beach on an epic S-SW afternoon.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 11-07-2007, 12:08 PM

also.. check this out.. i think chris made this a while back.. good info and map gives you good views of locations..

http://tinyurl.com/284jfa

Old 11-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Tom Stock

And some videos of the locals riding:

http://www.floridakiteboarder.com

We really have some great riding spots in almost every wind direction... you are going to have a good time. If you can do a down winder with someone (you'll need wind with some west in it) I high recommend it. But if it's flat water you are after, I can guarantee without a doubt that you will be able to find flat water in just about any direction, but check here to make sure you go to the right spot (most are near the skyway / ft. desoto). Bring a wetsuit, it's starting to get a little cold down here, although I am still riding without one.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:50 PM

tom failed to mention his skin is thicker than most 5mm wetsuits.

most humans would recommend a wet suit.

i could also insert a joke or two here regarding cold water and shrinkage and certain peoples love there-of.., but that probably only result in E-Bone coming out of the woodworks to make some vulgar comments..

for shame.

beware the mangroves.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the heads up on wetsuits. I'm assuming a 2mm shorty will be enough. Water temps in Seattle's Puget Sound are about 47-50 right now! Air temps 35-55. Relative to Seattle it's balmy down there. Did somebody say shrinkage?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Skyway Scott

This is the time of year everything usually changes in a period of 2 to 3 weeks. Water temps could easily drop down to around 62 or even less, depending on how cold and strong the winds are with the next couple of fronts.
If you are riding on a day that the front passes through, it could start off that day at 65 degrees and end up 50 degrees by sunset.
If you are use to that, no biggie. Most people need a pretty reasonable full wetsuit, starting real soon. I don't think a 2mm shortie is going to work, even for a Northener .
Then again, maybe you are laughing at my idea of cold (?).
Old 11-07-2007, 07:56 PM

lake magorie off 9th street iz nice
also riviera bay iz nice
4 landboarding try i275 and 54th ave north i think it iz.
most of us wear speedoze and swimming gogles
peace