FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-19-2006, 08:57 AM

Default STOP THIEF!

THERE WAS A GREAT IDEA POSTED IN THE 'HELP FOR A FRIEND' FORUM.

IT SAID THAT KITERS SHOULD WRITE DOWN THEIR SERIAL #S AND/OR WRITE THEIR NAMES IN THEIR KITES!

I DONT KNOW ABOUT ANYONE ELSE, BUT MY KITESURF INSTRUCTOR NEVER TOLD ME THAT!

GREAT IDEA FLYHARDFLL! THANKS!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: STOP THIEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDSTAR
THERE WAS A GREAT IDEA POSTED IN THE 'HELP FOR A FRIEND' FORUM.

IT SAID THAT KITERS SHOULD WRITE DOWN THEIR SERIAL #S AND/OR WRITE THEIR NAMES IN THEIR KITES!

I DONT KNOW ABOUT ANYONE ELSE, BUT MY KITESURF INSTRUCTOR NEVER TOLD ME THAT!

GREAT IDEA FLYHARDFLL! THANKS!
I was thinking the same thing and you beat me to it Windstar.

What other ideas do folks have for trying to avoid theft at your launch?

Aside from some stoned aged trust baby almost running off with a long directional board years back, (I ran the butt head down and got it back), I haven't had too much trouble to date.

I try not to leave kites, rigged or otherwise unattended on the beach. If I must I try to find someone to leave the gear by after asking if they wouldn't mind keeping an eye on it until I get back (usually less than 30 minutes). If I do have to leave a kite for a short time, I detach both lines from one side of the well anchored kite (to avoid having the bar fly the kite if a gust or some passer by picks it up).

Lots of guys label both kites and boards with names and phone numbers.

I ride late fairly regularly. So, I try to stash my gear back w/pumps, etc. in the dunes to keep them out of clear view.

If I lose a board and am offshore, I note a landmark dead ashore and estimate the direction of drift. I then work in, get to some higher ground and scan the area until the board shows up. Side shore wind days, plan B?

What else do folks do out there?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-19-2006, 09:22 PM

I tried to scratch my name on my board by riding over an oyster bed several times, but a sharpie works a little better. My Glide has a serial # engraved into the tail of the board. How about engraving/writing your name/phone # under the footpads?
Write your name/phone on your kite with a sharpie also.You could actually write it on the bladder(wingtip) and roll it back up.Easy to check if you ever needed to, and not obvious to a theif....Gee, how'd THAT get there??????(haha)
It is concievable that we could establish a new standard in the sale of used gear if we ALL demanded it. We are the consumers, and we don't want to buy stolen products, right? Prove it with the #'s, sellers...

If you find gear on the beach/water, make sure to find the owner, or one of their riding buddies to give it to. Do NOT leave the gear unattended and assume that someone else will take care of it.Let everyone know that you're going to take it home and post it on the forum ASAP, if you have to, just dont leave it.
If you are the last to leave your spot, take the extra few minutes to scan the beach for gear/trash left behind.