FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-01-2007, 06:23 PM
stpetesal

Default New guy

Hi, I am new to the sport but will get up, I can use any advise that anyone can give…I liive in the Passadena area, not far from Treasure Island I have had one lesson from a friend out west and taking things slow…I have all my gear, can self launch, water drag (still need more practice) I went to OWC one time and got up on the board, and a friend has taking me one time behind his boat, never wakeboarded before so I still need practice…If anyone has a boat and is close I will gladly pay for gas….Has anyone been to Cape Hatteras for the three day lesson and if so how would you rate it? I am 42 and am trying to get into this the correct way, taking it slow….if I was back in my 20’s I would have been in trees or the power lines….don’t want to do that
Old 08-01-2007, 07:49 PM

If your lookin for another lesson hit up Matt Sexton at Triton kiteboarding 203-918-6637
Old 08-01-2007, 07:55 PM

Talking new guy

pick your place and pick your time, if you don't feel good,don't go, my worst time was being overpowered in hi traffic,,,say i'm not affraid! you will be. get a lesson or 2,,good luck
Old 08-01-2007, 09:20 PM
E-Bone

For the money, I would go to OWC from several days straight versus going to OBX. We'll have wind here in a few months. When it shows up, you want board skillz. It's eazier to fly the kite with the board solidly under you.

Instead of blowing big $$$ going to OBX, spend about $30 - $40 per day at OWC (for which you can ride all day), bring your kiteboard and ride it, if you don't have a kiteboard, rent a demo at the pro shop once you start getting up on the free boards. Try a wakeskate. Experiment and get some free advice from the dudez who run the cables. Stay off of the sliders until you progress to at least intermediate board skillz. You can lose teeth on those bitches (I've seen it) or thrash your body eating shit (I've done it).

Crash at a friend'z house in Whorelando each night. If you don't know anyone in Whorelando, rent a sleazy room for about $30.00 a night near OWC, you'll be wiped out and won't even be bothered by the fighting in the parking lot.

I struggled with kiting, even after a full camp in OBX. A month later, I went to OWC 5 times over the course of a week, then went out and kited Matanzas Inlet my very next sesh. OWC is a great resource to have and the two hour drive is easier than 16 hours to OBX.

Try to go to OWC several days in a row so you can build on each day's progress. Your arms will be sore, but it is worth the effort for the board skillz. It's also much less painful to eat crap on the cable than behind a boat.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
stpetesal

Default Thanks....

Thanks very much for the info, I did the wrong thing and bought all new stuff, but what the hell, I have a Spleene 154 and I think it is very good for a beginner. ( although I don’t know much) an 8.5, 12, and a 15M Atom…. I have to work a lot and have the house so I cant go as much as I would like. I hope to have it all dialled in by the winter….Going to go to OWC Tues.…
Old 08-02-2007, 09:21 PM
stpetesal

Default Sliders?

The girl behind the counter by the food stand said that you should start with the board with no fins? Is that the slider?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:31 PM

The slider is the pipe that you ride over on the board, you want to take the fins off if you're going to be hitting some kickers or sliders so you don't catch a fin and bust your ass. For that big board that you're on, just borrow one of the OWC boards so it'll be smaller and easier to use. You're sort of in the off season but if you hook up with Matt, he'll get you going in the right direction. His club is always going to OWC.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpetesal View Post
Thanks very much for the info, I did the wrong thing and bought all new stuff, but what the hell, I have a Spleene 154 and I think it is very good for a beginner. ( although I don’t know much) an 8.5, 12, and a 15M Atom…. I have to work a lot and have the house so I cant go as much as I would like. I hope to have it all dialled in by the winter….Going to go to OWC Tues.…
You should do great with that gear. The Spleene 54 Door is IMO THE best board for a beginner (or even great for experts)...and it will not limit your abilities.

I have one and ride it all the time...while most other people sit on the beach.

With that board and those kites you should be able to ride in 10 to 30 knots, depending on your weight, skill level, etc.

Good luck with everything
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas