FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Events
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-01-2010, 03:33 PM

Default A "test run" for the Gulf Coast Event Anyone?

I'm not sure of my plans or the long range forecast yet, but the current wind guru looks good for a test run. If the weather holds is anyone up for it? I was thinking totally unofficial but with a start. Everyone abiding by local rules along the way and watching for surfers, but it could be fun. It's a good chance to check your gear for the ride.

Anyone up for it?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Oh yeah...
Old 02-01-2010, 03:59 PM

i know that there are a ton of riders in Tampa / St. Pete so I am assuming that a few would give it a go. Come on Billy P. after your Jupiter win you should be good to go! Raul, etc. wasss up? Ideally, i'd like to finish it off to Sarasota if possible, but I don't like the crossing of the mouth of Tampa Bay thing... I'd rather ride to Cuba! If anyone is into doing sarasota let me know as I wouldn't be doing this alone...
Old 02-01-2010, 04:21 PM

Default sounds good

I like the idea! Let's see what the wind does and we can definitely make something happen!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:34 PM

Honeymoon Island to Trade Winds Resort or the other way around (+ - 30 miles), for a test run? I'm in.

Crossing the shipping channel without full on boat support is silly.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:46 PM

it looks like the longest point to cross the channel is only 2.6 miles provided that you hit the key first. Am I missing something? I agree that alone it's not a good idea at all, but with a few kiters willing to tow it's just north of not a great idea. What ever the case, 30 miles would be a good hit to start. it sounds like we have a few takers. let's pump it up. thx.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Honeymoon Island to Trade Winds Resort or the other way around (+ - 30 miles), for a test run? I'm in.

Crossing the shipping channel without full on boat support is silly.

I'd agree with that. Also, crossing the mouth of the bay adds unnecessary logistical hassle. Transport takes 3 times as long, and the wind can change drastically on the other side....plus its pretty sharkey out there by Egmont Key Maybe better to start/finish PAG/Honeymoon or vice versa, or even go all the way to Ft Desoto. I'm up for it any day the wind is S/SW or WNW/NW - but not to race, just to play in the waves (if we can call them that ) I do DW's every chance I get...recently I was not let on the trolley though...wtf is with that...grumpy driver I guess. Otherwise the trolley is the sweetest deal going and a real treat for St Pete riders.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas