FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:56 PM

Ahhh, Triton, Wa’ppun rude bwoy?

Gang,

Why yu fe galang so with de tek smadi mek poppy-show? I no come to hear about how horse dead an' cow fat!

Everyting Crash, come bad in de morning can't come good a evenin'

More time!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Irony

I find it funny that WSW is selling Best now. As most of you seasoned guys know, Randy use to promote Slingshot for WSW through his lessons and probably was the best word of mouth advertising for WSW. I find it ironic that when Randy decided to Rep. Best, that Steve at WSW flipped and cut all ties with Randy. Now WSW is going to sell Best? See the irony?

Randy has spent just about 7 days a week for the last several months (wind or no wind) beating the sand and getting his little operation going. I think WSW should have tried to discuss their decision with him, just like Randy did when he made his decision. They have known him for years. Big or small, Randy is still a local kite shop. I’ve read and also listened to the reps at WSW say, “support your local shop.” Maybe its time to practice what is preached?

This is not at all a stab at Steve O or John. They are both very cool guys.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:43 PM

Let me "Jump" into the fray! First, help with that Waroo. I had the leading edge seam in destruct mode on both sides of my '06 14m. I restitched with fishing line and sealed with sail tape. I can hear the cringing, but that was over a month ago and a few good high speed whacks into the water with that leading edge. The kite performs like new and the repair is perfect. I recently had a bridle failure on the same kite. I saw that the wear area was about 1.5 inches, so I tried tying a knot at the failure point and doing the same on the opposing side. Hey, I hear the cringing again. That was 2 weeks ago and many flights 10 feet off the water. Result, kite flies like new and bridle will not wear out again!

My approach is one of self sufficiency within reason. I know the risks involved and would not choose hospital bed over another day of riding.

My time in the sport is only 5 months. My thanks to everyone that have unselfishly given support and advice.

Personally, I question the BEST companies choice to trample the territory of an established dealer, but these are things better left to the pros to decide.

I am currently trying to support my local shop, but my kite has been on order for over 60 days! Seems all manufacturers are having trouble supporting their lines. The sport is not main stream enough yet to actually receive a product advertised worldwide in ones choice of color advertised worldwide!

No slams intended on anyone in our community, we're a pretty lucky bunch to have the riding areas and knowledge base so local. Safe Flying to all....
Old 06-05-2007, 05:31 AM
popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
I find it funny that WSW is selling Best now. As most of you seasoned guys know, Randy use to promote Slingshot for WSW through his lessons and probably was the best word of mouth advertising for WSW. I find it ironic that when Randy decided to Rep. Best, that Steve at WSW flipped and cut all ties with Randy. Now WSW is going to sell Best? See the irony?

Randy has spent just about 7 days a week for the last several months (wind or no wind) beating the sand and getting his little operation going. I think WSW should have tried to discuss their decision with him, just like Randy did when he made his decision. They have known him for years. Big or small, Randy is still a local kite shop. I’ve read and also listened to the reps at WSW say, “support your local shop.” Maybe its time to practice what is preached?

This is not at all a stab at Steve O or John. They are both very cool guys.
Amen... local is not only wsw.

Last edited by popeye; 06-05-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:03 PM

I can understand Both sides of the story. I own A Scuba Manufacturing Company and I understand how important it is to support your local shop. They can help you out with warranty issues and items you might need ASAP.
However I too have had bad expieriences with WSW. Granted it has been awhile since I have been there and shops/people can change. The first time I went to WSW about 3 years ago, I was trying to get info on the sport how to get strated ect. and I was grilled about having lessons first, Before they would even show me any equipment or give me the time of day. So that put a bad taste in my mouth. Also when I was looking to purchase gear, WSW seemed way over priced.

I have been Kiteboarding now about 2 years w/ 1 year off due to a knee injury. A couple of months ago I went into WSW Just to check out The new Undergrounds and equipment. I was greeted by a younger guy who was very helpfull and didn't grill me about how many lessons I've had and who I took them from. He was very nice and took the time to answer all of my questions.
He did alot for the way I see WSW.

I also Found out that WSW has some Used Gear a Pretty good prices for those who can't afford brand new gear.

Any way my point is I will give WSW another shot and others should think about doing the same, Maybe they have their shit together now.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:15 PM

Also,

A Good Shop, SHOULD Fix your equipment Or help You out any way they can
REGARDLESS of who you bought your kite from.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:42 PM

Good to see that its getting back to normal around here....

I wish that Skyway sensor worked as well as your guys edit/delete buttons.(Just kidding) but if youre gonna delete it, dont bother saying it.

My intentions were not to hurt anyone's feelings here, but please remember that if you insult me or post my business on here, its game on.... My posts are usually made in a joking manner, and should be taken as such. If you can't handle a good ribbing, the maybe you should not read my posts. If you still get your feelings hurt, I will buy you a box of Kleenex.....

Congrats to Matt Sexton and the Eckerd crew for completing their I.K.O. Instructors Course. That makes about 15 certified instructors in this area now.
Later
Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Wow

I never expected my initial thread to spark such emotions. I think it is incredible we have such strong feelings about our sport on and off the water....it truly shows our passion and dedication to one of the best sports in the world. How exciting to be a part of it....it has truly saved my life.

My only response to all that I have read is how folks tend to bend words around. We all know that misinterpretations happen on here all the time. I would like to address the comment that I have stated "support your local shop". I have checked all of my threads and post and I clearly state "thank you for supporting your local shop." The first is a demand or request while the latter is a simple thank you.

So yes thank you for choosing to do business with us. These days you have more choices than ever for your kiting needs, and we are certainly not the best, but we are working hard every day to get better at what we do. We want to support the local kiting scene, sponsor events, help create new opportunities (Eckerd) and get the latest gear on the water. As I have said in the past, tell us want you want, and we will try to get it. We are working to stock parts for Waroos as we speak to avoid nightmare's like Sean's.

I sincerely appreciate all of your support. I am the new guy and have always felt welcomed into the brotherhood. I think Scott said this to me one day amongst some of our talks....."You can't dwell on the past, you can only focus on the future". That might be a good lesson to us all.

Steve-O
Old 06-05-2007, 09:02 PM

I wish my kitchen would have gotten that much attention....damn thing looks great and my wifes happy.

Maybe I should post more pictures of it and some more family photos as well while I'm at it...
Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Skyway Scott

I think what generated a lot of "feeling" in this thread is the fact that Randy and his shop were overlooked when announcing the Best demos. It seems to many that he demos the stuff every day. It may have been an oversight.

Even after several people have voiced that WSW is not the only shop in town (and especially for Best kites), you (Steve-O) consistently thank us for shopping at our local shop (singular). You actually consistently call it "the local shop". Seems like you have missed the point. We presently have more than one shop in town. In the future I can guarantee you the numbers will increase locally.

Anyway, Randy isn't much of a forum guy. He is in the process of getting a website up so that oversights like this will be less likely in the future.

Here is a link to show that he actually sells Best products and is recognized by them until his site is done. He is third down on the list. Lists are definitely weird, someone is always left off. Probably an oversight.

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/s.nl...pe.SS/SS.47/.f

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 06-07-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Closed Thread