FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 AM

Default The newbie question Im sure you guys get constantly

Ok So I picked the summer to try to get into kitesurfing so a whole lotta waitin and readin and not a lot of actual time to give it a go. I have taken a few hours of lessons so far, plan on getting more but waiting for a sting ray wound to heal from last time(very ouch).

So I have a friend that kites but uses all very old equipment, back when huge kites were the norm. In my lesson we used a 12m and I found it to be extremely powerful (15 mph winds gusting to 20). I am trying to decide on a first real kite to pick up. At his guidance I found a cheap 19m PL Venom but have quickly decided that newer/smaller/LEI makes a lot more sense, and he is more than happy to buy that from me.

I have not gone through a winter season to see what a 'normal' wind range is, nor am I very familiar with the newer kites and what is hype and what is real windrange wise.

I am 220 5'10 and currently ride a litewave wing. I have my eye on a Liquid Force Envy both for its stability, good reviews, and a good deal. Both 12 and 15 are available. I am under the impression that the smaller that will work the better, the friend is insistent that I should go for the 15. Both sides of the argument make sense to me but I thought I would put the question out to those that know the gear as well as the weather. The hope is to get something that will work as much of the time as possible until I can get some epxerience and know what I want to pick up a second kite to fill in the gaps.

So what would you guys go for with this delta kite? 12m or 15m?

Thanks for the help