FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-07-2008, 07:59 PM

scott if your to leeward you have right of way all the way until you point so high upwind that you make the windward rider alter course. if you are pointing higher than him and would like to become the windward rider you must get there in a fashion that doesn't cause him to alter course, thats at least how it works in sailing when a boat is pointing as high into the wind as it can.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:44 AM

Default Right of Way - Clarificzation?

Guys - Here's what a very popular kiteboarding instructional video says about right of way. Is this consistent with what you guys are saying?

1. When 2 riders are riding in the same direction, the downwind rider has the right of way (this makes sense because he/she can't see the upwind rider as well as the upwind rider can see the downwind rider).

2. When 2 riders are approaching one another in opposite directions, the rider with his/her right foot forward has the right of way (this presumes, of course, that neither is riding toeside).

These 2 rules are pretty simple and easy to understand, even for those riders without a sailing background. I think they are consistent with what you guys are saying, but if not, we should be concerned about conflicting "rules" being taught by various instructors.

Jim

PS - Today (Saturday), I'm sitting this one out. Had nice wind yesterday on the east coast, maybe some more tomorrow. But gusts to 40 are a bit much for me....be safe and use good judgment!!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:45 AM

i think the one element in this is what to do when a situation arises that the proper right of way is not given..

this happens a lot.. typically its no big deal and .. in fact i give right of way more often than i should (per the rule).. if i see a possible ROW situation coming up I'll just veer off or jump and situation is gone.

if you can avoid a situation its for the best.. in the initial post regarding the situation he was in.. wouldnt it have just been best to tack and avoid the trouble? i know that this is not always possible.. but usually it is.

also make note of those that dont give ROW properly.. if nothing else, just to steer clear.

new riders might have all the best intentions but they are more concerned about staying up and riding than looking ahead 10 seconds to avoid situataions..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 03-08-2008, 11:40 AM

Maybe we should also put in a little tidbit about the Starboard (or Port, whatever the majority wants) tacking rider being the only one having the option to jump in this situation? Could be messy if BOTH tried to jump at the last minute to avoid a situation...just a thought.