FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Events
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-28-2008, 10:19 AM

Default Lets Race!!!!!

The 2008 TampaBay KiteMasters is finally going off!

www.TBKM.org

I have checked every single wind forecast available and talked to several local meterologists.

Here's the good news:
-The wind should be strong, averaging 16-23 knots
-The tides should be perfect. Low tide is around 4:30 AM so it will be incoming around 1-2 feet deep for much of the race.
-The weather is supposed to be sunny and around 72 degrees.

Here's the not-so-good news:
- The wind will be starting out in a NNW direction and switching to N then NE later in the day.
* I have made this run on a NW and it is easily doable with low tides. Riders will need to stay offshore close to the sandbar. Luckily this wind direction does not cause it to get lighter near downtown. It usually causes it to be stronger.

THESE COULD BE SIDE OFFSHORE WINDS FOR MUCH OF THE RACE. IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT YOUR ABILITIES PLEASE THINK LONG AND HARD BEFORE PARTICIPITATING. THERE MAY OR MAY NOT BE RESCUE VESSELS AVAILABLE TO HELP YOU.

All riders need to meet at the Gandy beach by 8 AM. Riders meeting at 8:30.
We hope to start the race by 9-9:30 AM

Remember to bring someone with you to drive your vehicle to the finish line.

All riders should have a whistle. Wetsuits are recommended for safety and floatation. Booties are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It can be a long walk/swim back to shore.

The post party celebration will be at the Holiday Inn Sunspree (3 miles north of the finish line) once all riders are accounted for.

Please tell your friends and other riders. Some emails have been coming back.

See ya in the morning,
Jayson
www.TBKM.org
Old 04-28-2008, 02:38 PM

Question

Not that I am apposed to the race being held given these conditions, I am just wondering why we are holding the even with NW winds when we've been holding out for NE winds this whole time. Even in the rules of the event it says we will have winds from the North-Northeast-East. We've had many other opportunities to ride NW winds that were stronger than this front. Has there been too much pressure or influence to hold the event soon? Just wondering.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 PM

Here we go....it's race time. With a little luck we will see some good NNE winds in the am. It will probably switch over to NNW by the afternoon. We have seen this pattern a bunch this year.

I will be there early tomorrow to offer any advice regarding self rescue. Everyone should be completely clear on how they would flag their kite and then perform a self rescue. Safetly leashes should be connected to flag points at all times. I will be in a green rodeo with Watersports West on the back.

I brought some goodies with me if anyone is interested. I have whistles, heel straps, and a handfull of reel leashes for sale. I also brought windsurf uphaul lines that would make a good board leash in the event you have to self rescue. I am not recommended these be attached while riding, but it might be nice to have something to attach to the board if your in the water performing a self rescue. I was the self rescue king last year and was sure glad my board was something I didn't need to keep track of while winding up my lines and flying the kite in by hand.

I think my favorite piece of equipment on the race course last year was the heel strap.....what a difference that made......I never lost my board off of my feet and the gulf was a mess.

Should be a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 PM

Default where is the wind?

I am not a race official, but there is no wind tomorrow morning!

Keep it real!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 PM

Gris, I love you like a brother and you may be right....but Jayson has been chasing wind for a long time now. You have had less than a year under your belt. Let's wait and see. It is midnight and the Tyndall Tower bouy out in the gulf is showing 25-28 out of the NNW behind the front. There is some air moving behind this thing.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboflavn View Post
Not that I am apposed to the race being held given these conditions, I am just wondering why we are holding the even with NW winds when we've been holding out for NE winds this whole time. Even in the rules of the event it says we will have winds from the North-Northeast-East. We've had many other opportunities to ride NW winds that were stronger than this front. Has there been too much pressure or influence to hold the event soon? Just wondering.
Being a Nole and all all give you, and everyone, my 2 cents. Many of you might not know me, but I've been around a while and have done this run in NW winds. It does work. Downtown actually nukes and aside from that it should be obvious to stay offshore. when you get to the point (bay vista) there is a little secret, but if I told you it wouldn't be a secret now would it. Right now, I'm thinking we may delay a bit, but theres a safe bet we're racing today. Crazy Jay does know what he's doing.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:43 AM

Thumbs up tampa race

tuesday 4/29,2008 6:40 AM
TAMPA BAY , FL

noaa

Fire Weather Watch
Hazardous Weather Outlook
Red Flag Warning

Today: A 20 percent chance of showers before 8am. Partly cloudy, with a high near 82. North wind between 10 and 13 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 57. North northwest wind between 8 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

godd luck to the organicers , i pass on this one
iko instructor #3301
Naples kite boarding lessons , gear , kite trip , rentals
http://www.naplespaddleboardingrentals.com/
Naples paddleboard rentals-kayak tours -summer camp -meet up -news
http://www.naplespaddleboard.com/

naples,marcos island,bonita beach,san carlo, fort myers
Store 953 3rd ave north naples Florida
239-601-2700
Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 PM

Default Great Race!

Great race today guys! That was my first kitesurfing race. I am not proud of my 1 hr 30 m time, but I learned a lot.

All the pro riders could not be more down to Earth and nice gals and guys!

Bring it next year baby!

G

Keep it real!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 PM

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/loca...?storyid=79273

channel 13 FOX is also running a story.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 PM

Default congrats!

thanks 2 everyone who came out today and made the event a huge success. pics will be posted soon!!!