FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > GEAR & SERVICES!!! > KITING GEAR!
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Talking canbrinha Bar setup

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2011 Cabrinha Switchblade 16m... I love it!

But I'm a shorter rider (5'9") and it seems like when the bar is all out, I can't really lean back on the kite to edge upwind, and I'm having to sheet the bar all the way in just to be able to edge hard, but then I'm so overpowered, this kind of riding is kicking my butt, so any ideas on how to shorten this distance? or is it even a good idea? or any suggestions.

I'm a noob, so any suggestions or words of wisdom are welcomed. I don't wanna just go thinking I know what I'm doing and mess with the lines, mess something up, end up hurting myself or someone else on the beach. I've read enough of these so called kitemares, and I'd say 98% of the times is rider stupidity, so I'm trying not to be a statistic.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. any videos or website step by step tutorials.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:52 PM

I would try the Cabrinha site, they have a lot videos and other info (I think it's under support or tech tips). One of the videos is for tuning your bar, that may help because it deals with adjusting the line lengths so the bar is at the proper position when sheeted all the way in or out. I'm 5'10" and when I started out I felt like I wasnt in the correct position, especially in high wind. Now if I have my bar and lines set up right/tuned correctly and I use the trim straps to match the conditions I don't have any issues. I was also surprised by now soon and somewhat how often the lines need to be adjusted.

You know, some of it may be just getting used to riding and finding the right body position and balance. I'm starting out too but there was a point when I started feeling comfortable and that was more adjusting my body weight against the pull of the kite. I would be hesitant to mess with the line lengths (other then routine tuning). You could shorten by an inch, sheet all the way in and possibly back stall your kite, you could also alter the ability to fully depower when you sheet out...
Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 PM

Thanks Japott for the reply, I did check, and they have how to tune the lines, but I was hoping to get it close, I went out today, and you are right the more I ride it feels better, maybe I'll just get used to it, or perhaps my harness is creeping up a bit too much, cause that I've noticed, when I crash or take a break in the water and readjust my harness a little lower, it definitely feels much better, but with all the jumping over the waves and stuff, I can't get the harness to stay put, so maybe is a harness issue and not a bar issue , lol, oh well is all a learning experience.

Thanks again for the reply, and happy kitting.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It sounds like if the bar is all the way out you are pretty well powered, near overpowered to start. Unless you edge super hard and well you need to fly the kite higher and in turn making edging a lot harder.

Have you tried trimming the kite for less power? You can do this on the pigtails by attaching to the outer most knot on the back lines. There is the trim on the centerline assembly as well of course. You are depowering with that? By trimming both settings for less (or more) power you can increase the performance vs. wind range substantially.

I am 5'7" and usually don't have problems edging unless way overpowered. I try to avoid being that overpowered in the first place for all the obvoius reasons.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-07-2011, 02:59 PM

yeah I've tried trimming but seems like the kite looses guts you know, I'm new to this, and I know the feeling but can't explain it, I don't think I'm overpowered though, I mean not in the conditions I've been out. it just seems like the power of the kite is good, just that if I let go of the bar, i can barely hang on to it by the tips of my fingers, or lower my harness a bit, that seemed to have worked last time I was out.

Thanks RickI

Last edited by pixelpedro; 06-09-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Went out yesterday, I'm going upwind really good, but I don't feel comfortable. I feel like I'm riding in a really weird position, I'm leaning back, but kinda hunched over the board to keep my hand on sheeted out bar ... I feel like I'm in a leaned back poo stand.

I don't know what I look like riding, but this just doesn't seem right ... could it be a bad riding habit already?
Old 06-18-2011, 07:42 PM

Default Advice

Hey ya'll I made a short video of me riding, to help me with my ridding, any advice?

Last edited by ricki; 06-19-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Nice video! My largest kite at around 183 lbs. is a 13 m Crossbow. Part of the problem may be that you are overpowered on a 16 m. With the newer kites, the largest sizes are good for larger, heavier guys and milking the absolute low end. Looking quickly at your clip as near as I can tell your posture and edging look fine, transitions good as well. Have you tried attaching your outside lines to the outermost bridle knots? This will allow maximum depower along with tuning your trim strap. You may need to pull in a little bit on your trim strap to avoid being oversheeted and experiencing poor kite response with that setting.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
Nice video! My largest kite at around 183 lbs. is a 13 m Crossbow. Part of the problem may be that you are overpowered on a 16 m. With the newer kites, the largest sizes are good for larger, heavier guys and milking the absolute low end. Looking quickly at your clip as near as I can tell your posture and edging look fine, transitions good as well. Have you tried attaching your outside lines to the outermost bridle knots? This will allow maximum depower along with tuning your trim strap. You may need to pull in a little bit on your trim strap to avoid being oversheeted and experiencing poor kite response with that setting.
Thanks RickI, I'm 220 I flew a 14 and it was like flying my 12.5, besides I though it was too close to my 12.5, so a little extra couldn't hurt here in Florida.

I have not tried attaching it anywhere than factory setting yet, I know I definitely need to start playing around with the knot and where to attach.

When you mean Pull in the trim strap, meaning depower a bit right?

Thanks for everything.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Ah, 220 lbs, it fits then. Despite that the kite has a lot of grunt even for a heavier guy. I would play with the kite trim both on the kite attachment and trim strap. I wouldn't move an knots but just attach your flying or back lines inside the outermost knot off the kite bridle. Yes, you may need to pull in on the red ball trim lines slightly to avoid the kite being oversheeted and "mushy" flight characteristics with this kite attachment point. You take it in a bit see how it flies in the wind you have, let it out a bit if necessary, experiment with it.

As you progress another thing you could try would be a shorter line set for stronger wind days. The shorter lines reduce the moment arm and power of the kite as you sine it. I was out in real strong clear wind conditions in Curacao within the week and had a chance to work on maximizing performance through trimming and technique in strong conditions. It works but you need to take your time with it and in lighter wind conditions for quite a few sessions. You're welcome!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi