FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Events
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Default TBKM 2009 is on

The 2009 Tampa Bay Kite Masters ("The Rayley Grace Kite Race") is on!!!
Kickoff Party is at Watersport West on Feb 28th at 6:00 pm. The official start day of the race is on March 1st, wind permitting.

The Tampa Bay Kite Masters and Watersports West have planned to do a charity race. Julie and Jayson Orkins delivered Rayley Grace Orkins at 4 months premature and weighing in just over one pound at birth. It is a miracle that Rayley Grace Orkins is still with us after all that she endured from getting pneumonia and almost losing her a few times, but due to the efforts of the Neonatal Intensive Care (NICU) staff at All Children’s Hospital she is still with us today. After reading this article in the St. Pete Times, (http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/article944606.ece) we see that they could really use some help. That’s why we will donate all proceeds to the All Children’s Hospital as a thank you for saving Rayley. The winner of the Tampa Bay Kite Masters will be assisting us in presenting the check to All Children’s Hospital.

We will be holding the race this year in any wind direction so it might be a Gulf run from Sand Key to Caddy's or a Bay run from Gandy to the Skyway. This run could also happen in reverse since we are fortunate that we can ride on any wind direction. We are looking for at least 15 mph wind speed to hold the event; this is why it could happen on March 1st the day after the pre party.

The entry fee can be made via paypal from the tbkm.org website. The entry fee is $25.00 and for any donation above the entry fee will be recognized.
More details to come on Monday on http://www.tbkm.org, the official Tampa Bay Kite Masters website.

Thanks,
Jayson Orkins and Chris Moore
Old 02-01-2009, 02:04 PM

I am too new of a kiter for racing but I would be happy to pay the entry for the cause. Our thoughts are with Rayley's family. Will be looking for the site updates.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:04 AM

Thumbs up

I'm all in! Specially if its for a good cause.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:48 AM

sweet! I'm in on this one as well. Never been in a race b3fore but I know how to go fast!!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 AM

None of the links on TBKM.org are working, I can't figure out how to register..
Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 AM

Unhappy

I ran into a snag called work. I should have the links working tonight.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:28 PM

Web site and registration is open!!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 AM

Thumbs up

Chris,
I am excited to here that the 2009 Tampa Bay Kite masters Race is being organized once again. As with previous years I’m sure that your team will put together a fantastic event. I was more thrilled to hear that this year you will include a fundraiser that will benefit All Children’s Hospital. After reading the article you provided about the NIC unit at All Children’s and knowing the challenges The Orkins family recently faced with there daughters birth, I knew I wanted to help.

As you know, Sun-Pac Manufacturing, Inc. has been an active sponsor of the TBKM race for several years. I am proud to say that my company plans on continuing to support this year’s event. We hope that this years TBKM race brings out more and more riders like it has in previous years and sets a new record for the number of riders.

Our sponsorship contribution will challenge all riders to come out to this year’s event. Sun-Pac Manufacturing, Inc. is prepared to donate $5.00 for every rider that participates in the race. I understand that this event brings riders from all over the state and therefore we may be looking at a substantial contribution. I assure you that by knowing All Children’s Hospital will be the recipient of this years fundraiser, I will be proud to hand over a signed check to you and your group.

I hope this encourages everyone to quickly register for this year’s event and be sure to make the necessary arrangements so that you can be present the day of the race.

Let me know if I can further help.

Gary
Old 02-12-2009, 08:46 AM

Thanks Big G. You're awesome!!

Don't forget everyone, Kick off party at Water Sports West on Feb 28th at 6:00pm. Looks like we have a lot of people registering that night for the race. The Jersey's have been ordered and there is a limited supply this year. If you want one you should register early.

-Chris
Old 02-19-2009, 11:03 AM

Hey Chris, is the jersey the same as last years'?