FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-06-2007, 03:00 PM
invisible

Default Ignore the sensor, it is really blowing...

Sensor is FUBAR. It is blowing like crazy... white caps everywhere.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Skyway Scott

YEP!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Skyway Scott

Any reports? How was it?

PaG was windy, but exceptionally gusty. I have a gut feeling that up north (IRB or further) was probably 20+ and more steady.

PaG was literally 11 to 25. Not non-stop gusty and all over, but lots of holes in it, and basically 14 to 20, is what I think was going on.
Better than not riding though. A traditional (2003) C-kite would have been a total nightmare.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:54 PM
invisible

backside 25+, crazy gusty except across the channel. Boosting huge, having fun. A *TON* of beginners. Very difficult to stay clear without going off on your own somewhere.

Saw someone (beginner) get the dreaded waroo deal spiral on a waroo 15 (in 25+)... 15 loops and counting heading for the trees. Kite ended up the in the trees, rider and kite ok. Lucky I headed over there to make sure and then rode back over to get Randy since I would also have to ditch my kite into the trees to help (and the rider was not hurt so not necessary).

otherwise a good time.

Heads up though, not sure if anyone noticed the big huge hunk of steel in the water with the two 3 foot long steel rods pointing up from it? I saw Colin jumping a lot going down wind at mach 3 right AT IT. that thing will KILL YOU if you hit it. I am not kidding. if you crash into it you will die.... no joke no exaggeration!!!

Good times. Jason was doing some nice unhooked kiteloop transitions when I left.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Skyway Scott

Beginners in 25, on 15's, upwind of trees in really gusty winds... good idea?

Did you hit a 30 foot jump, you think?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:26 PM
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
Beginners in 25, on 15's, upwind of trees in really gusty winds... great
Oh well... that's why you just go upwind.

Did you hit a 30 foot jump, you think?
I am pretty sure I did, but someone else will have to say since they always feel higher than they are.
(shortened version)

backside is a sketchy place to ride, especially for beginners. BE CAREFUL. I had a few close calls today, one self inflicted and somewhat embarrassing. In one case I did a small jumping transition near shore (i know don't say it) and it gusted just as I was diving my kite. Yanked me right out of my straps and I landed on my face in the mud. Duh. That was dumb.

Anyway, it was a good time but typical BS.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
I am pretty sure I did, but someone else will have to say since they always feel higher than they are.
(shortened version)

backside is a sketchy place to ride, especially for beginners. BE CAREFUL. I had a few close calls today, one self inflicted and somewhat embarrassing. In one case I did a small jumping transition near shore (i know don't say it) and it gusted just as I was diving my kite. Yanked me right out of my straps and I landed on my face in the mud. Duh. That was dumb.

Anyway, it was a good time but typical BS.
I am absoutely AMAZED that someone is giving lessons there , which only encourages beginners to ride in one of the sketchiest spots in the area. I tell my students not to even consider it.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 04-06-2007, 10:25 PM

North report. Wind was clean most of the day. Up and down but gradually. An hour before sunset it got nutty. Wind was drillin at a solid 20+knots. Riding 3-rooker on the inside is something special. Super flat water and just pure speed. Saw some sharks and turtles today too. A bonus. Well the turtle anyway.

I have only taught one lesson on the backside and plan to keep it that way. I agree with everyone that is just not the place to do a lesson. I can't believe beginners would attempt today's winds. That is just senseless. That's like getting certified to dive and the next day doing a 150ft dive into a cave. People are gonna do what they want to do. Sad reality.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:07 AM
invisible

Well, I think the shallow water is sort of deceptive. It *is* easier to do a lesson in the shallow water, far out, so I understand why some instructors choose that spot as a location.

I do agree though that it is a dangerous spot, especially for beginners.

BUT... if I had to choose between backside and a crowded beach for a beginner, I would vote for backside. I would much rather see a kiteboarder get hurt at backside doing something stupid, than see a 5yr old kid on the beach get hurt or killed and have kiting banned from the beaches.

Nothing we can do though but sit back and wait, and hope it happens somewhere with the least impact to everyone. With the high availability of instructors recently, we are looking at a large number of new riders every month.

My suggestion for beginners in west winds is always big beach ft. desoto. No people, no swimmers, and no dangerous obstacles on the beach.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:11 AM

It was definitely an obstacle course. More kites in the water than the air at times.