FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 AM

Your idea is exactly what I was thinking would be the best way to advertise.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:44 PM

How about some flyers or a Facebook event page? (I don't think the rangers will go for signage on park property for something that's happening at Skyway.) I'm not trying to be a party poopster, but they have rules to follow.
I think we're going to pass on the refresher clinic until we get more instructor support.
One problem that's always prevented more meetings, events, cleanups, and *fun stuff* around here is simply not knowing if there's going to be 5, 10, or 100 people show up. Many, many things have gone by the wayside for this reason-There's zero communication among kiters and that needs to change.
I will make an effort to re-launch the "TBKA" site soon, which will hopefully improve the communication, participation, and kick up the stoke meter a few notches.
There's some pretty sweet tech stuff on there that will need further testing, but the framework is there and ready to rock.
I will try to get it updated this week and I'll post a link when it's ready.
Anyone who was testing the previous versions will have to re-register- sorry 'bout dat....I'm a newbie
Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 PM
tog0713

Default Got to Start Somewhere.....

Have not put up signs at EB as yet because we haven''t had any wind that would send kiters there. If we get anything on Friday, I'll put up the signs. Regardless of success of swap on Saturday, I think its worthwhile to hold one in the hope that it will grow from year to year. The ones we held in Chicago with a smaller kiting community than in Tampa Bay proved to be very successful. Over time I can see no reason while one would not work even better in Tampa Bay...

Regards,
Tim
Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 AM

Sounds good. I'll be there with grill in tow. I'll have a few burgers, condiments and a table. Bring whatever you want to cook or eat.
My shade tents have seen their last day, so if anybody has one, please bring it.

I did have some positive feedback from 2 of the S. county instructors on a clinic, so we'll try to do one soon.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:31 PM

Slight issue with the grill- it won't fit in my van
It will be in Maximo (next door to my old house) which is on the Bayway.
If anyone has a truck and wants to pick it up, I'll meet you there.

Otherwise, we'll do pizza & wings or ???.

Steve (813) 389-3683
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com
Old 11-27-2010, 02:09 PM
tog0713

Default Swap Meet Saturday 11.27 @ Skyway @ 10:00

Posted three swap meet signs at EB on Friday when a few kiters were going out. Have to say for a first time the swap turned out OK. I went there with not intention of buying anything and scored a Flysurfer Speed 2 at a decent price.

Hope this marks the beginning of an annual swap to be held at the Skyway the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Although, if anyone feels we should move it to another day early in the season, I'm open to the idea. After thinking about this a bit I realize lots of folks go away over Thanksgiving weekend. Maybe we should do it the Saturday BEFORE Thanksgiving next year.

Comments welcome...

Regards,
Tim
Old 11-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Good turnout for a first run- thanks for making it happen Tim!
It was cool to see some of the stuff others had, and there's definitely some great deals out there on older model kites/ boards. A lot of things are still available too, so we should do another one later this season.

I scored on a nice pair of wakeskate shoes, (which I was going to start looking for soon anyway) so I am quite happy with how it all worked out. I sold an old leash I had for 16 bux, and gave up the 16.00 for the shoes 10 minutes later! Schweet!

I also got another box full of 1 pump bladders that people can dig thru and grab what they need. (Some are good, other need valves replaced.)
Hit me up if you need any of them.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 AM
tog0713

Default Another Swap????

Am open for doing another Swap Meet later in the year. Would happily post signs again. Perhaps we should do one when the college kids are attending classes again. Any thoughts on a good weekend appreciated...

Regards,
Tim
Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM

I think we should shoot for one day a month to get together for a cookout, cleanup, event, clinic, or whatever. There's a ton of things we could, (and should) be doing!

Tim, I sent ya a PM with some ideas. Thanks again for providing the motivation to make it happen!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 AM

Default Swapn'!

Glad the first swap was a success....I like the idea of our kite community getting together to swap gear and to build the community at times when there might not even be wind. Last spring we had some success with 'Kite Night' at a local beach bar that we ran a few times.

Along these lines I will be announcing an event this spring at East Beach that will hopefully combine all of these things.....wind, gear swap,demos, hanging out, and what seems to be most important, grilling! More info soon!